Senior A&E staff on the Emmys

The 75th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony will be held Monday at the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles.

By DAILY TROJAN ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT SENIOR STAFF
(Nina Tomasevic / Daily Trojan)

In anticipation of the 75th Primetime Emmy Awards Monday, the Daily Trojan’s senior Arts & Entertainment staff voted on some of the ceremony’s top categories. Following the Golden Globes, HBO’s “Succession” and FX’s “The Bear” are the undeniable frontrunners in the “Outstanding Drama Series” and “Outstanding Comedy Series” categories, respectively.

With such fierce competition, it’s impossible to truly predict the outcome of the award show. However, we’ve chosen our favorites to win.

Outstanding Drama Series — “Succession”

(HBO)

It would be a straight sacrilege to deny “Succession” its Emmy. After a strong four-season run, the show finally concluded with a bang last year, leaving a cluster of emotional carnage in its wake. The grip “Succession” had on the cultural zeitgeist was undeniable: From the babygirl-ification of Kendall Roy (Jeremy Strong) on X, formerly known as Twitter, to the “old money” fashion trends that cropped up around the show’s release, “Succession” was truly a movement.

The writing, characters, plot and cinematography of “Succession” are on a different level. Sure, the other contenders for Outstanding Drama Series, such as “The Last of Us” and “Better Call Saul” are certainly impressive pieces, but none can even hope to touch the wicked genius of “Succession.”

The wit, drama and intelligence of “Succession” are unreplicable, and it’d be a crime for the Emmys not to recognize that.

– Aubrie Cole, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Outstanding Comedy Series — “The Bear”

(Hulu)

Though the Emmys have classified “The Bear” as simply a comedy series, it is anything but. Sure, Jeremy Allen White and Ayo Edebiri — along with the stacked supporting cast — bring a plethora of laughs to the screen, but they also showcase their impressive dramatic acting chops in this show about family, grief and love.

Each episode of “The Bear” is an immaculate, hearty meal in and of itself, so the numerous delicious dishes shown in the series are simply a bonus. The show truly seems to pay tribute to chefs and their raw love for their craft; it’s clear that those who worked on the show did their research and respect those they get to portray on screen.

“The Bear” has served the Emmys with an unforgettable experience, so it’s only appropriate that the show is honored with a win.

Outstanding Lead  Actor in a Drama Series — Jeremy Strong

(HBO)

As acting assignments go, Kendall Roy is a tough task, but Jeremy Strong delivered arguably his best performance yet in the final season of “Succession.” Equal parts tragic hero, cold-blooded executive and bumbling idiot, Strong’s long-controversial acting approach continued to pay off despite an incredibly demanding season for his character.

The 2020 Emmy winner does have a fair number of formidable challengers, the most notable of whom are his “Succession” co-star Kieran Culkin and the frequently overlooked Bob Odenkirk. However, what might push Strong over the edge is the episode HBO submitted for consideration — the series finale, “With Open Eyes.” The episode begins and ends with Kendall Roy, and Strong’s devastating performance over the 90 minutes in between turn an already electric script into possibly one of the most thrilling television performances this decade.

The Emmys love “Succession,” and Jeremy Strong is its defining lead — a perfect fit for this year’s award.

– Sammy Bovitz, Assistant A&E Editor

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series — Sarah Snook

(HBO)

On a show like “Succession,” it’s hard to identify standouts. From the impeccable writing to a note-perfect score all the way to career-best performances from every single member of the cast, it’s almost impossible to pinpoint one reason why the show clicks the way it does. In season four, though, the final season of the Emmy-winning series, Sarah Snook as Siobhan “Shiv” Roy creates a sickening, power-hungry woman who somehow manages to invoke incredible empathy from the audience.

While Bella Ramsey’s portrayal of Ellie in “The Last Of Us,” Keri Russell as a no-nonsense politician in “The Diplomat” and fan-favorite Melanie Lynskey in “Yellowjackets” are all strong contenders for this award, Snook’s depiction of impending motherhood and the fear associated with it is absolutely spectacular.

“Succession” had a perfectly executed finale that would not have clicked without Sarah Snook’s compelling and nuanced performance, and this is likely to be her year.

– Sanya Verma, Online Editor

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series — Bill Hader

(HBO)

With the conclusion of “Barry,” Bill Hader has a chance to win his third Outstanding Lead Actor Emmy for his role as the titular Barry Berkman.

“Barry” is a show about bad people, and Berkman is no exception. Berkman is undeniably a villain, but Hader brings a vulnerability to the character to make him a character the audience still cares about. Hader’s nominated performance comes from “you’re charming,” a classically surreal episode of “Barry” grounded by Hader’s masterful and complicated performance.

The race is incredibly tight this year. Jason Sudeikis is up for his third Outstanding Lead Actor Emmy for Ted Lasso — winning both previous nominations — and Jeremy Allen White is coming to the Emmys after a big win at the Golden Globes. Hader’s vulnerable performance in the HBO show’s final season just surpasses its competition. 

– Kimberly Aguirre, Associate Managing Editor

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series — Natasha Lyonne

(Peacock)

Rian Johnson’s “Poker Face” is a blast. It’s funny and heartwarming, caustic and deeply earnest, and at the heart of it is Natasha Lyonne as human lie detector and accidental detective Charlie Cale. Lyonne carries the Peacock show with the utmost ease and is as much a pleasure to watch on-screen as she was in Emmy-winning “Russian Doll.” In a show with a variety of great performances from guest stars including Adrien Brody, Stephanie Hsu, Charles Melton and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Lyonne is the clear standout.

This category of the Emmys always has some stiff competition, and this is true even this year, with a race that could be neck and neck for Lyonne and the delightfully charming Quinta Brunson as Janine Teagues in the second season of “Abbott Elementary.” Given how terrific Lyonne is in “Poker Face,” though, she may very well emerge as a dark horse and come out on top.

– Sanya Verma, Online Editor

Outstanding Miniseries — “Beef”

(Netflix)

This deliciously dark comedy stars Ali Wong and Steven Yeun as Amy Lau and Danny Cho, two Korean American Angelenos whose brief road rage incident spirals into an insane study on class, race and, ultimately, revenge. Creator Lee Sung Jin crafts a reckless narrative full of heart that audiences can relate to and laugh at despite the drama getting increasingly sickening and unbelievable with each episode.

Amy and Danny’s petty feud is fertile ground for incredible acting, and the breadth of Wong and Yeun’s performances is top-notch. Throughout the limited series, the two are jerks; they’re reserved yet fuming inside; they smile at each other with malice and pain. Amy concocts a complex catfishing scheme to lure in Danny’s brother. Danny pisses on the walls of Amy’s guest bathroom. The “beef” between their characters is raw — it reveals intergenerational trauma, existential dread and a deep, clawing need for human connection.

The show is thrilling and empathetic, insane and grounded. In short, “Beef” proves just how unlimited a “limited series” can be, making it the perfect choice for an Emmy.

– Alia Yee Noll, Arts & Entertainment Editor