DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT

Venting about ‘Among Us’

Do we have humor impostor syndrome?

By AUBRIE COLE
(Alanna Jimenez / Daily Trojan)

So there I was, slouched in my microeconomics lecture, mind swirling with weirdo business words like “isoquant” and “incentive.” I felt defeated. The only things on my mind were the life-changing frozen mini tacos waiting for me in my fridge at home. 

Suddenly, a shiver rushed down my spine. My head immediately snapped up. The word had been uttered by the professor. The trigger word. 

“Feel free to vent to each other about your concerns regarding this class, I know it’s a difficult one.”

Like an activated sleeper agent, my body moved of its own accord. My mouth curled into a devious grin and a giggle bubbled up from deep within my gut. Vent. He said vent. Like, from “Among Us.” My professor was sus. My glee was uncontainable.

We all know what “Among Us” is. Gaining incredible popularity in 2020 thanks to Twitch streamers milking it into content death, the video game was an instant classic. Even Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a United States Representative, logged onto “Among Us” for a cheeky match with a gaggle of streamers. Everyone was hooked. From the hilarious he-said-she-said moments reminiscent of those found in the board game “Secret Hitler” to the adorable little crewmates, the game was a recipe for success in a world stricken by the coronavirus. 

This success, however, came at a price. 

I’d like to say there’s a life cycle for anything that explodes in popularity on the internet. The thing becomes famous: Everyone’s referencing it, playing it and talking about it. As it reaches its peak, the phenomenon transcends its notoriety and ultimately metamorphosizes into a joke, or rather, a meme. Finally, the thing sinks into the depths of hell, for after its valiant internet run, it is now labeled as cringe

This cycle is the law of nature, for it cannot be changed. And I hate it. Why? Because I’m tired of people acting like they have an elite sense of humor because they think things that have completed their cycle are now forever unfunny. 

It’s time to speak my truth: “Among Us” is still hilarious, and everyone who says otherwise is objectively the worst.

Surrounding myself with equally immature people back home, I came to college assuming everyone would match my sense of humor. My jokes were littered with references one could perceive as cringe. Much to my shock, I was met with a half-frown and a quirked eyebrow at the first utterance of “Among Us” to an acquaintance. I felt as though I had been teleported to another planet. 

Recent years have led many young people to a point of obsession over their personal “aesthetic.” Coolness is now synonymous with esoteric, obscure interests. An uncanny aura will grant you access to the gates of Gen-Z heaven, encouraging the youth to portray themselves as deep-thinking divergents. Unfortunately, this desire for uniqueness also envelops humor. 

To crack and land a joke with a college student nowadays constitutes a comprehensive understanding of niche topics and philosophies. 

I would be lying if I said I haven’t somewhat bought into this wave of comedy. I too have posted my fair share of Sisyphus memes. I too have saved TikTok slide shows posted to plugnb remixes. The real issue lies with those who cannot, will not admit that stupid stuff, like “Among Us,” is still hilarious.

You are not elite because you let out a little amused huff when you understand a meme about the existentialist philosophies of Franz Kafka. You are not better than others because you prefer controversial jokes aggressively commenting on the political and socioeconomic state of the world. You’re not receiving a pat on the back for glancing down your nose at those who, like me, giggle when they see that GIF of the yellow crewmate throwing it back.

Most games I play get meme-ified at one point or another. It’s just part of the internet life cycle. I fear for the day when “Five Nights at Freddy’s” jokes become cringe again. I’ve grown rather used to singing “Haur haur haur haur haur” within my immature echo chamber of a friend group. 

I still laugh when I hear the words “impostor” and “vent” in any context. So what, sue me! I’m certain everyone would lead a better life if they finally admitted that some crass humor will simply always be funny.

Aubrie Cole is a sophomore writing about video games in her column, “Downloadable Content,” which runs every other Tuesday. She is also an arts & entertainment editor at the Daily Trojan.