corook slays The Roxy Theatre

The multi-instrumentalist performed in L.A. Saturday on their first headline tour.

By SEBASTIAN DOMINGUEZ
Singer-songwriter corook takes inspiration from funk, indie and rock to form their own quirky brand of alt pop. (Jeremiah Torres)

corook’s “serious person” tour made a stop in the City of Angels. The tour included a total of 24 dates across the span of September and October, making stops in a number of major cities, including Atlanta, New York City, Boston and Toronto. morgen, being corook’s only opener, created a sense of urgency and determination for fans who came with the sole objective to see their favorite singer, songwriter and producer — who is also extremely talented when it comes to playing kazoos.

Because corook loves to interact with their fans, The Roxy Theatre was the perfect venue. The ambiance created by the small yet sizable space was perfect to showcase the artist’s cult-like fan following and allow for fan interaction. With consistent conversation-like speeches and the prioritization of the crowd’s energy, corook truly showcased themself as a top notch performer.

The show began with an omnipotent yet ominous voice introducing corook by telling their story.

The introduction at the start of the set was important to reach those who were not familiar with corook’s journey. It allowed for a better understanding of the show’s ambiance and minuscule details like the setlist, backdrop and corook’s style choice. In essence, this introduction served to bring all those in attendance up to speed to understand every reference in both the performance and the specific songs they chose to perform.

corook took the stage in an awkwardly comedic tone. They slowly made their way to the microphone while maintaining a toothless grin with their hand performing a slow yet effective “Princess Diana” style wave. The fans loved this to say the least, a few even shouting “I LOVE YOU” throughout the dark venue. After offering another brief introduction, probably for those who showed up late or didn’t pay attention to the one at the beginning, corook started playing the cords resonating with their song titled “serious person.”

This track, along with many of the others performed throughout the night, did not resemble the recorded versions of the same songs. Despite maintaining resemblance in lyrics, the live renditions’ use of instruments, tone, flow and delivery were all different, creating a sense of exclusivity among all those who watched corook perform in awe. One of the best examples of this came with the performance of “snakes.” On Spotify, the track blends in with the lo-fi pop genre. However, the audience at The Roxy was treated to an upbeat pop and rap song.

Apart from changing delivery, corook provided an insightful introduction to each and every song they performed. This was especially true in the artist’s prelude to the “the dog,” explaining how the song was their interpretation of feelings of uncertainty and doubt they experienced while in a long-term relationship.

Another entertaining part of the night came in the form of scripted, yet improvised infomercials. There were a total of two throughout the show and both made the audience laugh so much that bystanders would have assumed a comedy show was going on. These infomercials advertised the countless merch offered such as socks and T-shirts.

What made these forms of advertisements so entertaining to watch was their live action improvisation. The one specifically made for the “serious person” tour socks featured two classic sock puppets who acted as estranged lovers while “Careless Whisper” by George Michael played in the background.

corook’s first L.A. tour date was beyond successful. The Saturday show was proof that corook values an important aspect of the music industry: fan experience. Their prioritization of crowd energy and naturally unforced good vibes resulted in a comfortable environment. The family-friendly ambiance made it easy for all those who have never interacted with corook before to feel not only welcome, but encouraged to return.