CVS Pharmacy at USC Village to close

A CVS employee confirmed the closure to the Daily Trojan and to customers, but gave no specific date for the closure besides that it would take place in February.

By JENNIFER NEHRER & JONATHAN PARK
Prescriptions will be transferred to nearby CVS locations “to ensure patients have uninterrupted access to pharmacy care,” a company spokesperson wrote to media outlets in a statement. (Jonathan Park / Daily Trojan)

The CVS Pharmacy within the Target at USC Village will be permanently closing next month, an employee confirmed to the Daily Trojan. Though no formal announcement has been made at the time of publication, customers are being informed of the closure as they pick up their prescriptions.  

The closure comes amid reports of the company closing dozens of locations within Target stores across the country in the next few months. The employee did not give the Daily Trojan a specific date for the closure and deferred further comment to the store’s management, which was not available. Management for the USC Village Target, which houses the pharmacy, also did not comment.

CVS did not respond to multiple requests for comment by the Daily Trojan but wrote in statements to other media outlets that the closures are “part of our plan to realign our national retail footprint and reduce store and pharmacy density and are based on our evaluation of changes in population, consumer buying patterns and future health needs to ensure we have the right pharmacy format in the right locations for patients.” 

The drugstore chain warned investors in late 2023 that various increasing expenses were likely to hurt profits over the next few years. Last year, CVS restructured and cut 5,000 jobs. 

The closures are scheduled to begin in February and will end in April. CVS owns pharmacies in roughly 1,800 of Target’s 1,956 locations after purchasing Target’s pharmacy business in 2015 for nearly $2 billion. CVS declined to say how many pharmacies will close.

Impacted employees will be offered comparable roles at other CVS locations, and prescriptions will be transferred to nearby CVS locations “to ensure patients have uninterrupted access to pharmacy care,” the statement read. The nearest location to USC Village is on the first floor of University Gateway, on Figueroa Street.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.