Toys and tips: Sexploration tent returns

Sex Week kicked off last week, featuring events aimed at promoting sex positivity, wellbeing and education.

By MARCEL LACEY

The Sexploration tent returned to McCarthy Quad Wednesday, featuring Q&A sessions with “sexperts” and activities for students, including tables where they played “This or That” with first date ideas and added songs they would have on their sex playlist.

Sex Week 2023 — which will run Oct. 14 through Oct. 21 — marks the second year since its inception. The Graduate Student Government, Undergraduate Student Government, and USC’s Women and Youth Supporting Each Other chapter sponsored the tent’s offerings.

In the tent, students sat on couches facing the “sexperts,” including Erin Tillman, a certified sex educator and intimacy coordinator, and Nenna Joiner, founder of Feelmore, an adult goods store located in Oakland and Berkeley.

Devin Ayala, a senior majoring in environmental science and health and student coordinator with Student Health, said the tent aimed to be a place for students to get their sex questions answered and engage in sex-positive conversation.

“We want to rewrite that narrative to talk about other areas of sex like boundaries, consent, pleasure and self-gratification,” Ayala said.

“Sexperts” answered anonymous sex questions, submitted online through a scannable QR code from students, and paused between questions to read results from the raffle.

Joiner said Sex Week is important for promoting better sexual habits in a community like USC, as college could be many students’ first exposure to sex.

“I’m surprised that it hasn’t been happening, but I believe that it is a step in the right direction that people can look forward to Sex Week, especially sophomores, juniors and seniors,” Joiner said. “When freshmen come in, they’re getting educated around some of the healthy behaviors.” 

At booths surrounding the “sexperts,” students learned about relationship and sexual wellbeing resources available to them. They also participated in surveys and received free safe-sex items, including condoms.

Representatives from Student Health, Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention and Services, and the Student Assembly for Gender Empowerement offered materials to educate students on the various resources available to them.

Jomille Jerez, a senior majoring in health and human sciences, said she enjoyed the tent because of how inclusive it was.

“They have ways to talk about sex in a positive way, but also safe sex and consent,” Jerez said. “They also have books on the desk to show how to have sex safely if you haven’t had sex by this age. It also includes the LGBTQIA+ community and it’s not heteronormative, which is good.”

Students also had the opportunity to enter a raffle for a chance to win a sex toy or adult good of their choice. Alexis Morales, a junior majoring in public policy, said he was happy to have won a prize in the raffle.

“I literally came in five minutes ago and I already got a prize, so I’m very happy with that. It says ‘Head Honcho,’” Morales said. “It looks like some form of fleshlight, which is really cool.”

Morales said events like the Sexploration tent are beneficial for college students because they help answer questions and promote sex positivity.

“College students are obviously having sex, and so this is a great way to give them an idea of how to navigate sex safely. I think it’s very beneficial,” Morales said.

Sex Week will continue with “Sex in the Dark” at Tommy’s Place Thursday, which will feature late night trivia, giveaways and drag performances.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.