TROJAN DAY GUIDE

The green guide to LA (Trojan’s Version)

Just in time for Environmental Awareness Month, here are a few eco-friendly activities on and around campus.

By SCARLETT LOVALLO
(Kristine Nguyen / Daily Trojan)

Warm palettes of orange leaves, red and yellow football jerseys, and temperature drops just chilly enough to need your staple Heritage Collection sweatshirt. 

Autumn has arrived in Southern California, yet campus is seemingly becoming more green. The University has expanded its sustainability initiatives with the opening of the Sustainability Hub, Assignment: Earth and everything in between. Even the (so far undefeated) football season has picked up on environmentalism, with Green Games bringing sustainability to the Coliseum. If you’re feeling inspired to pick up a few more eco-conscious habits, I’ve compiled a few green activities on and around campus.

Whether you’re a dedicated environmentalist at heart or simply a Trojan hoping to become more eco-friendly, this guide offers a glimpse into experiencing Los Angeles and USC sustainably.

Heal the Bay

Volunteer to clean up L.A. beaches with environmental advocacy nonprofit Heal the Bay. The organization’s members aim to keep the vibrant oceans, coastal waters and marine life of Santa Monica Bay healthy. Volunteers collect waste, ensuring coastal waters remain clean and safe.

The impact doesn’t end after volunteer days —  Heal the Bay provides clean-up data to support equitable environmental policies, climate action and legislation campaigns. Heal the Bay’s notable contributions include planning joint research projects, reducing plastic use and keeping the bay clean of oil. The nonprofit educates students and communities on the safety of their local beaches and water qualities with the support of volunteers.

With USC Transportation and L.A. Metro’s U-Pass, you can take the metro train from south of campus to Santa Monica just in time for Coastal Cleanup Day on Sept. 23.

Peaks and Professors

Need a break from the stress of midterms to explore nature? Hike and sightsee sets from “Starstruck” (2010) and the likes — from Griffith Park to Corral Canyon and Seven Trees Trail — with Peaks and Professors. The student organization plans adventurous hiking excursions through trails and mountains. Hikers have the opportunity to spend time reconnecting with nature and exploring the flora and fauna native to the Southern California region. 

Hikes are open to all students, with eco-friendly carpools to sightseeing locations. Trips feature a faculty member, conversations in academia and beyond, and a guarantee to meet your daily step goal.

Not an expert hiker? Not a problem. Peaks and Professors rates trips by difficulty to help all interested Trojans find the perfect trip.

Trojan Farmer’s Market

Looking for a snack mid-study session? Shop for sustainably and locally grown fruits, vegetables and baked goods at the Trojan Farmers Market. Located at McCarthy Quad, the market features stands with fresh strawberries and perfect snacks to support a community of environmentally conscious farmers and vendors. Just by supporting sustainable agriculture, you can help reduce the environmental impacts of production.

The market runs every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and accepts EBT payment.

USC Peace Garden Project

Visit the USC Peace Garden Project to learn more about sustainable gardening, including planting seeds, harvesting plants and composting. The center welcomes students and faculty to spend time in nature to improve wellness, foster a sense of community and engage environmental awareness.

Practice gratitude with Growing Gratitude, the Peace Garden Project’s community outreach workshops on Thursdays this fall. Help maintain the farm or even consider taking a succulent home for your own green garden.

Located at 3017 Shrine Place, the Peace Garden provides a green space within the urban setting of L.A., promoting climate consciousness and improved environmental health. The garden practices sustainability by composting, using pesticide-free methods and planting flora native to the region’s environment.

Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County

Just south of University Park campus, visit the Natural History Museum to see the lively Nature Gardens, learn more about the “L.A. Underwater” exhibition and meet scientists and researchers. The museum offers guided tours through its exhibits in history, art and science. The Natural History Museum has expanded reusable water stations, installed efficient watering systems and designed innovative maintenance plans as part of its sustainability initiatives.

USC students receive free admission to the museum, redeemable on-site at the ticket center.

Friends and Neighbors Day

Go green & give: 

Friends and Neighbors Day returns Oct. 14 to connect students with local volunteer initiatives. Hosted by the Volunteer Center, Friends and Neighbors Day collaborates with volunteer projects that address environment and sustainability, animal welfare and education within the South L.A. community.

Learn about Community Services Unlimited’s commitment to reducing food insecurity through local farming and a community-centered market while volunteering in their sustainable garden.