USC at Colorado — as it happened

by DANA HAMMERSTROM & LEILA MACKENZIE
Last updated: 1:41 p.m. MT
  • Bryce Dechert / Daily Trojan
USC Football Live Scores
Read the article:

The Trojans squeak out a win in Boulder 

PINNED

SCORE: USC – 48  Colorado – 41

The game at a glance:

• TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q1 12:33, MarShawn Lloyd 27 yard rush. Kick GOOD.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q1 2:30, Williams 71 yard pass to Tahj Washington. Kick GOOD.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q2 14:55, Williams 8 yard pass to Dorian Singer. Kick GOOD.
  • Touchdown Buffaloes, Q2 12:59, Sanders 30 yard pass to Jimmy Horn Jr. Kick GOOD.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q2 7:30, Williams 24 yard pass to Mario Williams. Conversion NO GOOD.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q2 2:54, Williams 26 yard pass to Brenden Rice. Kick GOOD.
  • Touchdown Buffaloes, Q2 :21, Sanders 25 yard rush. Kick GOOD.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q3 7:14, Williams 6 yard pass to Brenden Rice. Kick GOOD.
  • Touchdown Buffaloes, Q3 5:50, Anthony Hankerson 2 yard rush. Kick GOOD.
  • TOUCHDOWN TROJANS, Q3 2:14, Williams 3 yard pass to Jude Wolfe. Kick GOOD.
  • Touchdown Buffaloes, Q3 1:03, Sanders 20 yard pass to Michael Harrison. Conversion NO GOOD.
  • Touchdown Buffaloes, Q4 11:55, Sanders 9 yard pass to Omarion Williams. Kick GOOD.
  • Touchdown Buffaloes, Q4  1:43, Sanders 16 yard pass to Jimmy Horn Jr. Kick GOOD.
1:41 p.m.

USC secured the onside kick at their own 41. They kneeled out the game and will take home a 48-41 victory.

1:36 p.m.

Touchdown Buffaloes

The crowd in Boulder is buzzing after Sanders connected with Jimmy Horn Jr. for a 16 yard touchdown reception. USC is still in the lead, but Colorado’s 78 yard touchdown drive cuts the lead to 7.

1:35 p.m.

Miller brings in a 21 yard pass along the sideline. Colorado has a 1st & 10 on the USC 11 with 2:07 to left in the game.

1:34 p.m.

Sanders completed another pass to Miller. After the 15 yard gain, the Buffaloes have the ball on the USC 36 yard line. There is 3:12 remaining in the game.

1:32 p.m.

Sanders completed a 14 yard pass to Omarion Miller to bring the offense to the Buffaloes’ 42 yard line.

1:30 p.m.

Williams was sacked on 3rd down and kicker Dennis Lynch missed the field goal to follow. Colorado trails by 14 with just over 5 minutes remaining, they will begin their drive at their own 22 yard line.

1:25 p.m.

Williams completed a pass to running back Austin Jones for 24 yards. The Trojans have a first down at the Buffaloes’ 18 yard line. Williams has surpassed 400 yards passing.

1:23 p.m.

The Buffaloes turn-over-on-downs at the Colorado 44 yard line. Nose tackle De’jon Benton sacked Sanders for the loss of 10 yards.

1:20 p.m.

The Buffaloes face a 4th & 5 at the USC 47 with 9:06 left in the fourth quarter. USC leads Colorado by 14 points with a score of 48 – 34.

1:17 p.m.

USC cornerback Domani Jackson barely tackled Colorado wide receiver Omarion Miller at the Buffaloes’ 48 yard line. Miller gained 28 yards on the reception.

1:15 p.m.

The Trojans could not push the ball down the field. The USC punt places the Colorado offense at their own 20 yard line.

1:08 p.m.

Williams and the Trojan offense take the field from their own 25. They’re looking to put the game away with an eighth touchdown.

1:06 p.m.

Touchdown Buffaloes

Sanders connects with wide receiver Omarion Miller on 4th & 5 for a nine yard touchdown. USC is winning 48 – 34 with 11:55 remaining in the game.

1:03 p.m.

Colorado gained 17 yards on a carry by running back Jimmy Horn Jr. The Buffaloes have a 1st & 10 on the USC 14.

12:59 p.m.

The third quarter has ended. Colorado has the ball in USC territory as they’re hoping to make a comeback in this three possession game.

12:55 p.m.

USC received a touchback on the kick-off. On the first play of the drive, Williams his first interception of the season. Colorado received the ball on their own 39.

12:52 p.m.

Buffaloes Touchdown

Sanders completed a 44 yard pass to wide receiver Omarion Miller before tight end Michael Harrison hauled in a 20 yard pass for the touchdown.

Miller couldn’t get a foot down to complete the Buffaloes’ two-point conversion.

The score is currently 48 – 27 with USC in the lead.

12:48 p.m.

The Buffaloes are back on their own 25. They’re looking to lessen the Trojans’ lead before the fourth quarter.

12:46 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

Williams threw up a lob to tight end Jude Wolfe for the 3 yard score. That marked Williams’ sixth touchdown pass of the game. USC leads 48-21.

12:42 p.m.

Wide receiver Brenden Rice threw out the stiff-arm when he took a pass from Williams for 18-yards to the Buffaloes’ 27 yard line.

12:35 p.m.

Touchdown Buffaloes

Anthony Hankerson rushed 2 yards for the score. The Trojans’ lead has been cut to 19 as the score stands at 41-21. USC will begin their drive at their own 25 with 5:50 left in the 3rd quarter.

12:32 p.m.

After a touchback, Colorado wide receiver Omarion Miller sprinted down the field to complete the 65 yard pass from Sanders. The Buffaloes are looking to get in the end zone as they have the ball at the USC 10.

