USC at Cal — as it happened

Last updated:
USC Football Live Scores

Scoring plays

Win probability

• Ethan Thai / Daily Trojan
📌 PINNED
Jack Hallinan & Kasey Kazliner from California Memorial Stadium; photos by Louis Chen & Ethan Thai

And we’re off.

The Trojans started off hot, scoring 17 points in the first quarter, but were quiet in the second quarter. Cal took the momentum and outscored USC 14-0 going into halftime. At the break, the Bears led 28-17.

In the second half, the Trojans’ defense improved and forced some turnovers. However, Cal was still been able to exploit the Trojans, and clung onto small leads. In the end, the Trojans defeated the Golden Bears, 50-49, following a huge defensive stop on Cal’s two-point conversion attempt. USC gets back in the win column after back-to-back losses, and in its final chapter with Cal, wins in a thrilling battle.

We’ll be reporting live from California Memorial Stadium. Refresh to see new updates.

5:11 p.m.

In a thriller, the Trojans hold on and defeat the Golden Bears, 50-49. It was an instant classic, with the Trojans winning the final ever Pac-12 matchup with Cal.

5:04 p.m.

Touchdown Golden Bears.

Cal found the end zone thanks to freshman running back Jaivian Thomas. However, the Bears could not convert on the two-point try. Junior safety Jaylin Smith came up huge for the Trojans, swatting Mendoza’s pass away. USC leads 50-49, with 0:58 to go in the game.

4:52 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

The Golden Bears turned it over on downs, which gave the USC offense a chance to do damage. The Trojans did just that: Lloyd’s massive 56-yard run set the Trojans up inside the 10 yard line, and Jones finished the drive off with a touchdown. Lynch’s extra point gives USC the edge, 50-43, with 3:33 to go.

4:48 p.m.

CAL FUMBLE RECOVERED BY USC; USC FUMBLE RECOVERED BY CAL.

On back-to-back plays, both defenses caused fumbles. USC forced Cal to surrender the football, but on the very next play, Williams was stripped, and Cal recovered. The Bears take over with a chance to take the lead. 5:06 remaining.

4:41 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Lloyd scores again, finding the end zone from nine yards out. Lynch makes the extra point. Following a wild turn of events for the Trojans, this game is knotted up at 43. 6:11 remaining in the fourth quarter.

4:39 p.m.

CAL FUMBLE RECOVERED BY USC.

USC punted, but forced Cal to fumble on the play. Freshman inside linebacker Tackett Curtis recovered, giving USC an opportunity to tie the game, deep in Bear territory.

4:34 p.m.

The Trojans get a crucial stop once again. Cal will punt it away on a 4th & 10 from its own 42 yard line.

4:28 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

From the one yard line, Williams sneaks it across the plane, pulling the Trojans within one score once again. Lynch nails the extra point, making it 43-36 Bears, with 11:15 to go in the fourth quarter.

4:22 p.m.

Williams finds Lloyd, who uses his legs to bring the Trojans all the way down to Cal’s six yard line. A huge 53-yard play for the Trojans, who need to find the end zone quickly.

4:15 p.m.

Touchdown Golden Bears.

Cal extends its lead to two touchdowns thanks to a quarterback sneak by Mendoza from the one yard line. The Bears make the point after, and lead 43-29.

4:09 p.m.

At the end of the third quarter, the Golden Bears lead 36-29 over the Trojans. In a back-and-forth game thus far, neither team has been able to pull ahead by a significant margin.

4:08 p.m.

Cal punts, but USC goes nowhere once again. Cal starts its drive at its own 46, and clings on to a seven-point lead.

4:02 p.m.

Cal’s defense dominates the Trojans. USC will punt following a three-and-out. Cal takes over at its own 47 yard line with 3:13 remaining in the quarter.

3:57 p.m.

Touchdown Golden Bears.

Mendoza runs it in from the three yard line, tapping the pylon on a sweeping run to his right.

The Golden Bears choose to go for two and convert on an Ott wildcat play that included a flea-flicker back to Mendoza. The pass goes to redshirt sophomore wide receiver Trond Grizzell. 36-29 Cal with 4:42 to go in the third.

3:46 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

USC scores as Williams connects with senior wide receiver Brenden Rice for a 22-yard touchdown. Lynch misses the extra point, however, so the Trojans only lead by one, 29-28.

3:42 p.m.

TROJANS INTERCEPTION.

Junior inside linebacker Eric Gentry picks off Mendoza. The Trojans’ defense looks vastly improved this half. USC will take over deep in Cal territory.

3:41 p.m.

USC punts after an uninspiring drive. Cal takes over once again, with 8:29 to go in the third quarter.

3:35 p.m.

Cal’s drive goes nowhere as the USC defense steps up for the second consecutive series this half. USC will set up shop at the Bears’ 47 yard line following freshman wide receiver/punt returner Zachariah Branch’s return.

3:30 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Williams runs it himself, scoring a six-yard touchdown. The Trojans attempted a two-point conversion but could not convert. The score sits at 28-23 in favor of the Golden Bears.

