WOMEN’S BASKETBALL — 2023-24

USC vs. UCLA — as it happened

Last updated: 4:22 p.m.

Scoring plays

Win probability

Game flow

Leaders

Points

Rebounds

Assists

• Ethan Thai / Daily Trojan
    4:22 p.m.

TROJANS WIN. TROJANS WIN.

USC upsets the No. 2 UCLA Bruins in epic fashion, taking down its rival 73-65. The Trojans avenge their only loss of the season in front of a sellout crowd.

4:19 p.m.

The Bruins continue to foul to preserve the ever-diminishing clock. USC leads 71-65 after Taylor Bigby knocks down one of the two free throws. Only 10.1 seconds remain in this one.

4:13 p.m.

UCLA has been full-court pressing for most of the second half; let’s see if the Trojans can figure it out with 49.7 seconds left in the game. USC is forced to take a timeout as it couldn’t find an open pass off the baseline. The Trojans lead 67-63.

4:06 p.m.

One minute left. Lead down to five for USC. Scuffle nearly breaks out on the court. This is what rivalry basketball is all about.

4:01 p.m.

With 2:39 left in the game, the Trojans call a timeout as they’re winning 63-56. But the Bruins are the No. 2 team in the country for a reason; this one won’t be over until it’s over. Buckle up.

3:54 p.m.

Galen Center is ELECTRIFIED after back-to-back USC 3-pointers from McKenzie Forbes and Kayla Padilla. The Trojans lead 63-50 with 4:38 left in the game.

3:50 p.m.

Both teams seem to be upset with the number of fouls called in this game. A Bruin has already been sent off. An additional five Bruins have three or more fouls, while four Trojans have three or more fouls.

3:40 p.m.

The Trojans lead through three frames 51-42, but the game is still in striking distance for the Bruins. USC will have to find more offensive production outside of JuJu Watkins, who scored 10 of the team’s 17 points in the quarter. 10 minutes left in a game that seems like it will end up as an instant classic.

3:28 p.m.

Both teams are in the bonus with 3:55 left in the third quarter, meaning this frame will take a long time to finish. Trojans lead 43-33.

3:23 p.m.

The Bruins are keeping it close in the third quarter, trimming the Trojans’ lead to 10 points. USC has only scored six points in the third quarter to UCLA’s 11, while turning the ball over three times and committing five fouls.

2:52 p.m.

USC could not have had a better start against the No. 2 team in the country. The Trojans lead 34-19 at halftime and have played well in all facets of the game. 

JuJu Watkins, despite only being a freshman, is obviously not scared of the Bruin defense, driving through defenders into the paint and finishing with ease. She finishes the half with a team-leading 16 points.

The Bruins, despite strong spurts of play, have been sloppy, with 15 turnovers and 12 personal fouls through the first half.

2:42 p.m.

The Trojans are on an 11-0 run to get their lead up to 12 points. USC leads 28-16 with less than three minutes in the half. Galen Center is going crazy every time the Trojans hit nylon.

2:32 p.m.

And here come the Bruins. USC is forced to call a timeout as UCLA has already scored eight points in the second quarter to trim the Trojans’ lead to one point. USC leads 17-16.

2:27 p.m.

At the end of the first quarter, the Trojans lead the Bruins 15-8. McKenzie Forbes hit two 3-pointers in the last two minutes of the quarter to spur the USC offense. Overall, dismal offense from both teams though, going 7-for-30 from the field in the opening frame.

2:18 p.m.

At the first media timeout of the game, the Trojans and Bruins are tied at 6-6. Both teams were sloppy on offense at the start, but have started to heat up. The teams are a combined 4-for-14 from the field.

1:55 p.m.

Starting lineup for the Trojans:

G JuJu Watkins

G Taylor Bigby

G McKenzie Forbes

G Kayla Padilla

C Clarice Akunwafo

Notably, no Rayah Marshall for USC, as she was ruled out with an illness. The Trojans will be without their leading rebounder this afternoon.

1:26 p.m.

Tip-off between the No. 9 USC Trojans (12-1, 2-1 Pac-12) and the No. 2 UCLA Bruins (14-0, 3-0) is a mere 30 minutes away. USC’s only loss of the season thus far came at the hands of UCLA Dec. 30 at Pauley Pavilion. 

Read Kasey Kazliner’s preview to prepare for the matchup.

Some news and notes on the matchup:

• The Bruins are on a nine-game winning streak against the Trojans, with their last loss to USC being on Jan. 17, 2020.
    • USC has won 16 straight games at Galen Center.
    • The Trojans are one of five Pac-12 teams ranked in the most recent Associated Press Top 25 Poll. They are one of four Pac-12 teams in the top 10 of those rankings.
    • The Bruins received one vote to be ranked as the No. 1 team in the country — only one of two teams to receive a No. 1 vote in the most recent AP Poll — but it was not even close to enough votes to dethrone South Carolina’s (15-0, 3-0 SEC) spot atop the AP Poll, with the Gamecocks garnering 34 No. 1 votes.