Trojans aim for Arizona sweep

Women’s volleyball comes home after splitting two matches in the mountains.

By KASEY KAZLINER
Junior setter Mia Tuaniga totaled 45 assists, eight digs, three kills, two blocks and one service ace in the trojans last contest against Utah. (Ana Hunter)

Following two home wins, the Trojans’ momentum died down after losing to Colorado in Boulder, where USC hasn’t been victorious since 2019. However, defeating a  struggling Utah team in four sets put the Trojans back in the win column. USC’s next test is Arizona, a team that it narrowly defeated in Tucson earlier in the season in five sets.

While losing to the Buffaloes (13-10, 5-7 Pac-12) was a letdown, the win against the Utes (9-13, 4-8) keeps USC (14-8, 8-4) in the thick of the Pac-12’s top five. At this point, though, every match matters, and the Trojans must not get complacent in the final stretch of the season.

“The Pac-12 is crazy right now,” said senior outside hitter Skylar Fields in an interview with the Daily Trojan. “We’re really just trying to take it one match at a time and really focus in, lock on to the team that we’re playing against, focus on our game plan and go out and execute.”  

Fields is coming off two outstanding matches, where she totaled 23 and 25 kills against Colorado and Utah, respectively, leading the team both times. On top of this, Fields’ three blocks against the Buffaloes showed her versatility on the defensive side.

“I take a lot of responsibility in being a leader,” Fields said. “Not only being an example for my teammates on the court, but how they carry themselves off the court because we are more than volleyball players.” 

Fields’ team-leading kill numbers wouldn’t have been made possible without junior setter Mia Tuaniga. Tuaniga racked up 99 total assists between the two matches, bringing her season total to 787. Her 54 assists against Colorado were a season high, despite the loss.

“We’re just focused on our side. [We’ve] got to get better in a lot of things; little details are our biggest weakness right now,” Tuaniga said. “My main outlook on the rest of the season is taking it one touch at a time, one step at a time. I don’t want to look too far and then get caught up in the present.”

Redshirt sophomore middle blocker Tyrah Ariail also made a big impact for USC, totaling four blocks against Utah, a team high.

The Trojans will head home to face the Wildcats (6-17, 1-11), a squad that the Trojans edged 3-2 Oct. 8. Arizona has struggled immensely this season, dropping its last seven matches, and is 1-8 on the road. Its losing record, though, can be deceiving. The Wildcats gave the Trojans a run for their money in their last meeting and had key performances in the tight battle.

Arizona’s kill leader, senior outside hitter Sofia Maldonado Diaz, put up 16 kills against USC, including five in the fourth set. The runner-up in kills thus far is sophomore outside hitter and ex-Trojan Jordan Wilson, who led the Wildcats in this category against the Trojans with 20. If USC can replicate its defensive performance against Utah, and limit the duo’s offensive prowess, the Trojans should earn themselves a win.

“When you start executing what you need to do, and you do it on a more regular basis, and you see success, then momentum starts building,” Head Coach Brad Keller said.

The Trojans have been perfect on their home court this season, with an 8-0 record thus far. Including the upcoming match with Arizona, the Trojans have five home games remaining, with one against No. 15 Arizona State (21-3, 9-3). 

While the Pac-12’s best are seemingly neck-and-neck at the top, there is no reason to count USC out, especially with the road ahead. Friday’s match against Arizona is expected to be an easy victory, but the Trojans must give it their all to keep the momentum going.

USC will take on Arizona Friday at 7 p.m. at Galen Center.