Students remember late family with La CASA

La CASA celebrated Día de los Muertos with long-time traditions such as an ofrenda and face painting.

By MELISSA GRIMALDO
an ofrenda
Students gathered in La CASA Wednesday to reflect on the meaning of Día de los Muertos and learn about Mexican culture. Particpants made crafts and ate traditional foods (Melissa Grimaldo / Daily Trojan)

Decorative paper cuttings, orange marigolds and decorative skulls could be found inside the Latinx/Chicanx Center for Advocacy and Student Affairs, also known as La CASA, Nov. 1. The decorations — papel picado, cempasuchil flowers and calaveras — are all in honor of the first day of Día de los Muertos, a two-day celebration originating in Mexico where family and friends join together and honor their loved ones who have passed away. 

La CASA invited students to join them in their Día de los Muertos celebration with an ofrenda, the traditional altar used during the celebration made in honor of family members, as well as arts and crafts, face painting, and snacks.

Consuelo Siguenza-Ortiz, an assistant teaching professor of Spanish, spoke a few words at the event and greeted her students, whom she had encouraged to come to the event to learn more about the culture. 

“It’s a day of remembrance … to honor our beloved dead, to remember the traditions of our cultural heritage,” Siguenza-Ortiz said. “Here in a group with my students and Leticia [Delgado], Center Supervisor for La CASA, we have more culture… for example we make papel picado, [as well as] share pan de muerto and champurrado [a Mexican hot chocolate drink].” 

Siguenza-Ortiz also said the holiday is a reminder that death is a “great democratizer.” She explained how La Calavera Catrina, a skeleton character created by Mexican artist José Guadalupe Posada that has become an iconic part of Día de los Muertos, represents the idea that everyone is the same under their skin. 

“It’s important for everybody on campus to learn more about each other’s culture and to celebrate along with us,” Siguenza-Ortiz said. “I always bring my students to Día de los Muertos activities.”

Leea Pizarro Calvillo, a freshman majoring in business of cinematic arts, joined La CASA for the celebration. 

“Since I move often, I don’t do it with much family, but I do with my mother, father and little brother,” Pizarro Calvillo said. “We make a small ofrenda at our home with pictures of my grandfather … and we put down his favorite foods.” 

Pizarro Calvillo said Día de los Muertos is her favorite holiday. This day means telling and remembering stories of her loved ones that have made an impact in her life. Like Pizarro Calvillo and many other individuals, giving the time to celebrate and keep their stories alive is their way of letting their loved ones thrive in the land of the dead. 

Nathan George, a freshman majoring in biophysics and Spanish, said they also joined La CASA to participate in the activities. 

“I appreciate Día de los Muertos because it’s open to celebration. I feel like we don’t really get into death until we’re older,” George said. “At this point in my life, I really like Día de los Muertos because it’s a celebration, it’s happy.” 

George said La CASA serves as a compass to students who feel lost in their identity when coming to a campus as big as USC. They said La CASA is a place and a culture that “feels like home” and also educates them on Latine culture. 

“[Día de los Muertos] is a new tradition that I’m celebrating,” George said. “I didn’t really know much about it before, but it’s a lot of remembering — it’s not a somber holiday.”