Women’s basketball aims to remain perfect 

The Trojans will take on San Diego in game two of a four-game homestand.

By STEFANO FENDRICH
Freshman guard Juju Watkins tallied her fourth 30-point game of the season on Tuesday, breaking the USC freshman record for 30-point games in a season. Watkins has scored in double digits in all six USC outings. (Louis Chen / Daily Trojan)

Even a bloody nose can’t stop freshman guard JuJu Watkins.

In the third quarter of her sixth career game, Watkins barreled into a California Polytechnic (2-5) defender and bumped heads. The freshman was visibly shaken up and headed to the locker room, leaving the game for a shade under five minutes.

After coming back, Watkins tallied 11 more points in just seven minutes to cap off her record fourth 30-point game as a freshman in No. 6 USC’s sixth straight win to open the year.

“Just a little collision, nothing much,” Watkins said, smiling after the game Tuesday. “I’m still intact.”

Watkins and the rest of the Trojans have been as dominant as can be in their first six games of the season and will look to continue the hot streak when they take on the familiar University of San Diego (3-4) at home Sunday.

Watkins has not missed a beat in her transition to the college game so far. Along with the 30-point outbreaks, her 26.8 points per game are the second most in the entire country. But what’s even more impressive is how efficient she is. Watkins is making over 50% of her shots from the field and 48% of her threes, shooting nearly 57% from three at Galen Center.

USC will have more of that home cooking for its next few games, as the team is in the midst of a four-game homestand. So far this season, the Trojans have won their three home games by an average of 36 points. USC has been dominant at home against non-conference opponents, having won the last 13 such games.

“As we continue to play good basketball, you feel the momentum growing,” said Head Coach Lindsay Gottlieb after Monday’s practice. “We’re playing at home, representing the city of Los Angeles, representing this campus … so we’re just really galvanized and energized by playing here.”

USC last took on the Toreros in non-conference play last season, coming out with a 58-50 road win. San Diego comes into the game having lost four of its last five games after starting the year 2-0. The Toreros are a stout defensive team, having forced 20 or more turnovers in four of their seven games.

“San Diego is always really tough defensively, really well coached,” Gottlieb said after practice Monday. “They’re gonna come in and battle, so we have to be ready to be a good version of ourselves.”

Gottlieb has instilled a defensive-minded brand of her own at USC after finishing top of the Pac-12 in scoring defense and top 15 in the entire country a season ago. The Trojans haven’t let up on that end of the court this year, allowing just 55.8 points per game and forcing over 18 turnovers.

But besides taking down No. 7 Ohio State (5-1), the Trojans haven’t faced anywhere near the caliber of opponents they’ll play come Pac-12 conference play. The Pac-12 is arguably one of the best conferences in the country, boasting five schools ranked in the top 15. USC is No. 6 in the country and is only the third-highest-ranked Pac-12 team.

“​​We’ve played a lot of great teams, but I don’t think anyone will really match up to the talent we’ll meet in the [Pac-12],” said graduate guard Kayla Padilla after practice Monday. “Being able to stay consistent will be our biggest hurdle as we approach these next few games.”

USC will look to keep up its Galen Center success when it takes on the University of San Diego Toreros on Sunday at 3 p.m.