ended

FOOTBALL — 2023-24

USC vs. UCLA — live updates

Last updated: 3:59 p.m.
USC Football Live Scores

Scoring plays

Win probability

📌 PINNED
    Thomas Johnson & Leila MacKenzie from Los Angeles, CA.; photos by Jordan Renville & Brooks Taylor

A crosstown showdown for the ages.

It’s that time of the year again; Hecuba and Tommy tightly wrapped and guarded, the “FUCLA” slogan slowly popping up on t-shirts and social media captions. No matter the highs and devastating lows of the season so far, this game is one to watch.

We’re reporting live from Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Refresh to see new updates.

What to know:

• USC and UCLA are renewing their rivalry for the 91st time.
    • ESPN has the Trojans favored to win at 75.2%.
    4:11 p.m.

The Trojans lose to UCLA 38-20. Caleb Williams threw for 384 yards, but it was not enough to beat UCLA as turnovers were USC’s undoing.

3:59 p.m.

On the very next play, Austin Jones scores a touchdown. Bruins still lead 38-20 with 3:52 left in the game.

3:58 p.m.

Trojans go for it on 4th & 14 because, why not? Caleb Williams finds Tahj Washington to convert and USC is in the red zone.

The Coliseum is pretty much empty at this point, and few people will be able to watch Caleb Williams walk off his home field, likely for the last time in a Trojan uniform.

3:44 p.m.

That’s likely the nail in the coffin as Hudson Habermehl scores his second touchdown of the game to put the Bruins up 38-13 with 9:06 left in the game. Many fans have started to exit the Coliseum.

3:34 p.m.

And if it couldn’t get any worse, the Trojans cannot convert on fourth down and the Bruins will get the ball back at USC’s 38-yard line.

3:30 p.m.

That is the end of the third quarter and it is looking bleak for the Trojans. UCLA leads 31-13 with one quarter to play, as the Bruins outscored the Trojans 14-3 in the third frame. USC will start out the final quarter with the ball.

3:25 p.m.

The Bruins punch back with a field goal of their own, as Blake Glessner knocks it through the uprights to give UCLA a 31-13 lead. With just over 16 minutes left in the game, every point matters and the Trojans will need to tighten up in all facets of the game if they have any hope of winning, which is looking more and more unlikely.

3:16 p.m.

Caleb Williams gets sacked on back-to-back plays and USC will have to settle for a field goal. Lynch knocks it through the uprights to bring it back to a two-possession game as the Bruins lead 28-13 with 3:51 left in the third quarter.

3:14 p.m.

Caleb Williams finds Brenden Rice on 4th & 7, a necessary conversion for a team down by three possessions. Trojans will be in the red zone.

3:08 p.m.

MarShawn Lloyd tries to make one too many cutbacks and the ball pops free, allowing the Bruins to recover it for the scoop-and-score. The Bruins now lead 28-10 with 9:29 left in the third quarter.

3:01 p.m.

Ethan Garbers rolls to his right and finds T.J. Harden for the UCLA touchdown to extend its lead to 21-10.

The Bruins were 5-for-5 on third-down conversions in that offensive series. USC’s defense is forcing UCLA to run a lot of plays, but could not capitalize and make the last stop.

2:28 p.m.

Ethan Garbers kneels it down to close out the first half, with the Bruins leading 14-10.

The Trojans have outgained the Bruins on offense, 270 yards to 170. But UCLA leads because it has had much better field position throughout the half and USC could not capitalize on its red zone opportunities. USC’s best starting field position was at its own 32-yard line and UCLA had four drives that started out better than that.

2:22 p.m.

Denis Lynch redeems himself by knocking a field goal through the uprights. There’s just two seconds remaining in the half and the Trojans will likely head into halftime down 14-10 to their rivals, unless something crazy happens during the ensuing kickoff.

2:13 p.m.

Solomon Byrd strip sacks Ethan Garbers, but UCLA recovers. It is fourth down though, and the Bruins will punt with 57 seconds remaining in the half.

