Impulsive freshman year decisions

So far, my first semester of college has been a bit crazy. Wait, let me rephrase that: my first semester of college has consisted of ups and downs, but mostly of impulsive decisions.

A month ago, I impulsively decided to chop seven inches off my hair. Yes, I wanted to do it for awhile, but the actual ordeal of getting my haircut was impulsive. I went home for the first time in two months and decided to chop my hair off after becoming upset with people from my past. I called my hairstylist, walked into the shop, and came out looking completely different. I didn’t even give it a second thought, but I ended up surprising my friends and family.

Last week, I made another impulsive decision: I got my nose pierced. Like cutting my hair, it was always something I wanted to do. However, I never acted on the impulse. I love piercings, but, unfortunately, I am terrified of needles. Thus, I never thought I would actually get the piercing, which was always something that saddened me. My friend who knew this encouraged me to get my nose pierced after we got brunch. We were in downtown when I voiced my yearning about wanting a nose piercing. My friend immediately checked Yelp for good piercing places near us and found the perfect one: Tinta Rebelde Art Gallery and Tattoo Studio. We drove to the shop which surprised me as I did not think I would make it into the actual shop. I do not know what happened- or when it happened- but something changed in me and I walked in despite my fear. I was nervous, of course, but I did something I have always wanted to do.

Ironically, after the piercing I almost passed out because I was overwhelmed by the fact that I actually got the piercing and I stood up too quickly, but that was not what I took away from that day. I learned that I have changed in college and changed for the better. For the first time in my life, I am completely in control and no one is watching over me, so I am doing things and making decisions that I have always wanted to do.

I no longer am scared of what people will think of me or the consequences of my actions because I have realized that every decision I have made has been a good one because I have wanted to do it. And maybe that’s the point of college – making instantaneous decisions that make you happy or help you grow. I feel completely different than the person I was when I walked onto campus in August. I can genuinely say to others that I am a more mature, happier person who might make crazy decisions, but they are decisions I want to make so I will keep on making them.