12:30 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

Brenden Rice gets his second score of the day from Williams’ 6 yard completion. The Trojans are up 41-14 (yay, palindromes!) with 7:14 to go in the third quarter.

12:28 p.m.

Williams sent a long ball 28 yards to wide receiver Mario Williams. They now face a 3nd & 4 at the Colorado 6 yard line.

12:22 p.m.

The USC defense seems to have doubled down as they forced both a sack and three-and-out. Colorado punted on 4th & 22 and the USC offense will return to the field on their own 45 yard line.

12:16 p.m.

The Trojans were forced to punt it back as Williams couldn’t get the ball to the other side of the field. Sanders and the Buffaloes begin their second drive of the third quarter at their own 20 yard line.

12:11 p.m.

The Trojan defense had the Buffaloes stuffed. Colorado punted to the USC 31 yard line after a quick 4 play drive.

12:08 p.m.

And we’re back! Colorado begins the half at their own 25.

12:00 p.m.

Halftime

Although USC is ahead 34-14, the Buffaloes aren’t backing down easy.

The Trojans have hardly faced any resistance on offense and will look to continue to put points on the board. Colorado ended the half with a touchdown and will receive the ball to start the third quarter.

Passing Stats:

USC Caleb Williams: 17/20, 260 yrds, 4 TDs.

Colorado Shedeur Sanders: 16/24, 109 yrds, 1 TD, 1 INT.

Rushing Stats:

USC — 73 yrds, 1 TD.

Colorado — 137 yrds, 1 TD.

11:43 a.m.

Touchdown Buffaloes

With less than 30 seconds remaining in the half, Sanders took matters into his own hands. The quarterback’s 25 yard rush puts the score at 34-14. Colorado will receive the second half kick-off and have the opportunity to make it a two possession game.

11:35 a.m.

Sanders and the Buffaloes are looking for their second score before half. They received the kick-off at their own 17.

11:32 a.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

After breaking a tackle, wide receiver Brenden Rice took a dump pass from Williams for 26 yards and into the end zone. USC now leads Colorado 34-7 with 2:54 left in the 2nd quarter.

11:24 a.m.

This time, the Buffaloes got the punt off. Williams and the Trojan offense will take over at the USC 27 yard line with 5:22 remaining in the 2nd quarter.

11:20 a.m.

Sanders and the Buffaloes will try again to get into the end zone. Their drive begins at the Colorado 25 following a touchback on the kick-off.

11:16 a.m.

TROJANS TOUCHDOWN

Williams finds wide receiver Mario Williams deep in the end zone for the Trojans’ fourth score. The conversion was not converted after a fumbled snap.

11:14 a.m.

TROJANS BLOCKED PUNT

Eric Gentry ends The Colorado three-and-out ended when Eric Gentry blocked the punt. After a Brenden Rice recovery, the Trojans took over at the Colorado 23.

11:07 a.m.

USC punts on 4th & 11. After the touchback, Colorado will get back on offense from their own 20 yard line.

11:07 a.m.

11:05 a.m.

The Buffaloes have brought up a big third down after sacking Williams for 8 yards.

11:05 a.m.

MarShawn Lloyd fights his way to the Colorado 43 on an 18 yard carry.

11:03 a.m.

USC receives the kickoff at their own 19 yard line.

10:57 a.m.

Touchdown Buffaloes.

The Buffaloes posted their first score of the day after a 30 yard pass from Sanders to wide receiver Jimmy Horn Jr. The score stands at 21-7 with USC still ahead.

10:57 a.m.

Colorado running back Anthony Hankerson carries the ball to the USC 47 on an 18 yard rush. Colorado who averaged just 1.9 yards per rush prior to this week is averaging 6.4 yards per carry.

10:52 a.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

USC rolls into the second quarter with their third touchdown. To capitalize off the turnover, Williams connected with wide receiver Dorian Singer on an 8-yard pass. The Trojan lead has extended to 21-0.

10:46 a.m.

Sanders faced heavy pressure when he threw a pick to USC cornerback Christian Roland-Wallace. The 23 yard return brings USC to the Colorado 22 yard line where they’ll try to punch in their third score of the morning.

10:40 a.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

Williams sat in the pocket for what felt like forever before firing a pass to wide receiver Tahj Washington. Washington took it to the house on the 71 yard play. The Trojan lead now stands at 14-0.

10:36 a.m.

Colorado’s 17 play drive ends in a failed 41 yard field goal attempt. The score remains 7-0, USC has the lead and will get the ball at their 23 yard line.

10:22 a.m.

After a fumbled snap, USC was forced to punt for the first time thus far. Colorado will begin from their own 10 yard line.

10:17 a.m.

Colorado went a quick three-and-out and sent a 48-yard punt to the USC 27. Williams and the Trojans will take over.

10:13 a.m.

Quarterback Shedeur Sanders and the Buffaloes offense have taken the field at their own 25 for their first drive. 

10:12

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS

Running back MarShawn Lloyd dashes to the end zone for a 27 yard score. Less than three minutes into the game, the Trojans are up 7-0.

10:03 a.m.

The Buffaloes won the coin toss and elected to defer. Colorado will kick to USC to begin the game in just a few moments.

10:03 a.m.

The Trojans have stormed out the tunnel and filled the sidelines. Star wide receiver Zachariah Branch is not suited up for action.

9:55 a.m.

With less than 15-minutes until kick-off, the “White Out” has officially enveloped Folsom Field.

Brought to you by:
Dana Hammerstrom is an assistant sports editor for the Daily Trojan.
Leila MacKenzie is an assistant sports editor at the Daily Trojan.
Bryce Dechert is a sports photographer at the Daily Trojan.