Doja Cat strikes back with album ‘Scarlet’

The rapper’s fourth full-length studio release has arrived to confront haters.

4

By REBECCA YUAN
(Megan Dang / Daily Trojan)

Doja Cat’s fourth studio album “Scarlet” is finally here in all of its fiery entirety, and it beckons us all to hear it loud and clear. Influenced by musical genres like pop and hip-hop, Doja’s bold lyricism throughout the album seamlessly compliments the unique composition of soft and hard textures, as well as the thundering bass and enlightening brass tones.

The album is Doja’s way of responding to the controversies surrounding her, and she makes her message loud and clear: She aggressively warns critics and haters that she will not hesitate to break the silence on any remarks that dirty her image. Through her blunt and ironically edgy lyrics, Doja bravely establishes her ground and unapologetically enjoys the last laugh in the battles in the industry she has found herself in as of late.

Doja is often in the eye of public attention because of her aggressive, absurdist, adventurous and careless nature, recently coming under fire for her role in parasocial relationships between her and her fans. Everything she does appears to purposefully reject the social norms and expectations placed upon women rappers — and musicians in general — which has proven itself as a point of contention among fans and spectators because of her extensive following and reach on social media platforms.

In “Demons,” she says, “I’m the fastest-growing bitch on all your apps now.” Doja’s songs not only perform well on the charts — where she has been accredited two “No. 1 Hits” and eight “Top 10 Hits” through Billboard — but have also been the framework for many global TikTok trends over the years. “Say So,” “Kiss Me More” and even “Paint the Town Red” have been the inspiration for millions of app users to create their own dances and content.

Starting with the first track of her fiery full-length “Paint The Town Red,” the song sets the tone for the entire album, establishing Doja’s careless, nonchalant attitude toward all the controversies and rumors she has been caught up in with her audiences. The song displays strong, hard-hitting vocals, where the lyrics are simple and straightforward. This contrasts effectively against the mellow music created using the muted brass instrumental in the background.

Doja persuades listeners to understand that to her, the phrase “paint the town red” exemplifies her loose nature of having fun and not caring so heavily about the negativity around her. With the criticism the artist is facing, this song successfully serves as a destructed third-person analysis of her own behavior. She is done with letting others’ labels and words define her legitimacy as an artist: This is her message, and she urges us to hear her. The track intentionally ties in with her physical image as a means to promote the album’s release, despite these stylistic choices resulting in people calling her “satanic” and “evil.”

In “Wet Vagina,” Doja takes the opportunity to show her lack of care for social norms, with both the song title — which she echoes throughout the track — as well as her lyrics. She acknowledges the 2023 Met Gala controversy, in which she was caught vaping on camera, despite the lead chairperson Anna Wintour’s strict rule against smoking. Overall, she expresses that she does not care and will continue doing what she wants: “Kick me out the Met, but I really run fashion.”

This was a smart move by the artist in terms of retaliating to the harsh criticism she faced by disrespecting the event’s rules on smoking. Regardless of whether or not she was in the wrong, she unapologetically implores us to remember that she is an icon in fashion nonetheless.

Can her innovative looks and adventurous stylistic choices over the years make up for her disregard of an esteemed fashion event? With the prompt timing of her release, Doja’s song answers this question in the form of a sassy strike back at the criticism faced by Wintour and the public. 

A direct response to the parasocial relationship between Doja and her fanbase, “Fuck The Girls (FTG)” plays out with a brooding, ominous intro featuring a downplayed acoustic guitar, before it sets a slightly more hurried and rhythmic pace. The song is moving in a sense — even when the instrumental aspect pauses, Doja doesn’t, and part of the listening experience makes us want to move along with her.

The album undergoes a shift and change of pace when it reaches the track “Attention,” which is a lot softer and hazy. The song feels mystical, ethereal and trance-like. Doja places herself on a pedestal here in a way; she is made out to be a superior being addressing her subjects. Her attention is something one might pray for, and being able to converse with or even receive a response from her is godly. In the song, she says, “I am not afraid to finally say shit with my chest,” again reinforcing her position on what is being said about her.

The closing track of the album, “WYM Freestyle” is her getting her last word in: a final laugh. It’s a grand finale to her confrontational album, telling critics and haters across the board that she doesn’t care, and warning people not to challenge her, or her credibility as an artist, ever again.

Doja Cat’s “Scarlet” is more than just a hip-hop set — it’s a thought-provoking compilation of songs that invites listeners to rise above external pressures and remember that real strength is derived from the ignorance of critics and haters, and to be brave enough to follow our own desires.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.