WRITTEN IN THE STARS

A life-changing two-year eclipse cycle

The Oct. 28 lunar eclipse may have caused major shakeups. 

By JENNA PETERSON
Miranda Davila / Daily Trojan

If this Halloweekend felt a little spookier than usual, the stars and planets may be to blame.

This past Saturday, there was a lunar eclipse in Taurus, the end of a two-year cycle of eclipses on the Scorpio-Taurus axis that started Nov. 19, 2021. People with Taurus and Scorpio placements in particular (but also with the other fixed sign placements, Aquarius and Leo) have felt it the hardest.

Lunar eclipses tend to open the door for major changes in one’s life. These are usually changes that push one to the path they’re meant to be on, but things may have to fall apart to come back together, and the universe has been working its magic since that fateful November day.

As I do every time there’s a major astrological event, I’ve been reflecting on what this eclipse cycle means for me, trying to pinpoint exactly what I was going through two years ago. The more I thought, the more I began to realize the eclipse has been about finding my place at USC.

It feels strange to say that my USC experience can be summed up in just two years, but because of the coronavirus pandemic, Fall 2021 was my first semester on campus. On Nov. 19, 2021, I was sleeping under the stars at Hecuba in the Village with the USC Helenes. I remember talking to older Helenes who were part of the Daily Trojan as they encouraged me to apply to be a news editor.

“I’m scared I won’t be able to handle it,” I remember saying verbatim.

It’s hard to comprehend how much has happened since then. I’m writing this in my office as I begin to wrap up my term as editor-in-chief. I’m now privy to the planning of Hecuba Watch as a member of Helenes’ executive board. It’s funny, because when I feel like I’m losing motivation, or it all feels like too much, I think back to that day.

At the beginning of the eclipse cycle, I would have been ecstatic to hear that I now hold the positions I do, that the risks I was taking would pay off, that I’ve had a good college experience.

I could handle being a news editor, and I’ve handled so much more since — that’s the lesson I’m taking with me as we exit this eclipse season. To any seniors who may be reading this, I encourage you to think back to your first semester on USC’s campus, and take a moment to recognize how far you’ve come. If you found yourself reminiscing about your college experience this past weekend, now you know why.

Some lucky individuals who don’t have prominent fixed sign placements may have come out of this last cycle unscathed. However, the stars never stop. The Aries-Libra eclipse cycle started April 20, so cardinal signs — Aries, Libra, Cancer and Capricorn — are next to take the heat.

Aries represents ambition, assertiveness and courage, while Libra represents balance and justice. The combination of these two energies may lead to increased passion about social justice issues, or simply for advocating for oneself. While the Taurus-Scorpio eclipse axis may have prompted introspection, the Libra-Aries season will encourage us to externalize those realizations and apply them into our daily lives.

The Libra-Aries eclipse season will last until March 14, 2025. So buckle in for yet another wild ride. Even if you don’t have cardinal placements, look at what houses Aries and Libra are in in your birth chart. Although the effects may be subtle, you may feel changes in these areas of your life. For example, if Aries is in your tenth house like mine, you could feel more ambitious when it comes to your career or social status, maybe putting yourself in the spotlight more than you’re used to.

But for those of us who have prominent fixed and cardinal placements, at least we can take a small sigh of relief after this weekend. We’re also eclipse free until the end of the year, with the next lunar eclipse being March 24. Take this time to get in touch with yourself and where you want this season to take you — with the energy in the air, nearly anything is possible.

Jenna Peterson is a senior writing about anything and everything astrology related in her column “Written in the Stars.” She is also the editor-in-chief of the Daily Trojan.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.