Sips Tea: Nah-maste On My Couch This Weekend

Photo courtesy of Mandi Belle

Photo courtesy of Mandi Belle

The weather may not be cold enough to pull out that sweater or those new thigh-high boots you bought, but one thing that is guaranteed this fall is some good Netflix and chill material.

If you’re anything like me, going out after a long week of classes and work sometimes is just not the move. Whether it’s to save a dollar or just spend some quality time on your couch, trading in a face of makeup at a party for a face mask at home is always satisfying. And tonight, your girl will most definitely be rocking hers after the whirlwind I experienced working at the Emmys – the award show for television series. If you’re just joining the Sips Tea family, I work at a fashion PR agency where we style A list celebrities every day (yes, sometimes even on the weekends). Let’s just say our office looked like a trendy tornado came through and left piles of designer dresses in its wake.

So now that the showroom and I are in recovery mode, let’s get into my list of the best binge-watching material coming soon to a TV (or laptop) near you.

1. Mr. Robot

Having just binge-watched season two, I can confidently tell you that this show is a must-watch for many reasons. One, it satisfies any urge you’ve ever had to “fight the man.” Two, it’s written, directed, and produced by the same person which makes for consistent edge-of-your-seat-worthy storylines. Three, Rami Malek just won “Best Lead in a Drama Series,” beating out Kevin Spacey in House of Cards. For those of you that are familiar, you know that’s a pretty big deal.

1.  Jane The Virgin  

If you’d rather just sit down and enjoy something a little more light-hearted but still with a plot twist every now and then, you might want to pencil Jane the Virgin into your next free four-hour slot. With season three returning to The CW in October, it’s a perfect time to get updated on this soap opera-esque TV show that features a love triangle, an evil twin, and a lot of baby mama drama. Plus, the show is half in spanish, half in english (with subtitles don’t worry), so you might even pick up a few new vocabulary words here and there if you don’t already speak spanish.

1. Empire/Power

Empire returned this past Wednesday with a bang,  and it looks like this season is going to be another eventful one. Now, I mainly watch the show for Cookie because I think she is my alter ego to a T, but if the series gets a little too theatrical for you, I highly suggest watching Power. It’s essentially the more raw director’s cut version that features a better storyline and even more conniving characters.

1. How To Get Away With Murder

You know Shonda Rhimes (a former Trojan) never fails, so my fourth suggestion for your next Netflix and chill session is any one of her many shows. This woman owns thursdays so add it to your planner if you haven’t already and get your wine ready. How To Get Away With Murder holds a special place in my heart because the show has been filmed many times on campus. Gotta support the Trojan fam!

1. Fear The Walking Dead

If you’re already a fan of the Walking Dead franchise, then its spin off series Fear The Walking Dead will not disappoint. Having started this series with my boyfriend, I would suggest that you cuddle up with someone you’ve been crushing on or dating and enjoy a marathon of zombies together. What a perfect way to get closer (literally). I will admit I have jumped now and then because the show features many surprises, but it’s not limited to the frights. The plot is also on point.

Hopefully the weather gets its act together, because I’ve been waiting to bust out my “come-up” coat for too long. Although it’s not October yet, these shows are all treats, not tricks.

Samantha Johnson is a senior majoring in communication. Her blog column, Sips Tea, runs every Friday.