ended

USC wins vs. Arizona — as it happened

by LEILA MACKENZIE & JUSTIN WHITE
Last updated:
  • Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan
USC Football Live Scores
PINNED

TROJANS WIN.

After a painstaking four quarters and three overtimes, a two-point conversion made the difference.

The game at a glance:

11:28 p.m.

FINAL: USC 43, AZ 41.

The game is over. Take a breath. Williams took in the final touchdown himself and the defense finally got a stop. The Trojans’ undefeated record lives to see another day.

11:23 p.m.

TROJANS MAKE CONVERSION.

Beginning in the third OT, each team gets one play to score a touchdown. USC converted their first score. Arizona will try to match it now.

11:20 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

USC overcomes a plethora of penalties with a 11-yard touchdown rush by Austin Jones. This play followed a huge reception by wide receiver Mario Williams. The Trojans were unable to follow through with the 2-point conversion. We will enter the 3rd OT at USC 41, AZ 41.

11:14 p.m.

Touchdown Wildcats.

Cowling gets in the end zone again on a 7-yard completion. The Wildcats lead the Trojans 41-35 after a pivotal pass deflection on the 2-point conversion attempt.

11:08 p.m.

Touchdown Wildcats.

The Wildcats stun the USC defense with a 25-yard pass to the end zone on 1st down.

11:05 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Williams begins OT with an 18-yard rushing touchdown. With the extra point, the Wildcats will have to match or exceed USC’s 7 points to stay in the game.

11:03 p.m.

Arizona has won the coin toss and elected to start OT on defense. USC will begin their first OT drive at the Wildcats’ 25-yard line.

10:59 p.m.

End of the fourth quarter.

That just happened. Botched snap leads to a missed field goal and we’re heading to overtime.

(Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)
10:56 p.m.

The Trojans are lining up for a 25-yard field goal attempt with four seconds remaining in the game.

10:54 p.m.

Lloyd jukes his way to the Arizona 6-yard line on the 24 yard carry.

10:54 p.m.

Lloyd picks up 5 yards on the hand-off and the Trojans have a 1st & 10 at the Wildcats’ 30-yard line.

10:52 p.m.

A wide open Tahj Washington brings the Trojans 26 yards up the field to the Wildcats’ 41-yard line.

10:49 p.m.

The Wildcats’ 50-yard field goal attempt is no good. USC will return on offense at their 33-yard line. There’s 2:08 minutes left in the game and the score is tied at 28.

10:45 p.m.

For a moment, it looked like the Trojan defense would get the stop. However, after a 15-yard scramble, Fifita brought the Wildcats to their own 32-yard line for a 1st down.

10:41 p.m.

After an ugly, penalty-filled drive for both teams, USC punts it back to Arizona. The Wildcats will get the ball at their own 21-yard line. 6:22 left in the game.

10:33 p.m.

Williams and the offense will look to regain the lead. The touchback on the kickoff starts the drive at USC’s 25-yard line.

10:30 p.m.

Touchdown Wildcats.

The Wildcats found the end zone on fourth down when Fifita connected with Cowlings for his second score. After a two-point conversion, the score is tied at 28 apiece.

10:22 p.m.

Arizona’s J. Coleman rushed for 27-yards and the play was followed up by a 15-yard penalty against the Trojans. Arizona has the ball at the USC 27-yard line.

10:18 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Caleb Williams imposes his will on the Arizona defense for a 1-yard rushing touchdown. It’s 28-20 Trojans.

10:17 p.m.

Despite stuffing the Trojans at the goal line on 3rd & Goal, USC regained a second set of downs following a personal foul against the Wildcats.

10:13 p.m.

End of the third quarter.

(Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)

USC has a 1-point lead and a first down on the Arizona 1-yard line. Caleb Williams has 142 yards and a touchdown on 8 completions, while Arizona quarterback Noah Fifita has 249 yards, two touchdowns and an interception on 18 completions.

10:09 p.m.

The score has been reversed. The Trojans earned the first down and will have a 1st & Goal inches away from the goal line.

10:08 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS. (REVERSED: SEE ABOVE UPDATE)

That’s a Trojan touchdown. Williams connects with wide receiver Michael Jackson III for their fourth touchdown of the night.

10:05 p.m.

Williams sends a pass on the run to Tahj Washington for 26-yards. They have a first down at the Arizona 13-yard line after a face mask penalty.

9:59 p.m.

Arizona punts to the USC 23-yard line. Safety Calen Bullock highlighted the drive for the Trojan defense with a solid pass break up.

9:49 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Lloyd rushes up the middle for a 10-yard touchdown. USC takes a one point lead, their first of the night.

9:49 p.m.

USC gets another break. A roughing the passer call against the Wildcats brings Williams and the offense to a 1st & Goal from the 9-yard line.

9:47 p.m.

The Trojans receive a first down at the Arizona 27-yard line following a pass interference call against the Wildcats on 4th down.

9:44 p.m.

Williams scrambles for 20-yards. The Trojans have crossed midfield and have a 1st & 10 at the Wildcats’ 44-yard line.

9:42 p.m.

USC will take over at its own 25-yard line.

