Trojan Threads creates USC apparel

Campbelle Searcy built an online shop as an outlet for creativity and sustainability.

By JESSICA MESSINA
Trojan Threads was founded because Searcy wanted “first-hand experience” in entrepreneurship, leading all parts of her business including production and marketing. (Campbelle Searcy)

Deciding on a career path is a daunting task for any college student. Despite the weight of the challenge, Campbelle Searcy has taken a leap toward her passion for innovation through the creation of Trojan Threads, a small business selling handmade USC apparel.

“I really started Trojan Threads because I wanted to get first-hand experience starting my own business and figuring out not only if it’s something that I want to continue, but if it’s something I enjoy,” said Searcy — a sophomore majoring in arts, technology and the business of innovation. “Do I like the creation part of it? Do I like social media management? Do I like the planning parts of it?”

As a student of the Iovine and Young Academy, Searcy is passionate about the overlaps between art, technology and business. The entrepreneurial spirit of her coursework has motivated her to take on new projects and explore her interests, which led her to pursue Trojan Threads.

It is just one of the projects Searcy has embarked on. Initially coming to USC with a background in fashion design, she has designed her own clothing pieces since high school. In January, Searcy created a piece worn to the GRAMMYs by singer, songwriter and violinist, Isolde Fair. She is currently working with other clients to create personalized pieces.

“I don’t just do the things that are on my site. I will and I can do any kind of custom order that you can possibly dream of,” Searcy said.

Searcy solely uses crochet and upcycled materials to make her merch, setting her apart from official school apparel, made from crochet designs. She creates all of her pieces herself. As both a sustainability and passion project, the business aims to put out unique and trendy pieces for students to show their USC pride.

“A lot of [merchandise brands] don’t necessarily tailor their merchandise to the students that are wearing them,” Searcy said. “We care about sustainability, we care about looking good, looking fly, looking flashy. And I knew that I could create pieces that replicated that and that held that same sentiment.”

Trojan Threads stays true to USC colors, using cardinal, gold and white throughout its pieces. The store offers a variety of merchandise options across styles, such as crop tops, vests, mesh shirts and hats. The Sunflower Sunset top and SC Distressed Vest are the most popular pieces, though Searcy also hopes to release jerseys, skirts and sweatshirts soon out of popular demand.

Campbelle Searcy is a sophomore fashion designer who started making her handmade clothes when she was in high school. Her projects include a piece for a GRAMMY-winning artist. (Campbelle Searcy)

Sarisha Sabhlok, a sophomore majoring in theater with an emphasis in acting, learned of Trojan Threads through her roommate. She helped Searcy advertise Trojan Threads at a football game by wearing her Sunflower Sunset top.

“I usually don’t really wear tops like that, especially to the games, but honestly it was so cute on me,” Sabhlok said. “I’ve never gotten so many compliments … on a game day.”

Searcy spent the summer as a sewing instructor, and in her downtime, picked up her old interest in crocheting. She found the activity peaceful among the busyness of her work hours and commitments.

“I feel like for me, to just crochet just eased my mind,” Searcy said. “It was a cool way to have a relaxing summer. I really just got into it, you know, and then I had the idea of Trojan Threads.”

Searcy handles all aspects of fashion design, marketing and production of her business.

“Everything is handmade by me,” Searcy said. “So far, depending on how things go throughout the semester, if things get a little bit bigger, I do have some people that I’ve been thinking about reaching out to potentially help out with all of this.”

Searcy’s longtime friend, Tyse Whittaker, has been a supportive witness to her fostering creativity since they were children. She is very proud of the unique take Searcy has for game day fashion.

“I know that she’s always been super interested in fashion and sustainability,” said Whittaker, a sophomore majoring in health and the human sciences. “It’s been really cool to see her develop that into what it is today.”

Her Instagram page @searxyprojects is host to Trojan Threads and a hub for all of Searcy’s projects. Listings of available pieces can be found on the business’s Notion page, where customers can place orders through a linked form. She hopes to grow the business with the help of USC student buyers.

“I’m hoping to have a pop up store very soon on campus, hopefully,” Searcy said.

Searcy said she’s actively looking to engage with fellow students and foster school spirit through her pieces.

“I just want to help out the community with whatever fashion- or art-related needs they need,” Searcy said.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.