Trends to keep you stylish this semester

If you’re overwhelmed by your wardrobe, here’s a fall fashion guide on what’s in.

By REGAN MADING
(Noah Demus / Daily Trojan)

Fall semester is in full swing: whether you’re walking to class, spending a day out in Los Angeles or going to a club meeting, you’ve got to dress accordingly. 

Functionality, in tandem with style and staying on trend, is at the forefront of most college students’ minds. It’s important to balance a love of the trend cycle and a good old-fashioned shopping haul with personal style and sustainability. Here is a guide to keeping your closet fresh and dressing to impress this semester.

I’m charmed

Adding a touch of personality to any old necklace or bracelet is hard to turn down, so it’s easy to understand why charm jewelry is back and better than ever. From a Foundrae dupe to a necklace chock full of personal relics, a charm necklace or bracelet is a fun touch for any outfit. You can add charms to a chain you already own or add eclectic charm jewelry to your rotation. The best news of all is that these pieces can be worn every day, which is great for building a personal style and signature look. 

Sporty spice

Whether you’re rolling out of bed for an 8 a.m. or running from a Dulce coffee date to a CorePower yoga sculpt class, athletic wear offers a comfortable everyday option. Rather than closing your eyes and digging around your rejects (clothes you like, but not enough to regularly wear) drawer, you can spruce up any old biker shorts and athletic tank by coordinating colors, throwing on a cute pair of sneakers and stacking up jewelry. 

I’m sensing a pattern

While the white-tank-and-jeans combo can be tempting, it’s always fun to add a twist to your wardrobe with a little bit of cheetah or stripes here and there. Mixing patterns, metals, textures and colors is a blast, but that may not be your taste. To slowly introduce patterns into your wardrobe, you can swap out your plain tank for a striped one or your simple shoes for some polka dot sneakers. Since patterns go in and out of style frequently, patterned garments are usually easily accessible at the thrift store. 

Personal touch

One of the best ways to maintain a sustainable closet is to refurbish and upcycle old pieces instead of buying new clothes. An old skirt can become a tube top; an out-of-style dress, a two-piece set. Moral of the story: adding a personal touch to a basic piece never fails — and  if it does, at least it wasn’t a brand-new item. 

Bright and beautiful

The theme of these fashion tips comes down to one thing: individuality. What better way to add your personality to an outfit than adding pops of your favorite colors? A touch of pink, blue or red can be more than a splash of color; it can also add some joy to a basic look that you can wear to class or the dining hall. 

Keep it brief 

If you’ve been doing any sort of doom-scrolling this summer, you are bound to have come across a TikTok or two featuring someone wearing boxer shorts as a style choice. Underwear as outerwear is not a new idea, but wearing boxers as shorts subverts gender style expectations while also flipping the way clothes are meant to be worn. Boxer shorts can be worn with a tank and some sneakers for a more relaxed look, or they can be dressed up with a nicer blouse and some boots for a more “weird-core” look. Boxers can help keep you cool, both temperature-wise and stylistically. 

A trip to Capri

A rather controversial trend is up next: capris! The cropped pants have been in-and-out of style for the past few decades, but it’s making a comeback and can be spotted at many popular stores, including Urban Outfitters and Free People. Capris, although contentious, are quite fun. They can be worn with almost anything, from a soccer jersey, à la Bella Hadid, or a nice blouse. This trend is a great way to spice up a basic outfit with something that adds some interest and sparks conversation. 

As the hot air turns slightly cooler and the morning sun gets shaded with clouds, wardrobes are also changing. This semester is all about balancing the latest styles with your personality. Even if the above tips aren’t for you, the most important advice of all is to never stop experimenting with your wardrobe and embracing your unique style because, after all, much like vintage finds, you are one of a kind.