9:38 p.m.

Field goal Wildcats.

Arizona converts a field goal from the USC 11-yard line.

9:34 p.m.

42-yard carry by Jonah Coleman has the Wildcats at the Trojan 11-yard line.

9:34 p.m.

Fifita is given plenty of time in the pocket before firing a pass to T. McMillan for 21-yards to the Arizona 47-yard line.

9:31 p.m.

We’re back! The Wildcats will begin the first drive of the second half from their own 25-yard line.

9:09 p.m.

Halftime from the Coliseum.

(Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)

It’s the first time in the 2023 season that the Trojans have been held under 20 points in the first half. Arizona will get the ball to start the second half.

Caleb Williams has 92 yards and a passing touchdown on four completions to go with a rushing touchdown. Arizona quarterback Noah Fifita has 188 yards and 2 touchdowns on 16 completions.

9:05 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Caleb Williams finds Kyron Hudson for a 5-yard touchdown pass. With two seconds left in the half, it’s 17-14 Arizona.

9:00 p.m.

Rice comes down with a ridiculous 31-yard pass at the Arizona 9-yard line.

8:59 p.m.

Marshawn Lloyd rushes for 21 yards, he’s tripped up at the Arizona 35-yard line.

8:58 p.m.

USC forces a three and out and Arizona punts. After a bad punt, USC takes over at their own 35-yard line.

8:52 p.m.

Williams sacked on second down, sets up a 3rd & 11, and Williams throws it into the ground to escape pressure. The Trojans punt sets Arizona up at their own 40-yard line.

8:48 p.m.

The Trojans force a 4th & 22. After the punt, Williams and the offense will hop back on the field at their own 11-yard line.

8:47 p.m.

SACK! Jamil Muhammad in the backfield and the Wildcats lose 12 yards.

8:45 p.m.

The Wildcats gained 27 yards on a dump to running back Jonah Coleman. They will resume the drive at the USC 47-yard line.

8:36 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Caleb Williams runs the ball into the endzone from four yards out and the Trojans are on the board in the second quarter. After the point after, it’s Arizona 17, USC 7.

8:36 p.m.

INTERCEPTION!

Cornerback Jacobe Covington takes it right back and runs it to the Arizona 12-yard line.

8:35 p.m.

And just like that, the Wildcats have the ball back. Williams lost the fumble on the Arizona 39-yard line.

8:34 p.m.

Wide receiver Brenden Rice hauls down a 53-yard pass, and the chains will finally move for the Trojans.

8:29 p.m.

The Trojans will start their drive from the 25-yard line after the touchback.

8:28 p.m.

Touchdown Wildcats.

Tight end T. McLauchlan waltzed into the end zone on an 18-yard completion. With just over 13 minutes remaining in the second quarter, the score is AZ 17, USC 0.

8:26 p.m.

The Wildcats execute a flea-flicker for 39-yards and enter the Trojan red zone.

8:22 p.m.

Arizona wide receiver Jacob Cowing is forced to leave the field after suffering what appears to be a lower-body injury.

8:19 p.m.

At the end of the first quarter, the score is Arizona 10, USC 0.

Arizona running back DJ Williams has 27 yards on five carries, and quarterback Noah Fifita has 85 yards and a touchdown on 8 completions. Trojans quarterback Caleb Williams has three yards on one completion.

(Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)
8:09 p.m.

Another three-and-out for the Trojans. A penalty on the return puts the ball at the Arizona 8-yard line.

8:07 p.m.

USC will begin the drive at their own 25-yard line.

8:01 p.m.

Touchdown Wildcats.

Arizona found the end zone on a 23-yard completion from Fifita to wide receiver Jacob Cowing. This play followed a 15-yard rush by running back D.J. Williams. Arizona has posted 116 yards, while USC has a mere 6. The score is USC 0 – AZ 10.

7:56 p.m.

After a pass interference gives them their first first down of the game, USC’s drive stalls and punts the ball back to Arizona.

7:52 p.m.

The Trojans will begin their drive from the USC 17-yard line.

7:49 p.m.

Field goal Wildcats.

USC forces the stop on third down and Arizona kicks a field goal to make it 3-0. USC trails for the first time in a game this season.

7:47 p.m.

Arizona completion from redshirt freshman quarterback Noah Fifita to sophomore wide receiver Tetairoa McMillan for 30 yards. Early penalties by the Trojan defense have the Wildcats situated well into the redzone.

7:44 p.m.

After a quick three-and-out, USC punts to the Arizona 34-yard line.

7:41 p.m.

The Trojan offense will begin the game on their own 25-yard line after the touchback.

7:40 p.m.

The coin is up and it’s tails! Arizona won the coin toss and elected to defer to the second half. Week 6 between the No. 9 USC Trojans and Arizona Wildcats is underway.

6:24 p.m.

Warming up.

• Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan
Brought to you by:
Leila MacKenzie is an assistant sports editor at the Daily Trojan.
Justin White is a sports staff writer for the Daily Trojan.
Jordan Renville is a sports photographer at the Daily Trojan.
Jonathan Park is the digital managing editor at the Daily Trojan.