YOU CAN BET ON IT

Sports gambling 101: A beginner’s guide to sports gambling

All you need to know about gambling on sports in a safe and enjoyable way.

By JOSHUA SACHER
 (Alois Komenda / Unsplash)

Let me just start by prefacing that I am aware sports gambling can be an addiction that may result in severe consequences, if done irresponsibly. However, the same can be said for stock trading and other investments. Both stock trading and sports betting involve risking money with the hope of making a profit, and both sectors strive to minimize risk while maximizing gain.

Now that we got that out of the way, your beginner’s guide to sports gambling can commence.

Betting the money line

In almost every game, there will be a money line for both teams that you can bet on. Betting on the money line essentially means you are putting money on which team you think will win the game. The team that is the perceived favorite will always have a money line in the negative. The bigger the favorite, the lower the money line. For example, a favored team that has a -400 moneyline is more likely to win than a favored team that has a -200 money line. It is the same case scenario for the underdog, whose money line is typically in the positive. An underdog team that has a +200 money line is more likely to win than an underdog team that has a +400 moneyline.

But what in the world does +200 and -400 even mean?

For any money line in the positive, it means how much money you would win if you bet $100. So if the money line is +200, you would win $200. For any money line in the negative, it means how much money you would have to bet to win $100. So if the money line is -400, you would have to bet $400 to win $100. You should not be betting that much money, but I’ll get into that later.

Betting against the spread

Another option for each game is betting against the spread. Similar to the money line, the team that is favored will have a spread in the negative and the underdog team will have a spread in the positive. The number in the positive and negative will always be the same. For example, in USC’s upcoming game against Nevada, the Trojans are -38, whereas the Wolfpack are +38.

So, what does that mean?

If you bet on USC -38, it means USC needs to beat Nevada by more than 38 points for you to win your bet. If you bet on Nevada +38, it means Nevada needs to lose the game by less than 38 points or win for you to win your bet. Another fun way to look at it is Nevada starts the game up 38-0. In most cases, both spreads will have -110 odds.

Hopefully, you’re starting to get the hang of it. Let’s look at one more common sports gambling bet that millions of Americans wager on.

Over/Under betting

The over/under bet is pretty self-explanatory. Each game is given an over/under for the amount of points scored in the game by both teams combined. In the upcoming USC game, the over/under is 66.5 points.

What does that mean?

If you bet the over on points, it means if you add USC’s final score to Nevada’s final score and the number is 67 or higher, then you win your bet. However, if the number is 66 or lower, then you lose your bet. The same idea applies to if you bet the under on points. To put it in context, if you bet the over and the final score is 42-28, you would win your bet because 42+28=70 which is higher than 66.5. Just like betting against the spread, in most cases, both the over and the under will have -110 odds.

Now that you know the basics, here are some essential tips to ensure you are gambling safely and responsibly.

1. Bet low amounts: It’s important to not get carried away. As I mentioned before, sports gambling should be low-risk, high-reward. Betting low amounts is a smart way to ensure you don’t lose too much money. You can always work your way up when you gain more experience.

2. Do your research: While betting on any game makes it immediately more interesting to watch, it is important to bet on sports you have previous knowledge of. You are much more likely to win your bet if you know what you’re betting on. This isn’t roulette.

3. Set a limit: It is necessary that you set boundaries for yourself in terms of how often you bet. Gambling can become an addiction, so you need to make sure it is not a part of your daily routine. Every once in a while, gambling for a big game can be entertaining and a good way to make some extra cash, but doing it every day becomes a problem.

If you are in a state in which sports gambling is illegal, you are under 21 years old or you don’t want to spend actual money, there are several gambling sites and apps such as BetUp that allow you to sports gamble legally and risk-free.

Now you are equipped with the basics and tips of sports gambling. Have fun, be safe and when in doubt, bet on the Trojans!

Joshua Sacher is a sophomore writing about the growing sports gambling phenomenon in his column, “You Can Bet on It” which runs every other Thursday. He is also a sports editor at the Daily Trojan.