With a Twist: What To Do in Los Angeles if You Are Not Attending a Music Festival

Photo from AMP Radio

Festival season has begun, but, not all of us will be attending the infamous Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals. So, what do you do in Los Angeles when everyone is away? You’ve come to the right place. This blog is dedicated to help you decide what to do in Los Angeles if you are not attending a music festival — with a twist.

If you love music but aren’t “festival ready”:

For music lovers, I would highly recommend attending Coachella or Stagecoach. But the festival life is not for everyone. Instead, try a local concert such as John Mayer at the Forum on April 21st.

If you love the outdoors but not the polo grounds of Coachella Valley:

Relax and enjoy the outdoors in Santa Monica with Run + Yoga — “ROGA.” Free on Saturday mornings, this event hosts a two and five mile run starting at the Santa Monica Pier at 8 a.m. and is followed by a 9 a.m. yoga session by the beach.

If you would have just gone to Coachella for the food:

Better than a Coachella watermelon, the Museum of Ice Cream opening in Los Angeles. Get your tickets now to visit the museum and have the chance to swim in a pool of sprinkles.

If you are looking for a new adventure but are trying to stay local in Los Angeles:

Attend VRLA Expo 2017 for an entertaining and innovative experience. Located at the Los Angeles Convention Center, VRLA is the world’s largest virtual reality expo, allowing people to try hundreds of VR and AR experiences.

If you love live performances, but prefer a theater stage over the Sahara Tent:

The Ahmanson Theater is putting on a production of Into The Woods for the month of April.

If you really would have just wanted to go to a music festival for the Instagram:  

On April 22, the Annenberg Space for Photography in Century City is hosting a Snap Workshop, teaching the best ways to take your Instagram account to the next level, with informative sessions on how to work the business side of Instagram.

If you want an outdoor experience but just for a day:

Spend Earth Day at Grand Park in Los Angeles. The park is hosting Earth Day LA, filled with live music and food trucks (sounds like Coachella to me?!).

Los Angeles has endless activities to offer. To those of you attending music festivals, I wish you nothing but good times. However, for those of you like me and will not be attending the festivals this year, maybe my suggestions will spark some ideas for entertaining ways to spend these upcoming weekends.

Carly Price is a freshman majoring in journalism. Her column, With a Twist, runs every week on Wednesday.