MEN’S BASKETBALL — 2023-24

USC vs. Long Beach State — live updates

Last updated:

Scoring plays

Win probability

Game flow

Leaders

Points

Rebounds

Assists

📌 PINNED
    Stefano Fendrich & Thomas Johnson from Galen Center; photos by Jordan Renville

Freshman guard Bronny James is expected to make his collegiate debut today against Long Beach State.

James can give a boost to a Trojan team that has lost two of their last three games.

We’ll be reporting live from Galen Center. Refresh to see new updates.

3:40 p.m.

And that’s the game. The Trojans fell to Long Beach State 84-79. USC only made two field goals in the last 10:55 of the loss. Bronny’s debut is overshadowed by Long Beach State’s first win over the Trojans since 2013.

3:38 p.m.

It seems about all but over for USC. The Trojans trail 84-79 with only 7.3 seconds left in overtime. A miracle would have to happen for USC to pull this one out.

3:32 p.m.

It’s desperation hour for the Trojans, but they still have life. Long Beach State leads 80-79 with 31.8 seconds left in overtime. Isaiah Collier to the free throw line — 5-11 from the stripe — knocked down one of two.

3:22 p.m.

We have extra basketball at Galen. The Trojans couldn’t get a clean shot off at the end of regulation, as they allowed the Beach to claw back and force overtime. 

USC blew a 15-point halftime lead.

3:20 p.m.

Tie game. 74-74. Bronny made one free throw, but Marcus Tsohonis has been the guy for Long Beach State all day and he does it again as he hits a layup for his 22nd point of the game. Three seconds left.

3:17 p.m.

Boogie Ellis scores a clutch layup to take the lead back. After a defensive stop, Bronny James gets fouled in transition and he’s at the free-throw line with 21.5 seconds left in the game. 

James missed the first one, with one more to go as a timeout is called on the floor. USC is up 73-72.

3:13 p.m.

This is shaping up to be a wild finish. Neither team has made a field goal for nearly three minutes. It’s been a defensive stalemate with the Trojans up by two. Bronny is in right now for the crunch time minutes.

3:08 p.m.

Just over three minutes left and Bronny is back into the game with Rodman fouled out. USC is up by just two points.

3:00 p.m.

The Trojans finally have some offensive momentum and some stout defense — the Beach haven’t made a field goal in over four minutes. DJ Rodman and Boogie Ellis both hit 3-pointers to help give USC a 69-66 lead with 5:36 left in the game.

2:53 p.m.

Long Beach State is making this one interesting. The Beach have outscored the Trojans by 14 points this half, and USC’s lead is down to one point. 

Iwuchukwu continues to be a menace in the paint for USC, with six rebounds and 15 points to lead the Trojans in scoring. Will it be enough to get USC to the finish line with just over seven minutes left? The seven second-half turnovers definitely aren’t helping.

2:38 p.m.

The wait is over. Bronny’s first career points come on a transition 3-pointer and the crowd goes absolutely crazy. The Beach comes right back with a dagger from distance of their own, as the Trojans lead 56-49.

2:33 p.m.

Along with the USC scoring woes, the team already has five fouls so far, with over 14 minutes left in the half. Collier made a layup to score the first Trojan field goal of the half, but the Beach are creeping back. USC leads by just six now.

2:27 p.m.

The Trojans still lead 47-38, but have not scored a field goal in the second half. Just over four minutes have elapsed in the half and Long Beach State and USC have only combined for 10 points.

2:10 p.m.

The Trojans are out to warm up after the halftime break and Collier came out with the team. All signs indicate he will play in the second half despite missing the last part of the first half after taking a hard fall.

1:59 p.m.

And that’s the end of the first half. Trojans lead 45-30 at the break. Collier and Iwuchukwu lead all Trojan scorers, but Collier did not come back from the locker room after taking a hard fall. 

Bronny James played six of a possible 20 minutes that half, collecting a rebound, an assist and a block.

1:54 p.m.

Galen goes quiet as freshman guard Collier is slow to get up from the court. The star freshman is able to walk under his own power, with medical staff beside him, back to the bench.

1:50 p.m.

Iwuchukwu is the first Trojan to score double-digit points. The sophomore has been particularly effective near the rim, something USC has lacked so far this season. Trojans lead 41-26 with just over two minutes left in the half.

1:42 p.m.

Blocked by James!

LeBron-esque, Bronny comes down and blocks a shot.

And despite all of the hype surrounding Bronny’s debut, there’s still an entire basketball game going on. The Trojans lead 37-24 with 4:02 left in the first half.

1:24 p.m.

Bronny James is into the game. The anticipation of his first career points is in the air. James already has a rebound and has played well on the defensive end, with cheers every time he touches the ball. 

USC is currently on a 7-0 run to stretch its lead to nine.

1:16 p.m.

At the first media timeout, USC has made its presence known defensively. Trojans are leading 14-7 and have already forced three turnovers, scoring seven points off of them.

1:09 p.m.

Sophomore forward Vincent Iwuchukwu is making the most of his first start this season, with two early dunks as the Trojans and Beach are tied at 6-6 less than three minutes into the game.

1:06 p.m.

Your USC starting lineup:

G Isaiah Collier

F Vincent Iwuchukwu

F Harrison Hornery

G Kobe Johnson

G G Boogie Ellis

12:40 p.m.

USC men’s basketball is just 15 minutes from tip-off against Long Beach State, with freshman guard Bronny James expected to make his collegiate debut against the Beach. The student section is PACKED, along with two rows of courtside seats set up for the high-profile game.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.