Time travel to these historic LA homes

Four breathtaking homes to visit for local history and art aficionados.

By HALO LYMAN
The Gamble House is famous for its appearance in the film “Back to the Future” as Doc Brown’s home. The vast, yet cozy, American Craftsman property is located in Pasadena. (Halo Lyman / Daily Trojan)

As the school year rolls around the corner, USC students are left to ponder the age-old question: What should I get up to this weekend?

Exploring Los Angeles can be a daunting task because of the overwhelming nature of public transportation and, more importantly, the difficulty of choosing what to do among the dozens of available options. If you find yourself relating to these stressors, fret no longer! Paying a visit to these properties will make for weekend plans that are thought-provoking, unique and off-the-beaten-path, especially if binge-watching Architectural Digest tours on YouTube is your kind of thing.

Gamble House in Pasadena

Gamble House, with its emphasis on nature-inspired design and utilitarian simplicity, is emblematic of the Arts & Crafts movement. Built as a winter getaway for the affluent Gamble family, it was designed in 1908 by Charles and Henry Greene; everything in the house was custom-designed by the Greene brothers, from the structure itself to the furniture and decorations, such as the rugs. With 17 different types of wood used in the house’s construction, stepping into the Gamble House feels like walking among nature with the building’s muted yet harmonious color palette and earthy, wooden scent that lingers in the air.

Whether it be the stunning stained glass windows that accompany the house’s Japanese-style decor, the intentionally dim lighting in the house that exudes nothing but hygge or the fact that “Back to the Future” (1985) was filmed here, there’s truly something for everyone to love about this charming home.

How to visit
The Gamble House is open 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday through Sunday and Tuesday. Tickets for docent-led tours can be purchased ahead of time on the house’s website. Student tickets cost $12.50 each.

How to get there
Take the E-Line Metro east from Jefferson/USC to Pico, then transfer to the A-Line Metro to travel east from Pico to Memorial Park. The walk from Memorial Park to Gamble House is approximately 20 minutes.

Hollyhock House in East Hollywood

Among the diversity of Southern California residences that range in style from craftsman to Spanish colonial, Hollyhock House’s intricate Mayan Revival design is truly unique. Commissioned by an oil heiress with a fervent appreciation for the arts, Frank Lloyd Wright completed construction for Aline Barnsdall’s home and the accompanying Barnsdall Gallery Theatre in 1921.

The design of Hollyhock House flows as smoothly as the stream that runs through one of its gardens, and the open floor plan seamlessly transports visitors from room to room. Bedecked with Buddhist sculptures, a massive fireplace to read and lounge by and lush garden spaces surrounding the property, Hollyhock House is a centenarian force to be reckoned with.

It would be remiss not to add that, in 2019, Hollyhock House became the first L.A. site to be recognized on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Its unpretentious design that blends nature with the structure itself fosters a primitive comfort among visitors rather than intimidation by the house’s grandeur. From the entrance of the house, there are spectacular views of the rolling Hollywood Hills, and, if that wasn’t enough, the blush pink hollyhock flowers that flank the house on every other side can’t be forgotten, either.

How to visit
Hollyhock House is open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday through Saturday. Tickets for self-guided tours can be purchased ahead of time on the Hollyhock House website or in-person. Student tickets cost $3 each.

How to get there
Take the 2 bus toward Westwood/UCLA from Jefferson/Hoover (right outside USC Village) to Sunset/Vermont. The walk from Sunset/Vermont to Hollyhock House is about nine minutes.

The Schindler House in West Hollywood acts as the headquarters for the MAK Center for Art and Architecture. The center hosts various contemporary and experimental art exhibits year-round. (Marissa Ding / Daily Trojan)

Schindler House in West Hollywood

Designed in 1921 by Austrian American architect Rudolph Schindler, Schindler House is recognized as one of the first homes of the modern architecture movement. Drawing upon the cohabiting nature of camping, Schindler was inspired by the bucolic campsites at Yosemite National Park to design Schindler House for himself and his wife.

Built in an L-shape, Schindler House’s unorthodox design includes two private apartments for two couples to each have their own private spaces, while also having the freedom to collaborate and spend time together in the communal kitchen that joins the two apartments. Despite its location in lively West Hollywood, Schindler House sits on a refreshingly secluded street that almost makes one forget about the urban background in which it rests.

Within Schindler House’s walls, the MAK Center for Art and Architecture, which currently owns the property, holds art exhibitions, tours and other quirky events year-round to satiate your curiosity for modern art and local architecture.

How to visit
Schindler House is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. Tickets can be reserved in advance on the MAK Center website or purchased in-person. Student tickets cost $7 each.

How to get there
Take the 754 bus toward Vermont/Sunset from Vermont/Jefferson to Vermont/Melrose. Then, take the 10 bus toward West Hollywood from Melrose/Vermont to Melrose/Harper. The walk from Melrose/Harper to Schindler House is about seven minutes.

Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills

Tucked away in Beverly Hills’ array of timelessly elegant homes is Greystone Mansion, a Tudor Revival home designed in 1927 by Gordon Kaufmann. Commissioned by members of the famed Doheny family, Greystone Mansion is more than 46,000 square feet in size and boasts an impressive 18 acres of land. With well-maintained grounds that feature regal Italian cypress trees, plenty of places to sit in the shade and accessible walking paths around the mansion’s exterior, this historic site is fit for a king.

The estate, with its splendid gardens and space for a passeggiata, has been featured in many celebrated films and television shows over the years, including “Gilmore Girls” and “The Social Network” (2010). Given that Greystone Mansion’s verdant backdrop is a popular choice among filmmakers, it presents the perfect opportunity for Instagram photo ops as well.

How to visit
The grounds, which include the gardens and courtyards of Greystone Mansion, are open to the public daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Admission is free and requires no ticket reservation. Unfortunately, because of the coronavirus pandemic, guests are not allowed inside the mansion until further notice.

How to get there
Take the 2 bus toward Westwood/UCLA from Jefferson/Hoover to Sunset/Alta. The walk from Sunset/Alta to Greystone Mansion is about 13 minutes.