Viane Talamaivao to undergo season-ending surgery

Katie Chin | Daily Trojan

Senior offensive guard Viane Talamaivao will require surgery for a torn pectoral muscle and will miss the remainder of the season, according to head coach Clay Helton. Talamaivao, who suffered his injury last week against Washington State, was a key part of an already depleted offensive line, and has most likely played his final game as a Trojan.

USC football also gathered on Wednesday for the team’s second practice since its first loss of the season to Washington State last week. The Trojans had an intense session as they prepare for Oregon State at home this Saturday.

More Injuries

Helton said that junior tackle Chuma Edoga, who hasn’t practiced this week, is “out for now” with a high ankle sprain.

“All of a sudden, we have a little bit of adversity,” Helton said. “And you can either sit back or you can get your jaw set and go be the answer.”

On a brighter note, Helton said that redshirt junior left tackle Toa Lobendahn and redshirt senior wide receiver Steven Mitchell are “progressing in the right direction” to play against Oregon State this Saturday.

A Strange Game

In a bizarre development from last week’s game, redshirt freshman defensive lineman Liam Jimmons is being investigated by Washington State University Police for allegedly leveling one of the Washington State fans who rushed the field after the game.

Junior linebacker and team captain Cameron Smith said it can be more unnerving than expected for players when opposing fans rush the field.

“People don’t realize it can be kind of scary: You don’t know what those guys are doing, a lot of them are probably intoxicated after a big win,” Smith said. “Having 10,000 people running at you is kind of freaky.”

Emotional Practice

Coming off the team’s first loss in its last 13 games since last season, perhaps it was not surprising to see the Trojans having a fiery practice. Even during warm-ups, coaches yelled “Start fast!” at stretching players — a message that the team can’t continue to play close games into the fourth quarter.

At the end of practice, the 11-on-11 drills gave players a chance to unleash their pent-up emotions. Whether it was the defense or offense making a play, the Trojans screamed support for their teammates. The drill ended with a touchdown, followed by the offense rushing the field and smothering the receiver.

“They were having a blast on that field at the end,” Helton said. “I truly believe that they wish they could play today.”