Jazz Night features USC’s coolest cats

The hottest ticket in town is absolutely free — and it’s Monday nights at Thornton.

By SHOURI GOMATHAM
Jazz Night takes place each Monday at Carson Soundstage, and is a jam-packed showcase of USC student skill not only in performance but in the composing of new pieces, many of which debut at the event. (Angela Lee / USC Thornton)

Jazz. The word itself is an unconventional note restlessly waiting to be played. Listen closely and hear the music of it.

Such was the state of bliss and relaxation found this past Monday at Thornton School of Music’s most recent Jazz Night at Carson Soundstage, with performances from Thornton faculty member Michael Stever’s Combos.

As the crowd slowly trickled in, works by jazz legend Oscar Peterson filled the air. The mood was set. The lights slightly dimmed — dim enough for the audience to better see the performers, but also bright enough for the performers to still see the audience.

“One of my favorites is this guy named Chris Potter. He’s a modern saxophonist. I think he’s incredible,” said Daniel Wijedasa, a freshman majoring in jazz studies who performed at Jazz Night for the very first time Monday.

“What I love about jazz is the opportunity to speak with your own voice,” Wijedasa said.  “It’s a beautiful thing to be able to create something in the moment, and it’s only in that moment. Improvisation is a huge aspect of jazz.”

Wijedasa’s original piece, “Cycling,” written for the baritone, tenor sax and bass, was fourth on the set list. His composition was certainly a hit.

“I hope [audiences] are inspired by something, whether it be a particular song or moment or they just have fun,” Wijedasa said.

Over the course of an hour, Stever Combo 2, the first act of the night, packed in six sweet, smooth, soaring melodies — a mix of several exciting original works from band members and classics arranged by Stever. Combo 2 consisted of Brian Camarillo on the tenor saxophone, Wijedasa on the baritone saxophone, Anthony Oro on the guitar, Quinn Sims on bass and Sam Rossi on the drums.

No words were necessary to unite dozens of total strangers in marveling, nodding and smiling along in harmony to music they’ve probably never heard before. Jazz invites listeners as they are. It asks the audience to listen in, listen closely and play along. Stick around for one more song, it’ll get to you soon enough. Such is the power of the genre — a dedicated, diverse, mighty proud union of avid connoisseurs and more avid artists not afraid to have fun.

“Since it’s improvisation-based, [jazz] provides a pathway for all of the musicians to really put their personal stamp — their personality — through the music that they play,” said Alex Knoll, the senior production coordinator for contemporary music at Thornton. “[Jazz Night] translates the talent, enthusiasm and passion of our students and faculty in the best way possible.”

When asked about any personal jazz recommendations, Knoll had this to say: “Nobody comes close to Miles Davis.”

The Thornton Jazz Nights at Carson this semester happen every Monday at 7 p.m. Students can grab a friend or two (or even three) and come on down to the hottest and coolest little spot on campus.

Stuart Crespo, who earned his bachelor’s degree from Thornton this past spring and is now working towards a master’s of music in studio guitar, was also in the audience for Jazz Night.

“A lot of people playing are my friends,” Crespo said. “It’s fun to see them go out there and just go for it.”

Jazz means something different to everyone, and Crespo is no exception.

“I really love the ability to express yourself in the moment,” Crespo said. “I love learning about the history. [It’s] super important to have context for everything going on in there. And I really love the freedom of it.”