Review: LA record label Brainfeeder hosts annual show at Hollywood Bowl

Photo courtesy of Brainfeeder Soul good · Brainfeeder is an independent record label based on Los Angeles. They have represented many well-known artists of the electronic and hip-hop genre. They host a show every year with its artists.

Photo courtesy of Brainfeeder
Soul good · Brainfeeder is an independent record label based on Los Angeles. They have represented many well-known artists of the electronic and hip-hop genre. They host a show every year with its artists.

On Saturday, thousands migrated to the Hollywood Bowl for Los Angeles label Brainfeeder offering performances from Thundercat, Flying Lotus, George Clinton and the Parliaments, Funkadelic, Shabazz Palaces and The Gaslamp Killer.

Brainfeeder’s annual show, which they have hosted since 2008, includes artist compiled from their label, which specializes in electronic, jazz, R&B and hip-hop music.

As the crowd gathered into the theater, psychedelic DJ Gaslamp Killer spun music that ranged from hits to more obscure tracks.

Shabazz Palaces took the stage next for an official opening of the show. The members rapped and created music from both electronic music devices and live instruments to create an afro-futuristic hip-hop mayhem.

As the bowl came to full capacity, Thundercat took the stage with a double-necked bass guitar. Michael McDonald of Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers fame also appeared as a special guest and performed the Doobie Brothers’ “What a Fool Believes.” McDonald also hung around with Thundercat to perform “Them Changes” to close the act.

Funkadelic featuring George Clinton and Parliament then took over the stage with dozens of back-up dancers and musicians performing a jam-session as they warmed up. The crowd went into a nostalgic world as record-topping hits played one after the other. One of his top hits from the 70s, “Flashlight,” went into a 15 minute jam-session where every musician on stage performed a solo and harmonized together. The entire audience was grooving to hits like “Atomic Dog” and “Knee Deep”.

Songs from Kendrick Lamar, Future and Funkadelic were also mixed into the sets. The crowd danced to “King Kunta” and “The Power of that P.” Kendrick Lamar was nominated for president in the audience and the performers on stage.

The psychedelic hip-hop DJ told the crowd that he was “making a movie” about them and brought the concert to an end with a unforgettable performance.