ended

USC wins in landslide vs. Nevada — as it happened

by STEFANO FENDRICH & JACK HALLINAN
Last updated:
(Ethan Thai / Daily Trojan)

PUT ESPN GAME ID IN THE CODE BLOCK BELOW

You can find the game ID in the URL of ESPN’s live scores page for the game:
e.g. in the URL https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401523996

the ID is 401523996.

In the code block, find the code that says, e.g.:

// Game ID
const gameId = “401523996”;

and replace the number with the actual Game ID. IN QUOTES.

USC Football Live Scores
📌 PINNED

The Trojans win 66-14, wiping the floor with the Wolf Pack despite missing three starter linebackers.

QB Caleb Williams was also out after Q3. This was USC’s first match against Nevada since 1929.

The game so far:

• TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q1 12:45. Williams to Branch. Kick GOOD.
  • Touchdown Wolf Pack, Q1 11:01. Lewis to Dollars. Kick good.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q1 5:18. Lloyd. Kick GOOD.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q1 2:13. Williams to Washington. Kick GOOD.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q2 14:08, Jackson III. Kick GOOD.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q2 6:17, Williams to Rice. Kick GOOD.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q3 10:08, Williams to Washington. Kick GOOD.
  • FIELD GOAL, Q4 13:30, Lynch.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS (DEFENSIVE), Q4 12:05, Lewis sacked. Kick GOOD.
  • Touchdown Wolf Pack, Q4 11:18, Bianco to Bell (77 yards). Kick good.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q4 9:11, Joyner (47-yard run). Kick GOOD.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q4 9:09, Moss to Robinson (71 yards). Kick GOOD.
7:01 p.m.

TROJANS WIN.

FINAL: USC 66-14 Nevada. The Trojans played hard until the final whistle, with a sack on the final play of the game from De’Jon Benton on Nevada QB AJ Bianco. The defense appeared to prove their doubters wrong after a questionable Week 0 performance. 

6:51 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Freshman receiver Duce Robinson earns his first USC touchdown! The 6-foot-6 former five-star recruit gets open in the backfield, hauling in Moss’s pass and breaking loose for a 66-14 USC lead.

6:49 p.m.

Another Nevada drive ends in disappointment for the Wolf Pack. The Trojan defense forces a turnover on downs with 4:56 left in the fourth. Miller Moss and the offense take the field again.

6:40 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

RB Quinten Joyner with a 47-yard rushing touchdown! The score caps a nice second half for Joyner, who has four carries for 65 yards. USC hits 59 points, exceeding last week’s tally of 56 vs. San Jose State.

6:33 p.m.

Touchdown Wolf Pack.

With starter Brendon Lewis on the bench, Nevada QB AJ Bianco unleashes a 77-yard bomb for Jamaal Bell and the Wolf Pack save face with a second touchdown. USC leads 52-14 with 11:18 left in the game. 

6:26 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

USC scores a defensive touchdown! Defensive tackle Stanley Ta’ufo’ou carries the ball into the endzone off a Braylan Shelby forced fumble. Shelby makes an impact as a true freshman.

6:22 p.m.

Field goal.

Consecutive offensive penalties prevent Moss from leading USC to a touchdown on his first drive. Denis Lynch converts a 37-yard field goal attempt to increase USC’s lead by 3.

6:15 p.m.

Caleb Williams exits the game before the end of the third quarter, with junior QB Miller Moss in to replace the Heisman winner.

(Ethan Thai / Daily Trojan)

USC still leads 42-7 going into the fourth and will begin the quarter on Nevada’s 23 yard-line.

6:04 p.m.

Nevada sustained possession with their second drive of the third quarter, but a fumble forced by USC edge Solomon Byrd put Nevada in a tricky position. The Trojans get the ball back. 

5:52 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

USC picked up right where they left off, with Williams launching a 45-yard touchdown to Tahj Washington to push the lead to 35 points.

5:45 p.m.

The Trojan defense begins the second half as they finished the first. A quick three-and-out for the Wolf Pack, whose run game failed to earn them a first down. 

5:37 p.m.

USC had five scoring drives in the first half; every single one was four plays or less and was no longer than two minutes and twenty seconds. They’re attacking the Wolf Pack however they want right now.

5:36 p.m.

ESPN Analytics has USC’s win probability at a whopping 99.9%.

5:17 p.m.

Caleb and company put on another masterclass in the first half, scoring 28 unanswered points to give them a 35-7 lead going into the half.

(Ethan Thai / Daily Trojan)

Nevada’s first drive: 85 yards, seven points

Nevada’s final seven drives of the half: 106 yards, zero points

5:14 p.m.

