TROJAN DAY GUIDE

Feeling unproductive or hungry? Here are five local study spots to hit

As midterm season approaches, get a coffee and crack open a book at one of these South Central study spaces.

By VERONIQUE LOUIS-JACQUES
(Arielle Rizal / Daily Trojan)

We’re more than a month into the semester, which means the daunting period of midterms and project deadlines is quickly approaching. Before the scavenger hunt of finding a seat in Leavey Library begins and the fast-paced scurrying of stressed students pulls you in, here are five study spots in South Central that’ll grant you a change of scenery and maybe even a sweet treat for your exam troubles.  

Nature’s Brew by Bacari

A coffee and breakfast nook opened by USC alumni, Danny and Bobbi Kronfli, Nature’s Brew is just one of the many food venues owned by the two brothers. While Bacari Restaurants have locations throughout Los Angeles, Nature’s Brew provides a more casual experience for all your coffee and brunch needs. This coffee bar and kitchen, located on South Union Avenue, is a 15 to 20 minute walk from campus and serves up all-day breakfast, from fresh pastries to breakfast burritos. 

With its exposed brick wall, warm lighting and quaint atmosphere, the cafe sets a cozy scene  for studying. The small space contains an array of rustic tables, accommodating those who seek to work solo or host a small study group. Two-prong electrical outlets line the walls. Open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily, Nature’s Brew spot works best for an afternoon study session with a friend. The small cafe is popular among students and gets crowded quite quickly, so it’s best to arrive early or during off-peak hours — anytime after noon. 

South LA Cafe

Founded by Joe and Celia-Ward Wallace in 2019, South LA Cafe is committed to community-building and service work. Located on Browning Boulevard just a 10-minute drive from campus, the cafe is hard to miss. Outside the establishment rest bright yellow, outdoor seating arrangements overlooked by a big black and white sign with the cafe’s name in bold letters. The shop’s interior has a more industrial feel, with posters of community leaders like Nipsey Hussle and Martin Luther King Jr. hanging up on the walls. The cafe, which sells its own merch, serves hot and cold drinks, smoothies, breakfast meals and pastries. Because the cafe’s indoor seating is limited, the space works best for an outdoor study session. 

With Love Market & Cafe

If you’re feeling extra productive, With Love Market & Cafe will have you walking out with both your groceries and a cleared to-do list. 

Located on South Vermont Avenue, the cafe is a 15-minute drive from campus. The spot contains a small marketplace offering affordable groceries and a cafe that sells a variety of items, including coffee, tea, smoothies, salads and sandwiches. Invested in community engagement, a portion of the proceeds made from the market go to community programs within the area. With Love has both indoor seating and an outdoor patio, as well as a reservation-only meeting room. With its wide array of study environments, this location can accommodate a solo study session — to actually get some work done — or a study date with a friend. 

DRNK Coffee + Tea/ Qwench Juice Bar

A 15-minute walk from campus, DRNK Coffee + Tea/ Qwench Juice Bar sits just below Element, an off-campus USC housing community on South Hoover Street. The cafe is spacious and quiet,  and outlets align two of their bar tables. With its large, open windows, upbeat pop music and bright yellow seating, the spot provides a positive ambiance for what may be a gruesome study session otherwise. 

The coffee car and juice bar both have menus chock-full with healthy options. Qwench Bar specializes in fruit and vegetable blends and food bowls. Their acai bowls have a serving size that are bound to get you through the day. DRNK, on the other hand, serves a variety of coffee and tea drinks, as well as sandwiches. From hot lattes to cold brews to matcha, DRNK caters to that daily dose of caffeine you might need to get through your study sesh. Whether you grab a cup of coffee and sit down with a breakfast wrap, or decide to sip on a smoothie at Qwench, the spot is great for those who need a near-constant refueling on food while studying. 

Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune Regional Branch Library

Tired of weaving through endless bookstacks at Doheny Memorial Library or drowning in homework in dim-lighted Leavey Library? Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune Regional Branch Library can serve as an alternative.

A 10-minute drive from campus, the library is located in Exposition Park on South Western Avenue. While this is an L.A. Public Library, students do not need a library card to enter the space. 

From Monday through Thursday, the library is open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. With its high ceilings and array of seating arrangements, the library lets you avoid the hustle and bustle of a typical cafe. Restaurants like Jack’s Family Kitchen and South LA Cafe are within a five-minute walking distance of the public library.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.