Women’s volleyball fights on in Mountain West

The Trojans were able to snap their six-game losing streak in Salt Lake City.

By JOSEPH DOMINGOT
Senior outside hitter Skylar Fields racked up 24 of USC’s total 61 kills against the Utes over the weekend. She leads the team with 421 kills. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)

USC women’s volleyball bounced back in four sets against Utah Sunday at Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City. The Trojans clinched their eighth conference win this season as they sit fifth in the Pac-12 standings.

USC (14-8, 8-4 Pac-12) conceded the first set of the match 25-21. However, the momentum from the Utes (9-13, 4-8) seemed to fade away as the Trojans retaliated in the second set 25-20. Utah was no match for USC from that point on as the Trojans took control with two further sets taken 26-24 and 25-21.

The Utes recorded its eighth loss in conference play as the Trojans recorded their third win against the Utes in the past four matches and their first sweep against Utah since 2017.

“[This victory is] a big deal for us just because our record at the mountain schools haven’t been great in the last few years,” said sophomore libero Gala Trubint. “So being able to come out with a win against Utah and sweep Utah this season is huge.”

The Trojans recorded more kills, attempts, digs, assists and errors. Although USC registered four more errors compared to Utah, the Trojans made up for it as they recorded a higher hitting percentage throughout the match.

This game marks USC’s first away victory over Utah since 2017 and its 21st victory all-time against the Utes. Head Coach Brad Keller recorded his first away win against Utah in his USC career and stopped a five-game losing streak against teams based in the state of Utah.

Two nights prior, the Trojans fell to the Colorado Buffaloes (13-10, 5-7) through five sets at CU Events Center Friday. Following back-and-forth sets between USC and Colorado, the Buffaloes clinched their fifth conference win in dramatic fashion as they clinched their first victory over the Trojans in five-set matches. Colorado earned its fourth victory all-time against USC and its third consecutive home victory against the Trojans, spanning back to the 2021 season.

“I think we got outplayed and outmatched by Colorado,” Keller said. “You just kind of pick up the pieces and you watch the video and get ready for the next one.”

Senior outside hitter Skylar Fields recorded 23 and 24 kills against Colorado and Utah respectively. In her two-season collegiate career as a Trojan, Fields has recorded her 50th and 51st games with double-digit kills.

“I think after we played how we did on Friday, I’m really proud of it,” Fields said. “[We] are the ones who are capable, how we play, having the mindset that we can go on and attack and being able to execute.”

The Trojans hope to extend this winning start as USC will host two Arizona-based teams back home at Galen Center: Arizona (6-17, 1-11) Friday at 7:00 p.m. and Arizona State (21-3, 9-3) Sunday at 2:00 p.m.