USC Jewish community, allies rally to recognize one month since Oct. 7 Hamas attacks

The event included prayers, songs and speakers from Jewish groups on campus.

By ZACHARY WHALEN
Sophie Antevy, a Chabad at USC student leader and sophomore majoring in environmental engineering, spoke about her family members who were murdered in Israel on Oct. 7, as well as the strength of the Jewish community. (Emma Silverstein / Daily Trojan)

Students and faculty gathered Wednesday afternoon in Founders Park to recognize the shloshim — 30-day memorial — of Hamas’ attack on Israel at a rally organized by Chabad at USC and USC Hillel. 

In an interview with the Daily Trojan, Andrew Turquie, a junior majoring in intelligence and cyber operations who has a friend currently held hostage by Hamas, and an event speaker, said the event was intended to remember the victims of the Oct. 7 attacks and demonstrate their pride in being Jewish.

“We’re holding the event to show that we’re proud Jews, we’re here on campus, we have a loud voice. And we’re gonna remember our friends or family members that passed,” Turquie said. “No one’s gonna intimidate us; we’re here to stay.”

Sophie Antevy, a Chabad student leader and sophomore majoring in environmental engineering, took to the podium to give a speech. She spoke on the Jewish community’s strength and shared the story of her family members who were killed by Hamas during the Oct. 7 attacks. 

“I couldn’t believe that [my dad’s family in Israel] … would never again be able to kiss their loved ones good night … Members of Hamas broke into their home and shot them point blank, an innocent family, my family, murdered just for being Jewish,” Antevy said. “I will never forget the vibrant life the children had ahead of them, and we’ll never forget the sweet souls of their parents.”

Robert Williams, executive director of the USC Shoah Foundation and UNESCO chair on genocide education, delivered a speech regarding the rise of antisemitism. He said that in the month since the Oct. 7 attacks, antisemitism in the United States had increased by 380%. The Anti-Defamation League, which published the statistic, defines antisemitism as reported incidents of harassment, vandalism and assault. 

Williams emphasized the need for Jewish people to unite to face the rising hate. 

“More than 85 years ago, another group of highly capable intellectuals gathered to address antisemitism,” Williams said. “They disagreed on several points, but they also agreed that fighting antisemitism takes unity. Unfortunately, their efforts came too late: The Holocaust was already underway. We should learn from them to come together.”

Williams said that as deep-rooted as antisemitism is, it is a belief that can be combated, which starts with Jewish people standing up for their beliefs and their religion. 

“We have a responsibility to learn and to affirm our dignity. We must engage in respectful and civil dialogue while holding our heads high,” Williams said. “We could take inspiration from some of the heroes of the U.S. Civil Rights Movement. In particular, Rabbi Abraham Heschel is often ignored … [he] famously said that we should pray with our feet by marching for what is right.”

The event opened with remarks from Turquie. In his speech, he said that although the present may have been one of the darkest moments in Jewish history since the Holocaust, he was certain that the community would continue to rebuild and thrive, specifically focusing on the phrase “am yisrael chai,” a Jewish affirmation and anthem that translates to “the people of Israel live.”

“[Am yisrael chai] has been used as a battle cry, inspiration and hope throughout our history, a history filled of oppression, persecution … with each generation continuing on with ‘am yisrael chai’ spirit,” Turquie said. “After thousands of years of Jewish survival, I can wholeheartedly tell all of you: Hamas will not be the one to destroy us.”

Nathan Maryamian — a co-founder of Kippahs on Campus, a club dedicated to encouraging Jewish students to embrace their Jewish identity — took to the podium to discuss his personal experiences with antisemitism. Maryamian, a senior majoring in real estate development, also spoke to the impact of taking a Jewish studies class at USC, which inspired him to travel to Poland to visit concentration camps.

Kippahs on Campus’ other co-founder — Ethan Hamid, a junior majoring in human development and aging and health and the human sciences — recited a portion of the Mishnah, the original oral tradition of Judaism, which highlighted the way Judaism relates to wisdom and strength. Rabbi Dovid Junik then recited Yizkor, a memorial prayer, and Rabbi Dov Wagner recited the Mourner’s Kaddish, a memorial prayer that praises God, to students and faculty. 

Hillel and Chabad board members recited four texts in honor of Hamas hostages: Psalm 23 and Psalm 20, which discuss the victory and comfort God awards his followers; Acheinu, a prayer for people in captivity; and Mi Sheberach, a prayer for physical and spiritual healing. Faculty members then led the group through a recitation of the Oseh Shalom prayer for peace, which Wagner introduced.

“We all want there to be peace so that all innocent lives can be rebuilt, can be secure, can be safe, and that we can live securely and safely alongside our neighbors,” Wagner said. 

Wagner further discussed Jewish community and resilience by telling the story of a Jewish woman who fed and distracted Hamas militants in her home until help arrived, and discussed a portion of Jewish scripture that compared the Jewish people to olives. 

“The more you crush [an olive], the more it brings out its oil,” Wagner said. “So, too, the Jewish people … The more we are pushed, the more we are crushed, the more we can come together and live up to our purpose, our highest value.”