USC offense prepares for the best defense in the Pac-12

Though the Trojans finally broke into the College Football Playoff rankings, the team kept their heads level at practice on Tuesday. No. 20 USC is one of only two teams ranked in the playoff rankings that is not ranked in the AP, joined by No. 25 Arkansas. This week head coach Clay Helton is preparing his squad to take on No. 4 Washington on the road.

Brian Chin | Daily Trojan Homeward bound · Redshirt senior offensive lineman Zach Banner will return to his home state when the Trojans play at No. 4 Washington.

Brian Chin | Daily Trojan
Homeward bound · Redshirt senior offensive lineman Zach Banner will return to his home state when the Trojans play at No. 4 Washington.

“This is a different team than what we’ve faced the past five weeks,” Helton said. “We’ve seen some really good run teams … and some really good pass teams … and now we’re facing a team that is extremely balanced.”

Washington boasts the strongest defense in the country, allowing only 17 points per game. The Husky defense is second in the nation in fumbles recovered (12) and third in turnovers (22). Off of those turnovers, Washington has scored 86 points, while allowing just seven off of their turnovers.

In addition to practicing for a top-tier defense, the Trojans are also practicing in severe conditions to get ready for a hostile environment. The team practiced with sirens, barking dog sounds and screaming, in addition to wet-ball drills and squirting water at players.

“If it’s over-the-top now, Saturday should be easy,” Helton said. “We try to get them accustomed to any noises. We are trying to get them comfortable with being uncomfortable.”

Redshirt senior offensive lineman Zach Banner, who is from Washington, said he has 40-50 tickets for friends and family, but isn’t expecting a friendly crowd.

“I’m excited to play there,” Banner said. “But they’re not going to treat me like a home crowd.”

Injury Report

Senior running back Justin Davis continued his return to the field, practicing Tuesday in a limited way. After practice, he said that he and Helton have talked about his return and he is fine with being eased back in after the impressive performances of sophomore running back Ronald Jones II.

Another sophomore running back, Aca’Cedric Ware, worked with trainers today. Also on the offensive side of the ball, junior offensive lineman Damien Mama didn’t practice due to a sore knee, but is expected to return Wednesday.

Redshirt senior defensive tackle Stevie Tu’ikolovatu didn’t practice, but Helton said he is hopeful he will return this week. Sophomore defensive back Iman Marshall was held out of practice with a hamstring injury. Junior cornerback Jonathan Lockett continued to struggle with a hip injury and was held out. Senior linebacker Michael Hutchings practiced, but Helton said they are trying to protect his calf injury but it is holding up.