On-campus entertainment to enjoy this month

The spring semester opens with plenty of art to enjoy, ranging from film to poetry.

By SAMMY BOVITZ
The School of Cinematic Arts will screen “The Last Repair Shop” as part of their self-described “Movie Hooky Club IMAX Marathon.” (Searchlight Pictures)

As the academic calendar flips to spring, it can be easy for students to forget just how much USC still has to offer to entertain and enrich their lives. To start, here’s a selection of entertainment that should keep students energized during the first few weeks of classes.

Get artistic inspiration from an expert

The Roski School of Art and Design has held its illuminating “Roski Talks” lecture series for more than 15 years now, and the lineup of free events for this semester kicks off Jan. 16 with a visit from artist and educator William Camargo. When he’s not delivering lectures at UC San Diego or California State University, Fullerton, Camargo creates his photography-based art in order to bluntly comment on social issues such as gentrification and police brutality.

Camargo’s work has been displayed in locations ranging from the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to Harvard University’s Cooper Gallery of African and African American Art. Though Camargo’s body of work may be impressive, the talk will maintain the low-pressure environment of the lecture series, where audience participation is common and group discussions or Q&A sessions follow each presentation. Students and the public can enjoy the talk at the Roski Graduate Building in Los Angeles’ Arts District.

Embark on an all-day movie marathon

Students should check their schedule closely on Jan. 16, because the School of Cinematic Arts will screen a whopping five films, all for free. The day begins at the Zemeckis Center for the Digital Arts with a 9 a.m. screening of “The Sky Is Falling” (1975). The film, directed by director Silvio Narizzano, is a darkly comedic thriller set in a small Spanish village. Immediately afterward, an 11 a.m. screening of the action film “The Dragon Lives Again” (1977) features the spirit of Bruce Lee played by “Bruce” Leung Siu-Lung.Want a lunch break? Too bad. Supernatural tale “The Haunting of Julia” (1977) plays at 1 p.m., followed by “The Happiness of the Katakuris” (2001) at 3 p.m., which the School of Cinematic Arts curiously describes as “‘The Sound of Music’ meets ‘Dawn Of The Dead.’”

Finally, the action moves to Norris Cinema Theatre, which will show “The Last Repair Shop” (2023) at 7 p.m., followed by a Q&A with the documentary’s Oscar-nominated co-directors. “The Last Repair Shop” is a short documentary focusing on a small team in L.A. who take care of more than 80,000 student musical instruments.

Attend a massive celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday

The product of a collaboration between professor of music Ronald McCurdy and professor of theatre practice Anita Dashiell-Sparks, arts collective Visions and Voices will present a slightly belated celebration of Dr. King’s birthday, titled “Nobody Knows: Un(Muted Voices).” The slate of carefully curated student performances includes music, dance, video and poetry, and will be held in the School of Dramatic Arts’ Bing Theatre.

Naturally, the student performers have pretty impressive mentors to learn from before they step on stage. Dashiell-Sparks has acted on Broadway opposite Matthew Broderick, and McCurdy has worked as director for the National Grammy Vocal Jazz Ensemble. The event will give a spotlight to marginalized communities — those now-unmuted voices — with the same spirit and dedication as the man whose birthday it honors. “Nobody Knows: (Un)Muted Voices” kicks off at 7 p.m. on Jan. 19.

Spend a Night at the (GRAMMY) Museum

The “Late Night ‘SC” program, an event series operated by USC’s Campus Activities department, offers a wide range of events to ring in the spring semester, which includes their trip Jan. 20 to the GRAMMY Museum in Downtown L.A. The museum closes to the public at 6 p.m. that day, but students are exclusively offered the chance to explore the music museum’s third and fourth floors starting at 7 p.m. While students are unable to access the second floor’s temporary exhibits, the two open floors are packed with interactive exhibits and L.A.’s first gallery dedicated wholly to Latin music.

Students will get a full three hours to enjoy most of what the museum has to offer, though the GRAMMY Museum also has a lengthy event calendar packed full of workshops and the occasional surprise artist showcase — Olivia Rodrigo visited for an intimate event last fall to promote her album “GUTS.” But this initial visit to the Museum should be a good start for USC music fans.

Learn “The Importance of Being Earnest”

The School of Dramatic Arts will open its semester with Oscar Wilde’s 1895 play “The Importance of Being Earnest.” The writer behind “The Picture of Dorian Gray” also penned this chaotic satire starring two bachelors and their quest for true love. SDA faculty member Finola Hughes, best known for her performances in “General Hospital” and in the musical “Cats,” helms this production.

Unlike a typical SDA production, this play won’t be performed in the school’s flagship Bing Theatre. Instead, the action will take place at Boston Court Pasadena. The venue specializes in innovation in plays both old and new, the perfect venue for a collegiate take on a play that will turn 129 this year.  Performances of “The Importance of Being Earnest” begin Jan. 26 at 7:30 p.m. and continue daily through Jan. 30, including matinees that Saturday and Sunday.