Exciting upcoming flicks to look for this spring

We’ve compiled a list of movies that should be on your radar this semester.

By REO
Argylle follows a writer of thriller novels who suddenly gets pulled into a thriller herself, where she encounters various spies played by the likes of (from left) Henry Cavill, Dua Lipa, and John Cena. The film comes from “Kingsman” director Matthew Vaughn.  (Apple TV+)

Staying up-to-date on movies is hard. New movies are dropping every week, and finding time to watch them all seems impossible given the endless stream of assignments, tests and other trivial nonsense. Here are some of the top upcoming movies to help you better plan your theater trips this semester. 

Whether you’re a film student who’s in need of a regimented “study” schedule or a STEM major with a “have more fun” New Year’s resolution, this list has you covered. Read on to see some of the most impactful films set to be released between now and the start of April.

Argylle

“From the twisted mind of Matthew Vaughn” — as the trailers say — comes funky haircuts, espionage and a gray furball. The “Kingsman” director’s new project is set to be just as star-studded and stylish as his previous work, with an added busyness that could or could not pan out in his favor.

“Argylle” follows Elly Conway (Bryce Dallas Howard) as she tries to come up with an ending to her spy thriller novel, only to be dragged into a spy thriller herself — her and her cat, that is. With a twist on the titular character teased, the story is sure to get even wackier from there. The layered plot is supplemented by stars such as Henry Cavill, Dua Lipa, John Cena, Samuel L. Jackson and Bryan Cranston. 

On top of Vaughn’s traditional antics, the film’s marketing team has been in overdrive for months, going so far as to release Conway’s book last March. Conway being, in this instance, not Bryce Dallas Howard (probably), but instead, a mysterious ghostwriter. Theories on the writer’s identity have ranged from a fictional Australian soap opera character to the queen of pop herself, Taylor Swift. This mystery, among others, may be made more clear when “Argylle” comes to theaters Feb. 2.

Madame Web

Oh, Sony. It may have taken the company almost six years, but its “Spider-Man Universe” is finally being populated with some Spider-People. After a rather disappointing performance from Sony’s previous outing, “Morbius” (2022), Sony is in need of a win. Granted, this seems to be a step in the right direction.

Dakota Johnson leads “Madame Web” as Cassandra Webb, a soon-to-be clairvoyant assembling a team of Spider-Women: Julia Carpenter (Sydney Sweeney), Anya Corazon (Isabela Merced) and Mary Parker (Emma Roberts). All the while, the four are being pursued by a mysterious Spider-Baddie played by Tahar Rahim. Arachnophobes beware.

In terms of the grander Spider-Picture, Madame Web has been used many times in the comics to connect Spider-People throughout the multiverse. A future event similar to “Spider-Man: No Way Home” (2021) could lend the impetus of its plot to the titular character of “Madame Web,” so best to keep all eight eyes trained on this film Feb. 14.

Dune: Part Two

Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming sci-fi epic adaptation will close out the first book of Frank Herbert’s “Dune” franchise. The new installment is certain to bring more large-scale battles, more sand and more than fifteen minutes of screentime for Zendaya.

Once again led by Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides, “Dune: Part Two” will also onboard Florence Pugh as the regal Princess Irulan Corrino and Austin Butler as the grotesque Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen. The film will pick up where the first left off and lead into Atreides’ trials, sure to be the type of spectacle that Villeneuve specializes in.

Although the movie is certain to change a few details and plot points from the book — rest in peace to the last movie’s absent dinner scene — any fans of the franchise should keep an eye out for the end of “Dune” on March 1.

Kung Fu Panda 4

After a brief eight-year hiatus, Po returns to the big screen. He became Dragon Warrior, reconnected with his past and now Po (Jack Black) is settling down to lead the Valley of Peace, but first, he must recruit a new Dragon Warrior to take his place. Along the way, he will meet many new faces (and quite a few old ones, too).

Some returning voices include Dustin Hoffman as Master Shifu; James Hong as Mr. Ping, Po’s adoptive father; Bryan Cranston as Li Shan, Po’s biological father; and Ian McShane as Tai Lung — Po’s very first nemesis, back from the spirit realm to do battle once more. New additions include Awkwafina as Zhen, Po’s newest sidekick; Ke Huy Quan as Han, a leader of a den of thieves; and Viola Davis as Chameleon, the overarching villain of the adventure.

The rest of the Furious Five are also confirmed to be returning, though the capacity of their roles is yet to be determined. See them and more when “Kung Fu Panda 4” releases March 8, just in time for spring break.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

The Ghostbusters are answering once more. The 2021 requel — or reboot sequel — “Ghostbusters: Afterlife,” fittingly, brought the franchise back to life; “Frozen Empire” is seeking to get back to the franchise’s roots.

Heading back to the old busting grounds of New York City, the new Ghostbusters crew — headlined by Gary Grooberson (Paul Rudd) and Phoebe Spengler (Mckenna Grace) — will meet up with the originals to fight a new supernatural threat. This time, they won’t be facing off against a giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, but instead, something much more nefarious: cold weather. 

With the all-star talent of the original and the new blood from “Afterlife,” “Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire” is shaping up to be a family favorite when it drops March 22.

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

At the end of March, we come to the final movie on our radar: “Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire.” Godzilla’s latest outing comes only four months after the kaiju’s prequel, “Godzilla Minus One” (2023), the highest-rated film in the Monsterverse thus far.

The upcoming entry chronologically follows “Godzilla vs. Kong” (2021), though this time, the two Titans seem to be fighting together through and through. Though many plot details remain under wraps, it seems that Godzilla and Kong will be taking on a threat from inside Hollow Earth seeking to overthrow their authority. All the while, Kong will also have to balance his responsibilities as a new father of this mysterious Baby Kong. 

Catch all of this drama and destruction in theaters March 29.

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.