3:26 p.m.

Williams throws a deep pass to redshirt sophomore wide receiver Kyron Hudson for a 33-yard gain, bringing the Trojans deep into Bear territory. USC will operate inside the 10 yard line.

3:22 p.m.

USC stops the Cal offense near midfield. The Bears tried to convert on a 4th & 1, but the Trojans’ defense held down the fort. Hopefully, this is a sign of an improved defense for USC in the second half.

3:17 p.m.

USC kicks off the second half, and Cal will start at its own 20.

3:15 p.m.

Trojans’ Field Goal Attempt Missed

On the awarded play, Lynch attempted to get the Trojans within one score with a 33-yard field goal try, but missed off to the left. The Bears still lead 28-17, with the second half kickoff approaching.

2:56 p.m.

Amid the Cal band’s halftime show, the public address announcer stated that there was in fact one second left after McRee’s catch. Because of this, USC will be awarded one play from the 16 yard line before the second half kickoff. This is a huge call considering that a field goal attempt could make it a one-score game.

2:44 p.m.

END OF THE FIRST HALF.

Williams converts a 4th & 11 from just inside Cal territory to redshirt sophomore tight end Lake McRee but time expires. At halftime, the Bears lead 28-17 and will receive the second half kick.

2:39 p.m.

Massive 3rd & 10 conversion from Williams and the Trojans. From their own 44-yard line, Williams finds redshirt senior wide receiver Tahj Washington for a 12-yard gain to keep the drive alive.

2:33 p.m.

USC’s defense finally slows down the Golden Bears. Cal attempted a 4th & 10 play from the USC 34 yard line, but turned the ball over on downs.

2:29 p.m.

Cal has taken control of this game on both sides of the ball. The Bears force a third consecutive USC punt and the offense is moving the chains with ease. 4:17 left in the half.

2:13 p.m. 

Touchdown Golden Bears.

This is turning into a nightmare outing from the Trojans defense. Cal’s redshirt freshman quarterback Fernando Mendoza completes a 17-yard pass to Trond Grizzell in the endzone. The Bears lead 28-17 with 8:58 left in the first half.

2:13 p.m.

Deep in their own territory, the Trojans will punt for a second consecutive series. Williams completed a third-down pass to redshirt senior wide receiver Tahj Washington, but it wasn’t enough for the first down.

2:07 p.m.

Touchdown Golden Bears.

Who else but Ott? Cal’s star running back has three touchdowns already, scoring the latest on a four-yard carry on 2nd & goal. USC needs to find answers quickly.

1:58 p.m.

Cal forces a USC punt on the first drive of the second quarter — the first drive on which the Trojans have failed to score.

1:55 p.m.

At the end of the first quarter, USC leads 17-14 over Cal. Both offenses have been dominant; USC will need to slow down the Golden Bears’ run-game in order to stop them.

1:53 p.m.

Touchdown Golden Bears.

Ott tortures the USC defense once again. With the Cal offense back on the field for just three plays, the Cal running back finds the Trojans’ weakness on the edge for a 60-yard touchdown. The sophomore already has 131 rushing yards and two scores in just six carries.

1:49 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Williams throws short to redshirt senior running back Austin Jones for a six-yard touchdown. USC’s 80-yard drive consisted of only six plays. The reigning Heisman has been well in-sync with his offense. 17-7 USC.

1:43 p.m.

Touchdown Golden Bears.

Sophomore running back Jaydn Ott evades Trojan defenders for a 43-yard touchdown run. 10-7 Trojans with just under four minutes left in the first quarter. USC needs to find a way to slow down the dangerous Ott.

1:34 p.m.

TOUCHDOWN TROJANS.

Following the fumble recovery, the Trojans march down the field in just five plays for the touchdown. Redshirt junior running back MarShawn Lloyd runs it in from two yards out, with Lynch hitting the extra point.

1:29 p.m.

CAL FUMBLE RECOVERED BY USC.

On just Cal’s second offensive play, redshirt junior cornerback Jacobe Covington scooped up the loose ball. USC back on offense.

1:25 p.m.

FIELD GOAL TROJANS. 

After failing to convert on 3rd & 5 from the 6 yard line, redshirt sophomore Denis Lynch converts a 23-yard field goal. USC up 3-0. 

1:15 p.m.

USC will start at the 20 yard line. Junior quarterback Caleb Williams and the offense takes the field.

1:11 p.m.

Seems like kickoff will be delayed due to an apparent sit-in protest at midfield. Law enforcement is on hand to deal with the situation.

1:08 p.m.

Captains senior inside linebacker Mason Cobb, redshirt junior left tackle Jonah Monheim, redshirt center Justin Dedich and redshirt senior inside linebacker Shane Lee win the coin toss and choose to receive.

The Trojans’ offense will make its way out to the field following the kickoff.

12:30 p.m.

30 minutes to kickoff as USC looks to win its final Pac-12 game against Cal. Head Coach Lincoln Riley will be on the sideline after missing two practices earlier this week due to pneumonia.