Two schools added to USC charter network

Two new charter high schools recently opened in Los Angeles with help from the USC Rossier School of Education, completing a plan to establish five high schools that the school announced in 2012.

USC Brío College Prep and USC Esperanza College Prep, located in Westlake and East Los Angeles, respectively, are part of the Ednovate charter network, which inlcudes USC as a partner. They follow a learning style similar to that of other high schools in the Ednovate network, which focuses on personalizing the learning experience and using innovative technology.

“Now that school has started, we’re challenging students to think critically about how their everyday language affects the safety of spaces, how empathy goes a long way and how race, gender, education and other things contribute to how society operates,” Brío Principal Jeannie Cho told USC News.

Like the other high schools within the network, Brío and Esperanza started with only a freshman class and will add one new grade each year. The schools will reach full capacity in 2020.

Ednovate’s first school, USC Hybrid High College Prep, opened in downtown Los Angeles in 2012. It was followed by East College Prep in Lincoln Heights in 2015 and USC College Prep in Santa Ana in 2016.

Ednovate also accomplished its goal of having  every student in its first two senior classes from Hybrid High College Prep graduate. Each student was admitted to at least one four-year university, according to USC News.