Upcoming sapphic books to watch for

From romance to thriller, this year has entertaining and inclusive reads in store.

By SOPHIA DUEÑAS
Diya Srivastava / Daily Trojan

Narratives of sapphic characters — women and non-men who are attracted to women and non-men — in literature are often underrepresented in LGBTQIA+ book recommendation lists.  So here are some upcoming book releases over the next year that focus on sapphic characters and relationships. 

Many of these novels involve romance, and can be considered within the genre of romance; but other genres, such as thrillers, historical fiction and fantasy, are showcased as well.

“How to Find a Missing Girl” by Victoria Wlosok

In Victoria Wlosok’s debut novel “How to Find a Missing Girl,” Iris Blackthorn is thrust back into amateur sleuthing after a year-long hiatus when her ex-girlfriend Heather disappears from their small Louisiana town. Heather’s disappearance forces Iris to confront memories of her missing older sister Stella, her subsequent botched investigation and the police’s warning that any continued meddling after she turned 18 would land her in jail. Determined to get to the bottom of Heather’s disappearance, Iris just has one problem: She turns 18 in 30 days.

This young adult thriller is perfect for readers looking for sapphic representation without a centerstage romance. It comes out Sept. 19.

“Songs of Irie” by Asha Ashanti Bromfield

Bromfield’s second young adult novel is set in 1976 Jamaica, where class divisions grow as the country’s political parties wage war against each other in the lead-up to the general election. 

This is where Irie and Jilly, two girls from Kingston and the wealthy suburbs, respectively, bond over their love of reggae music. Political tensions build as the elections get closer, and while Irie is surrounded by violence in Jamaica’s streets, Jilly’s ability to retreat to her family’s mansion in the hills threatens to divide them. 

The novel, perfect for lovers of historical and political romance, is set to release Oct. 10.

“Gwen & Art Are Not in Love” by Lex Croucher

Lex Croucher’s debut YA novel is set in Camelot, hundreds of years after the reign of King Arthur. It follows his descendant, Arthur, who has been betrothed to princess Gwendoline of England since birth. The two absolutely detest each other, and neither are looking forward to their marriage. 

Forced to spend the summer together in Camelot, Arthur discovers that Gwen is taken with ladyknight Bridget Leclair, while Gwen stumbles upon Arthur kissing a boy. Realizing that they would be better as allies than as enemies, the two vow to cover for each other.

This “queer medieval rom-com” for fans of adaptations of Arthurian legends will be released on Nov. 28.

“The Perfect Guy Doesn’t Exist” by Sophie Gonzales

Fanfiction writer Ivy Winslow has the house to herself for a week and is excited to binge-watch her favorite TV show, “H-MAD.” Her excitement is foiled, however, when the show’s protagonist, Weston, materializes in her bedroom, and she realizes that her fanfiction has brought him to life. 

Ivy, unimpressed by Weston’s claim that they are soulmates and finding herself far less attracted to him now that he’s real, teams up with her best friend Henry and ex-best-friend Mack to figure out how Weston is in their real world. Along the way, Ivy starts to realize that her feelings for Mack may be more than platonic.

Sophie Gonzales’ new contemporary YA romance novel promises plenty of tropey fun with a dash of magical realism and releases March 26.

“The Honey Witch” by Sydney J. Shields

Sydney J. Shields’ debut novel, “The Honey Witch,” follows Marigold Claude, who has succeeded her grandmother as the Isle of Innisfree’s Honey Witch, as she attempts to convince visiting skeptic Lottie Burke that magic really does exist. Marigold’s feelings for Lottie become apparent as the two become close, but there’s just one problem: As the Honey Witch, Marigold is cursed to never find true love.

Marketed by Shields on her Instagram as a “Jane Austen meets Practical Magic . . . cottagecore fantasy,” “The Honey Witch” is bound to be a delight for queer fans of historical and fantasy romance. It will be released on May 14.

Honorable Mention: “Pride and Prejudice and Pittsburgh” by Rachael Lippincott

“Pride and Prejudice and Pittsburgh” follows Audrey Cameron, a girl from modern-day Pittsburgh who’s missing her spark after being waitlisted by her dream school and broken up with all in the same week. Transported back in time to 1812 by her disagreeable neighbor, Mr. Montgomery, Audrey meets Lucy Sinclair, whose own spark has been missing since the death of her mother. 

Lucy is eager for the distraction Audrey provides from the man who is courting her. Her father expects her to marry, but she has no interest in him whatsoever. As Lucy tries to help Audrey find her way home, the two girls realize that they are definitely interested in each other.

Rachael Lippincott’s newest novel, a historical Regency-era romance perfect for fans of Bridgerton, gets an honorable mention on this list because it was just released on Aug. 29.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.