Cal vs. USC, a 108-year tradition, gets its final chapter

The Pac-12 foes will square off one final time before realignment next season.

By KASEY KAZLINER
USC will prepare for the Golden Bears for the final time as Pac-12 foes. (Brooks Taylor / Daily Trojan)

When considering USC’s true rivals, UCLA, Notre Dame and Stanford would typically be the first to come to mind. However, one could argue that UC Berkeley should be up there, too. The Trojans and Golden Bears have played each other nearly every year since 1915 and have had numerous classic match-ups. 

To add to the lore of the yearly battle, when taking on USC, Cal will traditionally sport its “Joe Roth” era royal blue jerseys along with throwback gold helmets, which its players have worn almost annually and specifically against the Trojans since 2017.

The No. 24 Trojans (6-2, 4-1 Pac-12) and Golden Bears (3-4, 1-3) will go separate ways after this season ends. Cal will join the ACC, along with Southern Methodist University and Stanford, and USC, along with UCLA, Washington and Oregon, will be in the Big Ten. Because of this transition, Saturday will be the final time these historic teams face each other, at least for the foreseeable future.

Whether or not the Golden Bears are considered a “true rival” of the Trojans, the two teams have shared history for more than a century. With change ahead, it’s time to revisit some of the classic games between USC and Cal.

1915 — The inaugural matchup

In front of a crowd of 10,000 at California Field, the predecessor of California Memorial Stadium, the Trojans defeated Cal 28-10 and moved to a 3-0 record. Despite a strong start to the season, the Trojans wouldn’t win another game and would lose to Cal in a second matchup. Then-Head Coach Ralph Glaze wouldn’t return for another season with USC, despite it being just his second in 1915.

1930 — Trojans shutout Bears, 74-0

The 1930 matchup between both teams would be the Trojans’ largest-ever margin of victory against the Golden Bears. The Trojans scored a whopping 11 touchdowns and finished with an 8-2 record after winning the Rose Bowl in the previous season.

2003 — Bears’ triple overtime win ends No. 3 USC’s BCS title hopes

In then-sophomore transfer Aaron Rodgers’ second career start, Cal upset the Trojans in triple overtime, which was USC’s only loss of the season. The Golden Bears won on a game-winning field goal by then-senior punter Tyler Fredrickson, and Rodgers threw for two touchdowns and ran one in himself. Despite overcoming a 14-point deficit in the third quarter, USC couldn’t finish when it mattered, and then-sophomore quarterback Matt Leinart threw three interceptions.

USC would eventually be awarded the Associated Press national title but missed out on the BCS title game because of this lone loss. This loss would be a fluke, however, as proven by USC’s 34 straight victories after this game.

2004 — No. 1 USC squeaks by No. 7 Cal, and Aaron Rodgers’ record-setting performance

2004 marked a time when USC and Cal were among the college football elite. This matchup was marquis, with heavy title implications and notable players. Rodgers’ 23 straight pass completions tied an NCAA record and kept California within striking distance throughout the game. 

The Golden Bears trailed USC 23-17 late in the fourth quarter but found themselves on the Trojans’ 9-yard line with four downs to spare. Almost miraculously, USC prevented Cal from scoring in the red zone and held onto its lead to win. Leinart threw for 164 yards and two touchdowns, and while this was nowhere near the level of Rodgers’ play, it was enough to win the game.

In Hollywood fashion, the Trojans proved that while facing a record-setting quarterback would be difficult in the final moments, a defensive masterpiece near the goal line could change history, and it did. USC would go on to win the BCS National Championship against No. 2 Oklahoma, while Cal — despite finishing at a 10-1 record — would miss out on a Rose Bowl selection.

2017 — No. 5 USC takes its 14th straight win over Cal

The Trojans utilized their defense to defeat the Golden Bears 30-20. USC picked off then-sophomore quarterback Ross Bowers four times, allowing then-redshirt sophomore Sam Darnold and the Trojans’ offense to flourish, securing USC’s 14th consecutive win over Cal. This would be the Trojans’ longest-ever win streak over the Bears. Cal would return to the win column against USC the following season, defeating the Trojans 15-14. 

The Cal-USC tradition has been alive for over a century but will end when both teams leave the Pac-12, along with eight other member schools. While the Trojans and Golden Bears will embark on new journeys that lie ahead, the history between the teams will always live on.