Women’s volleyball goes winless in the Bay

The Trojans win one set out of seven in two games up against Cal and Stanford.

By JOSEPH DOMINGOT
The Trojans dropped two games against Cal, Stanford over the weekend, bringing their record to 11-7 overall. (Emma Silverstein / Daily Trojan)

USC women’s volleyball failed to bounce back against UC Berkeley Sunday. After starting conference play this year with four straight wins, the Trojans have only won one of their last four games, all of which were away.

The Trojans (11-7, 5-3 Pac-12) conceded the first set of the match 25-14. Their momentum continued to spiral downward as the Golden Bears (13-6, 2-6) capitalized, going up two sets to none after a 25-21 set. USC fought on to force a fourth set after a 10-point victory in the third set. However, that would not be enough for the Trojans as the Golden Bears snatched a victory in the fourth set, winning 25-21 in Haas Pavilion, clinching their second conference victory this season.

“I take full responsibility for the loss, and it starts from the top,” said Head Coach Brad Keller in an interview with the Daily Trojan. “Everyone needs to take a good look in the mirror and figure out what the next steps are for the players personally and also what we need to do.”

Through a statistically tight and contested match, the Golden Bears chalked up more kills, attempts, points and aces than the Trojans, who notched more assists and blocks throughout Sunday’s contest. Both teams made the same amount of errors — 18 — on the day. However, California took advantage with its hitting percentage and its defense, as the Golden Bears chalked up 63 digs compared to USC’s 58.

The Trojans started off on the wrong foot hitting-wise, as they had a 10% hitting percentage in the first set. USC’s hitting percentage gradually increased as the game went on, but it would not be enough as California earned its eighth victory versus the Trojans at home.

“It was brutal on all levels,” Keller said. “I thought [California] played great volleyball throughout, and we never actually adjusted and never actually did anything important today.”

This game marks California’s first victory over USC in 15 matches. The Trojans left Haas Pavilion without a win for the first time since 2009. With this defeat, USC fell to a 3-7 record when playing away from home, including non-conference games.

The game against California Sunday followed after a sweeping loss for USC against No. 3 Stanford (15-2, 8-0) at Maples Pavilion.

After holding an advantage in the first set of play, the lead slipped away from the Trojans as the Cardinal won three successive sets to convincingly grab the win on its home floor. USC lost for the 12th straight time against Stanford as the Cardinal recorded its 71st victory against the Trojans in 98 meetings. In Bay Area cities, the Trojans fall just below a 50% winning rate, winning 46 out of 96 games in Northern California.

Senior outside hitter Skylar Fields recorded a match-high 22 kills despite USC’s defeat in Berkeley. Fields has averaged nearly five kills per set for the Trojans this season, amounting to 353 total kills for herself in 18 games. Furthermore, Fields notched up 10 kills against Stanford, recording her 46th and 47th double-digit kill games in her USC career.

Coming up for the Trojans, USC will host two Washington-based teams at Galen Center: Washington State (17-2, 7-1) Friday at 7:00 p.m. and Washington (13-6, 4-4) Sunday at 2:00 p.m.