USC women’s basketball route Le Moyne

The Trojans improved to 3-0 behind another stellar game from JuJu Watkins.

By WILEY HAGA
Freshman guard JuJu Watkins paced the Trojans again with her scoring, this time with a career-high 35 points with six made 3-pointers. (Louis Chen / Daily Trojan)

The No. 10 USC Trojans kept the momentum rolling Monday night with a dominant 93-42 win over Le Moyne College at Galen Center.

The Trojans (3-0) were again led by freshman guard JuJu Watkins, whose collegiate start has already surpassed the insurmountable expectations Trojan fans have been excited for. The No. 1 recruit put on another show, posting 35 points, nine rebounds, two assists and six steals. Watkins was lethal both at mid-range and from three, knocking down six 3-pointers alongside 13 field goals.

However, for Watkins, it’s not the spotlight that’s been her favorite part about suiting up for USC. Being able to play in her hometown has been the highlight of her young career.

“It’s very heartwarming, just to feel the energy here,” Watkins said. “All the love is amazing, especially that it’s in my hometown.”

USC delivered an early statement, going on an 11-0 run in the first four minutes to send a message to the Dolphins, holding the visitors scoreless until shortly after the first quarter’s five-minute marker.

The Trojans shot 53% from the field in the first quarter, with over half the team points in the paint. Watkins and junior center Rayah Marshall dominated down low, grabbing 11 of the team’s first-half 19 rebounds.

“It overall speaks to an aggression level,” Head Coach Lindsay Gottlieb said. “You want to get offensive rebounds … It’s heart, it’s [an] aggression level, and in women’s college basketball, it’s a difference maker.”

On the defensive end, USC’s 13 forced turnovers and seven steals spearheaded the Trojan’s fastbreak offense, which posted another 11 points. Holding Le Moyne to just 20 points in the first half, USC’s defense smothered the Dolphins, allowing 25% from the field and 14% from three.

“We are intentionally trying to play faster and have more possessions,” Gottlieb said. “We have so many playmakers and so many people with varying skill sets, we talk about just making the right basketball play.”

Watkins wasn’t the only Trojan who showed out, as redshirt sophomore guard Taylor Bigby provided a spark coming off the bench. Bigby tallied 10 points, three rebounds and three assists. However, Bigby’s biggest impact wasn’t in the stat sheet; it was her confidence on offense.

“That’s what we practice. We always share the ball,” Bigby said. “I think even when it just comes to teammate-to-teammate we encourage each other to keep shooting the ball.”

The Trojans kept the momentum rolling in the second half, holding Le Moyne to 22 points on 31% shooting. Meanwhile, USC’s offense never missed a beat, scoring 30 points in the third quarter alone, allowing the team to cruise to a 51-point victory.

USC’s hot start earned the team the No. 1o ranking in the country, the highest the team has been placed since 1994. With the momentum the Trojans have built in just one week, Gottlieb acknowledged that USC will have to venture down the long road ahead to keep climbing.

“It gets a lot harder; college basketball season’s a long winding road,” Gottlieb said. “It’s reminding them to just … enjoy each step along the way [and] don’t look too far ahead. Just focus on what’s next.”

For Gottlieb, seeing the work the program has built come to fruition has been gratifying.

“It’s what this program deserves, it’s what these players deserve and I’m not going to rest until we get the right people in the right atmosphere,” Gottlieb said. “Good things are happening, but it’s only the beginning.”

USC will travel to Nassau, Bahamas, to face Seton Hall Nov. 20 at 6 p.m. in the Baha Mar Pink Flamingo Championship.