Trojan freshman phenoms to watch

Top USC recruits look to make an immediate impact in the 2023-2024 season.

By STEFANO FENDRICH & JOSHUA SACHER
Freshman quarterback Malachi Nelson showed off his arm strength and accuracy at USC’s Spring Game back in April. He aims to be the next superstar quarterback produced by Head Coach Lincoln Riley. (Robert Westermann / Daily Trojan)

USC always seems to be a desired destination for anyone and everyone. But with Athletics gaining more and more prominence, more athletes are deciding to commit to the University’s storied programs. These are a few incoming Trojans that all USC fans should look out for during their upcoming seasons.

Malachi Nelson, football

Ranked as the best player and best quarterback in the class of 2023 by ESPN, Nelson looks to be the successor to Heisman Trophy winner Caleb Williams. Nelson — 6 feet 3 inches and 190 pounds — passed for 2,898 yards and 35 touchdowns for Los Alamitos High School on his way to earning the California Gatorade Player of the Year.

Nelson joins a USC quarterback room featuring Williams, redshirt sophomore Miller Moss and redshirt sophomore Jake Jensen. Head Coach Lincoln Riley has already said Moss will be the backup to Williams, so Nelson will have to wait his turn to shine on the gridiron. However, Nelson’s game will only improve as he will be able to sit back and learn from an elite quarterback in Williams. In Riley’s system, the sky’s the limit for his career at USC.

Zachariah Branch, football

One of the most electrifying players in high school football last year, Branch was yet another top recruit that propelled USC to the eighth-ranked recruiting class in the country. At Bishop Gorman High School, Branch was a Nevada Southern 5A Regional champion in multiple track and field events, as well as being ranked as the best wide receiver in the class of 2023.

Branch showed off his incredible catch radius and next-level speed in the spring game and has continued to succeed in the offseason. Despite the loss of Jordan Addison to the NFL, USC’s wide receiver room is stacked with talented receivers such as Arizona transfer Dorian Singer and redshirt senior Tahj Washington. It will be interesting to see how much playing time Branch will get at the beginning of the season, but it wouldn’t be surprising if he makes a big impact throughout the season.

Maribel Flores, women’s soccer

Maribel Flores is a name all Trojan fans should start to remember. The 18-year-old true freshman has already made her mark on the international soccer stage. In June, Flores helped Mexico win the 2023 CONCACAF U20 Championship. She tallied three goals and one assist in five games during the competition. But that doesn’t compare to just a year ago when she dominated at the U17 CONCACAF Tournament she notched eight goals and seven assists.

She was the No. 18 ranked player in the 2023 class by Top Drawer Soccer and has already made an impact for the Trojans. In soccer’s opening 1-0 win over Michigan, Flores was one of just two freshmen to get the start for the Trojans. Flores is the real deal and will always be a goal threat for the Trojans up top at the forward position.

Head Coach Lincoln Riley brought in the eighth-ranked recruiting class in the country for 2023. Star wide receiver Zachariah Branch was a big reason for the high ranking and could be a big piece to USC’s success. (Simon Park / Daily Trojan file photo)

London Wijay, women’s volleyball

The accolades London Wijay has already garnered in her young career are impressive, to say the least. Outside hitter is a stacked position for the Trojans, with senior Skylar Fields having the second most kills in the country last season. But Wijay is more than ready for this opportunity to play for USC. She’s so ready that she completed high school a whole year early and reclassified to 2023 to play for the Trojans this year. She was the No. 2 ranked prospect in California, according to PrepDig.

The back-to-back CIF Southern Section Girls’ Volleyball Player of the Year announced her commitment to the Trojans just last week. She also recently was named the most valuable player at the 2023 AAU 18 Open National Championship where her team won the whole thing. Wijay is more than accomplished and looks to be a great addition to the already strong Trojan squad.

Bailey Shoemaker, women’s golf

Ranked as GolfChannel.com’s No. 1 ranked recruit in the class of 2023, Bailey Shoemaker is already getting noticed. She is ranked No. 83 in the World Amateur Golf Rankings with nine top 10 finishes and one career win. She’ll join a team that is coming off a Pac-12 title and reaching the NCAA championship match just a season ago.

Earlier this month, Shoemaker competed in the 2023 U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship and finished tied for ninth place. She’s been on the amateur circuit for almost three years now, so she already has experience playing at a high level. By the time golf season ramps up, she’ll look to make an immediate impact on the team and continue her high level play.