USC can learn from LMU’s Dream Center

Undocumented students need a dedicated center, and LMU shows it’s possible.

By HEYDY VASQUEZ

(Ally Marecek / Daily Trojan)

The University prides itself in diversity and inclusion, but one group often gets forgotten: undocumented students. There needs to be more than an acceptance letter from the University to bring diversity and inclusion to campus; the University must allocate integrated resources to all student populations. 

The University has yet to meet this community’s needs, despite other universities, like Loyola Marymount University, taking strides to do so. Resource allocation such as career advice, financial assistance and more to undocumented students on their education journey is crucial for fostering inclusivity and equal opportunities in and after USC. However, as the advocacy liaison with the Undergraduate Student Government for Improving Dreams, Equality, Access and Success, I have had a front row seat to the University’s minimal efforts that have failed to meet this standard. 

The efforts at USC are noticed, undocumented Trojans remain in the shadows, alone in facing legal, academic and financial barriers. As a result, Improving Dreams, Education, Access, and Success proposed an Undocumented Trojan Support Center in Fall 2019 to President Carol Folt and former Vice President for Student Affairs Winston Crisp. 

Despite these student efforts, the University has yet to follow through on even the most basic request for the appointment of a Dream Resource Liaison within the First Generation Plus Success Center. By refusing to increase the center’s funding, current faculty and staff in the space are overworked and unable to adequately meet the unique needs of each individual community. 

USC advertises its open arms to undocumented students seeking higher education — their presence on campus is no accident. Throughout our fight, the University has claimed that initiatives like an UndocuTrojan Resource Center are infeasible because of current laws or would require a significant portion of the student body to be impacted to follow through with it. 

In my experience, undocumented students on campus have been told by administrators that they are asking too much and that they should not expect all demands to be met. This statement contributes to standing with undocumented students and is reductive to all students. No matter the group of students, the presence and lack of sufficient resources is a prevalent issue. 

When students feel the University has not adequately addressed their needs, it is for a reason. The undocumented struggle is too unique to be housed under current cultural spaces, as undocumented communities require privacy, which can not be addressed and accommodated by a sole cultural center. The University has to acknowledge this, as LMU has already done.  

Often, I hear claims that it is more complex for USC to establish a center because it is a private institution. However, the fight for an Undocumented Dream Center for LMU students has been won, and LMU — also a private institution — has even hired a director of the Dream Center. 

After opening the center, executive vice president and provost Thomas Poon stated, “The Dream Center reinforces our affirmation that Dreamers belong at LMU,” acknowledging that a physical space provides sanctuary and a sense of belonging and enforcing that Dreamers belong in their school. 

If one private university, let alone one only 12 miles away from campus, has already met this need, what is stopping USC? 

Excuses can no longer be tolerated; Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals recipients have graduated from this college and many have dropped out. Getting accepted to the University is one step, it is another to have the resources to graduate. USC needs to foster a better relationship with its undocumented population and act upon their request for safety and better resource inclusion. 

Instead of living and thriving, undocumented students are defending and surviving. LMU’s initiatives to include a physical space with a coordinator should be a lesson for USC. 

Currently, the University has an opportunity to meet these needs and establish a physical and central space for undocumented students. Just a few weeks ago, IDEAS presented a 9-year-old resolution that has finally been signed and passed by the administration to appoint a Dream Center liaison and construct a center to meet the needs of Trojan Dreamers. 

The resolution opens the door for USC’s administration to act on the blueprint created by LMU students and faculty. LMU’s approach fosters community among students who are already limited in their advocacy work because of the inherent risk of making their identity known. It is up to the University to support the students it accepts onto campus; welcoming undocumented students into higher education means nothing without the resources needed to graduate and thrive at USC.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.