A flubbed snap leads to a Nevada fumble recovery with 0:34 left in the half. The Wolf Pack will get a free hit before receiving the ball from kickoff in the second.

5:10 p.m.

The Trojans forced Nevada to turn the ball over on downs after safety Calen Bullock broke up the Wolf Pack’s pass attempt. USC has 1:07 to score before half.

5:00 p.m.

Despite their starters’ absence, USC’s linebacker corps continues to perform against the Wolf Pack. Raesjon Davis and Shane Lee both make tackles to force another Nevada punt. 3:59 remains in the half.

4:52 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Caleb Williams does more Caleb Williams things — scrambles out of the pocket and jukes out a slew of Wolf Pack defenders and, while on the run, somehow finds a wide open Brenden Rice for a 13-yard touchdown. Trojans are on top 35-7, and Williams has four more touchdown passes to four different receivers for the second straight week.

4:46 p.m. | Updated 4:48 p.m.

A wild series ultimately ends in a Nevada missed field goal attempt from 54 yards. After Curtis’ disqualification, a personal foul from Nevada WR Marquis Ashley left the Wolf Pack on USC’s 47 at 3rd & 33, unable to recover ground. 

An earlier version of this update misstated that Nevada was punting.
4:42 p.m.

After the Trojans seemingly got a big third-down stop, freshmen linebacker Tackett Curtis got called for targeting, disqualifying him from the rest of the game. The Trojans, already thin at linebacker without Cobb and Gentry, are down another starter.

4:32 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

USC scores a touchdown for the third consecutive time. Wide receiver Michael Jackson III takes the ball into the endzone with his first target of the game. Caleb Williams opened the second quarter with a 46-yard run to put USC in scoring position. Another rapid, 4-play series for the Trojans.

4:28 p.m.

The Trojans’ fast start has them up 21-7 over the Wolf Pack at the end of the first quarter.

(Ethan Thai / Daily Trojan)

USC will have the ball at their own 32-yard-line when the game resumes.

4:25 p.m.

USC’s defense dominates Nevada for the third straight series. A third-down tackle from nickel Jaylin Smith leaves the Wolf Pack punting with 0:19 left in the first.

4:18 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

USC strikes again, Williams connecting with Tahj Washington for a 22-yard catch and run. Backup right guard Gino Quinones was left injured on the play and had to be helped off the field.

4:13 p.m.

USC forces another Nevada three-and-out. Calen Bullock highlighted the series with a pass break-up on second down.

4:09 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

MarShawn Lloyd puts the Trojans back in front with a 24-yard touchdown run. Another quick drive from USC; 4 plays 2:12 to go 54 yards. Lloyd has taken all of the running back work so far over Austin Jones.

4:02 p.m.

Nevada goes three-and-out on their second series, ended by a Jamil Muhammad sack, his first for USC.

3:59 p.m.

USC’s next drive started out with a 30-yard run by MarShawn Lloyd, but soon stalled out after two straight C. Williams incompletions and a strip sack on third down. The Trojans have been forced to punt back to the Wolf Pack.

3:52 p.m.

Touchdown Wolf Pack.

It doesn’t take long for the Wolf Pack to strike back. A huge throw from quarterback Brendon Lewis took Nevada upfield and running back Sean Dollars punched into the end zone. 7-7 with 11:01 left in the first quarter. 

3:48 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Just like that, USC marches down the field and gets on the board in a mere 130 seconds. It was capped off by a beautiful back-shoulder throw from Caleb Williams to Zachariah Branch, good for 22 yards.

3:37 p.m.

The Wolf Pack won the coin toss and deferred possession to the second half, USC will receive the kick-off. 

3:00 p.m.

Linebackers Eric Gentry and Mason Cobb are not dressed for the game this afternoon; the Trojans will be thin at linebacker in their absence. Cobb, a team captain, had a standout game last week totalling five tackles (2 for a loss) in USC’s opening game.

2:52 p.m.

Scenes from pregame.

• Ethan Thai / Daily Trojan
9:00 a.m.

Here’s what you need to know:

• USC won 56-28 vs. the San Jose State Spartans last Saturday, in a season opener that saw an electrifying debut for freshman receiver Zachariah Branch.
  • The Trojan defense, the subject of much speculation and debate following an underwhelming performance last season, had some shining moments — but there still seemed to be room for improvement.
  • Spread for the game is set at USC -38. Over/under is 66.5 points. ESPN has USC’s win probability at 96.8%.
Stefano Fendrich is one of two sports editors at the Daily Trojan.
Jack Hallinan is a sports columnist at the Daily Trojan.
Ethan Thai is a staff photographer for the Daily Trojan.
Jonathan Park is the digital managing editor at the Daily Trojan.