THE CULTURAL PLAYBOOK

Exploring culinary traditions in sports

The food culture of sports reveals rich customs.

By REGINA CORREA

When thinking about the possible cross-section between food and sports, most automatically think about the concessions at sporting events. But food and drinks sneak their way into sports in many more ways. 

Like champagne! Although the notable Formula 1 podium celebration involves the top three drivers spraying it on each other and the crowd, there’s arguably a better use for it — Daniel Ricciardo’s shoey! Which might be even more iconic. 

The spraying of champagne wasn’t always an F1 staple; it originated from 24 Hours of Le Mans races. The first champagne spray in motorsports happened accidentally at the 1966 Le Mans race by driver Jo Siffert when his cork popped out and sprayed the crowd. 

A year later, the tradition was established. The 1967 Le Mans race featured Ford driver Dan Gurney spraying a bottle of champagne to celebrate his performance. Since then, race drivers have inspired him and continue the practice. 

The spraying of champagne has made it a long way since then; it’s not just about spraying each other, but drinking it out of a shoe, a staple practice for Ricciardo. It all started in 2016 at the German Grand Prix, when he drank champagne from his shoe to celebrate his P2 win. From that point on, it’s become a trademark for him.

Drinks tend to be a big part of celebrations in sports, and different sports have their special traditions. Champagne sprays are F1s, but Gatorade showers are football’s, and it’s a big deal.

The practice of players drenching their head coach is said to have been started by New York Giants player Jim Burt in 1984 after beating the Washington Redskins. Two years later, the tradition was better established when Burt continued dousing Head Coach Bill Parcells after every win that season. 

Today, even the color of the Gatorade has become important, as football fans participate in betting on what color the Gatorade will be at the Super Bowl.

Although drinks bring a lot of fun to sports, foods are just as recognizable, especially stadium foods that have become a tradition, like the Fenway Frank hot dogs.

Being the oldest park in the MLB, Fenway Park has been around for 111 years, and the Fenway Frank hot dogs are not far behind. If you ever get the chance to try it, take it! Today, it’s not just a baseball staple, but a Boston must-try. 

Another essential on my bucket list is Wimbledon’s strawberries and cream. Although I do love my mom’s version of this, having them in London just feels like a way better option (sorry Mom).

Strawberries and cream may seem like a weird combination to serve at a sporting event, but it does make sense considering that tennis and strawberries have been seen as a sign of summer approaching, but how they came to be in Wimbledon is quite random. 

Strawberry season fell right at the time that the tournament was held, and the berries were simply a trendy thing to eat in the late 1800s.  

Whether for show or enjoyment, these various foods and drinks go hand in hand with their respective sports and make up just a small portion of special sports traditions.

Regina Correa is a freshman writing about the world of sports, its intersection with culture and the stories that lie within in her column, “The Cultural Playbook,” which runs every other Monday.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.