Celebrate Latine LGBTQIA+ superstars

October offers the perfect opportunity to recognize intersectionality in art.

By KIMBERLY AGUIRRE & ALIA YEE NOLL
Julio Torres is a Salvadorian comedian and the star of the upcoming A24 movie, “Problemista.” His past work includes “Saturday Night Live” and “Los Espookys.” (Zach Dilgard / HBO)

The beginning of October is a very special time when Latine Heritage Month and LGBTQIA+ History Month overlap for a glorious 15 days. Latine history and LGBTQIA+ history cannot be separated. Gay liberation and transgender rights activist Sylvia Rivera participated in the Stonewall riots in 1969, advocating for both LGBTQIA+ rights in mainstream culture as well as rights for drag queens and LGBTQIA+ people of color within the gay community. Activist Ray Navarro was deeply involved with ACT UP and HIV/AIDS activism, as featured in the documentary “How to Survive A Plague.”

Learning about and honoring the trailblazers of Latine LGBTQIA+ history is an important way to uplift underrepresented voices. LGBTQIA+ Latine comedians, musicians and actors are still pushing the entertainment industry to become a more inclusive space. While there are hundreds of iconic celebrities to celebrate during this intersectional month, here is a short collection of some icons in the LGBTQIA+ Latine community.

Julio Torres

Julio Torres is one of the hottest rising stars in the world of comedy. The Salvadorian actor and writer is responsible for iconic “Saturday Night Live” sketches like “Papyrus” and “The Actress;” the Spanish-language HBO comedy series “Los Espookys;” and the eccentric and hilarious stand-up special “My Favorite Shapes.” 

Fans can get excited for the upcoming A24 movie, “Problemista,” which Torres is the mastermind behind. The comedy follows Torres as a toy designer in New York City. When his work visa runs out, he has to start the journey to get a new visa, trying to work with the messed-up United States immigration system (which is something Torres has addressed before). The trailer promises an absurdist epic that only Torres could provide.

Michaela Jaé Rodriguez

Michaela Jaé Rodriguez’s groundbreaking role as Blanca Evangelista in the hit series “Pose” brought her critical acclaim, making her the first trans performer to win a Golden Globe Award and the first to be nominated for an Emmy in a major acting category.

“Pose” focuses on ballroom culture in Black and Latine LGBTQIA+ communities in 1980s New York City. The show follows Rodriguez’s character Blanca as she decides to start her own house (which Blanca describes as “a family you get to choose”) after being diagnosed as HIV-positive. Rodriguez has also used her public platform to openly call out transphobia, condemning The New York Times for having an anti-trans bias.

Bianca Del Rio

Bianca Del Rio is a Cuban and Honduran icon. A comedian, theater star and drag queen, Rio was the first Latina queen to win “RuPaul’s Drag Race,” taking home the crown in season six. An incredible comedian, The New York Times even called her “The Joan Rivers of the Drag World.” She is an important figure in the theater world, starring as Hugo/Loco Channelle in the U.S. debut of “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie.”

The self-described “Clown in a Gown” recently starred in a video alongside other “Drag Race” alumni Vanessa Vanjie Mateo, Alexis Mateo, April Carrión  and Crystal Methyd to celebrate the intersection of Latine Heritage Month and LGBTQIA+ History Month. 

Vico Ortiz

Vico Ortiz is a Puerto Rican actor and drag king, best known for their work in “Our Flag Means Death,” playing the fan-favorite pirate Jim alongside stars Taika Waititi and Rhys Darby. Ortiz’s character is the first nonbinary pirate in a period piece.

They have also appeared in television shows including “The Sex Lives of College Girls” as Tova and “Adventure Time: Fionna and Cake,” voicing supporting characters Hunter and Fern. Additionally, their drag king persona, Vico Suave, embraces Ortiz’s Latine, Caribbean and American identities while advocating for Latine visibility and diversity with Los Angeles-based organizations such as the L.A. LGBT Center.

Ricky Martin

Ricky Martin is the genius behind songs like “Livin’ La Vida Loca,” “Vuelve” and the 1998 World Cup song, “La Copa de la Vida.” He was internationally known and beloved, and he came out as gay in 2010. Martin was faced with invasive speculation about his sexuality throughout his whole career, but hopefully, by sharing his story, he has paved the way for the next generation of LGBTQIA+ Latines.

Martin is not only a trailblazer in the LGBTQIA+ community, but he made a major push to bring Latin music to American audiences. He was the first Latino to open the Grammy Awards, bringing a Latin flair to the prestigious awards in 1999. The following year, the world was graced with the first annual Latin Grammy Awards.