‘SC Alum, EDM artist ZHU returning to his roots

ZHU is coming back to his roots. The wildly popular and elusive electronic dance music sensation who got his start as a Trojan will be performing at The Shrine Auditorium and Expo Hall on Oct. 12, returning to the part of Los Angeles where he found his voice.

Born Steven Zhu, the artist graduated in 2014 from the USC Thornton School of Music after spending his four years at USC deeply involved in the music scene on campus, as well as pursuing other interests. A common DJ fixture at events on and around USC, as well as a member of the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, ZHU was fully committed to his undergraduate experience while also honing his music-making craft. 

Right out of school, ZHU went to work, pursuing his dream of creating EDM. Yet he was wary of the constant thrum of celebrity that surrounds so many artists. Instead of putting out his own image and name to help boost his music, ZHU chose to initially remain anonymous in order to let his music speak for itself.

By 2014, more three years out of college, ZHU signed a record deal with Mind of a Genius Records/Columbia Records and released his first song, “Moves Like Miss Jackson,” on SoundCloud. The song was a mashup of many Outkast tunes, and ZHU’s anonymous track managed to spark a great deal of excitement in the EDM community. He immediately began to build a loyal following online, and speculation circled around the web as to who produced the track without an artist.

He released several more tracks on the website while remaining an unknown entity, though he finally decided to reveal himself as ZHU via the EP The Nightday, which included his smash-hit, “Faded.” The song ended up with a Grammy Music Awards nomination for Best Dance Recording, though ZHU worked hard to remain largely anonymous despite the fanfare.

ZHU has never been interested in the trappings of modern celebrity, choosing to remain largely absent on social media and avoid popular culture trends. He rarely tweets, does not Snapchat and is very selective with the promotional interviews in which he will participate. In maintaining the importance of his music over his own image, ZHU has created a cloak of mystery around him. He does not play many concerts, with only 14 shows in 2014 and 2015 combined. In comparison, Disclosure, an artist who many compare ZHU’s sound to, played a 40-date tour in a matter of months.

ZHU’s ability to land major gigs while keeping a low profile is a testament to his strong fan base. Many USC students saw ZHU perform at Coachella in the Sahara Tent, yet his upcoming performance at The Shrine will be particularly special. Playing at a venue so close to campus, ZHU is excited to return to a place he knows and feels connected to. With the dropping of his debut album, Generationwhy, in July, the concert is sure to be full of fans excited to hear the newest music from such a successful artist. The Trojan Family cannot wait to welcome back a successful, exciting member of our community.