2:08 p.m.

Despite having a first down at the UCLA 6-yard line, the Trojans can not score a touchdown and have to settle for a field-goal attempt, but Denis Lynch pushed it wide right and the score remains 14-7 as the Bruins will get the ball back with 1:37 left in the quarter, already leading.

2:03 p.m.

Bruins try an all-out blitz, but Caleb Williams finds MarShawn Lloyd on the check down and Lloyd does the rest, getting the ball to the UCLA 24-yard line after a 31-yard scamper.

1:56 p.m.

USC cannot capitalize on the missed field goal, and will have to punt. After the punt, which sets UCLA’s offense up at its 34-yard line, a little scrum breaks out. Rivalry game getting feisty.

1:50 p.m.

The Trojans force a field-goal attempt from UCLA and the Bruins hit the right upright to keep the score at 14-7. Bear Alexander recorded a sack on second down to help slow down UCLA.

1:45 p.m.

The Bruins have a 1st & 10 just a yard out of the red zone after T.J. Harden found plenty of open space for a 19-yard rush.

The USC defense has been hot-and-cold this drive, making multiple TFLs, but then giving up three plays of 10 yards or more.

1:35 p.m.

Caleb Williams. Moving up in the pocket. Throws a dot. To Brenden Rice. For the Touchdown.

The Trojans finally strike, and it’s a one-score game. UCLA still leads 14-7.

1:27 p.m.

That is the end of the first quarter and it could not have been a worse start for USC, as the Trojans are down 14-0. The Bruins had four offensive drives in the quarter and started in USC territory three of those drives. The silver lining? The Trojans trailed the Bruins by the same score in the Crosstown Showdown last year and ended up winning.

1:23 p.m.

The Trojans get a break and force a three-and-out. But UCLA has an amazing punt and the USC offense will have to start its next drive at its own 1-yard line.

1:21 p.m.

Mistake after mistake after mistake. Caleb Williams is intercepted and the Bruins will start in Trojan territory again.

1:17 p.m.

UCLA gets a wide-open touchdown. The Bruin offense was rolling to the left, but Hudson Habermehl leaks out to the right and Ethan Garbers finds him for a 14-yard score. UCLA leads 14-0 with 2:46 left in the quarter.

1:14 p.m.

The Trojans’ slow offensive start continues as Zachariah Branch gets stripped by the Bruin defense.

Costly mistake by the freshman gives the Bruins the ball back in the red zone, as UCLA leads 7-0 with 3:40 in the first quarter.

1:07 p.m.

Jack Sullivan, after getting honored for senior day earlier, comes up big and sacks Ethan Garbers to push UCLA out of field goal range. The Bruins punt to the USC 10-yard line. 

1:05 p.m.

It’s going to be a long day for the USC defense. The Bruins, on their second offensive series, have gone 46 yards in six plays and are nearing the Trojan red zone.

12:58 p.m.

USC will have to punt after a three-and-out on its second offensive drive. The Bruins will get the ball back, already up 7-0.

12:52 p.m.

Despite the lack of true offensive firepower for UCLA, the Bruins rip through the Trojan defense and breaks into the endzone off a 1-yard rush up the middle by running back T.J. Harden. The PAT is good.

12:47 p.m.

USC fails to convert on 4th-and-1 on its first drive, and UCLA will get to start its first offensive series in Trojan territory.

12:43 p.m.
    The Trojans will begin at their own 25-yard line after a touchback on the kick-off.
    12:40 p.m.

The coin has landed and UCLA wins the toss, but defers. The Bruins will kick off to the Trojans to begin the game.

USC’s student section is nicely filled as the game is about to get underway, but the rest of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum has a lot of empty seats.

12:11 p.m.

The battle for LA. The Crosstown Showdown. Whatever you want to call it, the rivalry game between USC and UCLA is only 30 minutes away. According to multiple reports, Ethan Garbers will start at quarterback for UCLA after a week’s worth of speculation as to which Bruin signal caller would make the start.