Three decades of legendary albums

As 2024 rolls around, let’s look back on the past 30 years of influential music.

By NICK VIRNICH
Artists like Nirvana and Jeff Buckley released impressive albums that are turning 30 in 2024. (Mick Haupt/ Unsplash)

Since we’ve entered the new year, it’s the perfect occasion to look back at some of the amazing music released in the 20th century for each decade. Let’s rewind 30 years back to 1994 and take a look at five of the best and most important albums from that year.

“MTV Unplugged In New York” by Nirvana

Not only is this live album from Nirvana one of the best albums of 1994, it may be one of the greatest live albums of all time. “MTV Unplugged” was launched in 1989, and it was created with the purpose of broadcasting intimate live performances of notable artists of the time. The show presented artists playing acoustic or “unplugged” sets.

Hearing Nirvana’s classic songs live, such as “About a Girl,” “Polly” and “All Apologies,” reflected how far the band had come. The live performance was the perfect opportunity for the band to showcase their wide array of musical influences, such as David Bowie’s “The Man Who Sold the World,” The Vaselines’ “Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam” and Lead Belly’s “Where Did You Sleep Last Night.”

The cello playing from Lori Goldston is another defining feature of this live album, especially on an emotional song like “Something In The Way.” Nirvana’s “MTV Unplugged In New York” is just behind Eric Clapton’s 1992 “Unplugged” for being the best selling “MTV Unplugged” album of all time.

“Grace” by Jeff Buckley

While Jeff Buckley’s first and only studio LP released during his lifetime initially received mixed reviews, it has been gaining more recognition and appreciation for being one of the best albums of the ’90s. The songs on the album showcase Buckley’s impressive vocal range and virtuosic guitar skills.

From the haunting and emotional vocals on songs like “Grace” and the classic cover of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” to the beautiful tonalities of his guitar playing in songs like “The Last Goodbye,” “So Real” and his cover of James Shelton’s “Lilac Wine,” Jeff Buckley was able to demonstrate his unique musical capabilities. While there have been various posthumous releases, “Grace” was Buckley’s only album to ever come out before his untimely passing in 1997.

In the following years, his music has continued to inspire many artists, such as Radiohead, Lana Del Rey, Coldplay, Adele and Muse.

“Dookie” by Green Day

Not only was Green Day’s “Dookie” one of the best-selling albums of the year, it reimagined punk rock as melodic and upbeat, a departure from the general public opinion. Love or hate Billie Joe Armstrong’s whiny vocals, there is no denying that he has always maintained a strong talent for writing moving lyrics along with the energetic attitude of his guitar playing.

The hypnotizing and memorable bass lines from Mike Dirnt on songs like “Longview” and “She” along with the explosive drumming from Tre Cool on a signature song like “Burnout,” have stood the test of time. While the band doesn’t offer the versatility of older punk bands like The Clash, it was  heavily inspired by the simple yet catchy and energetic hooks of bands like the Ramones, and even older pop rock bands like The Beatles and The Who.

The group grabbed the attention of an entire generation through their loud amps and emotional and melodic songs about being a young punk and misfit to society.

“Illmatic” by Nas

Nas’ “Illmatic” illustrates the life of a young Queens native growing up in urban decay and trying to make it out of gang life. The album contains strong personal narratives of Nas’ upbringing as an inner-city Queens native living in the infamous Queensbridge Houses, a public housing complex where other notable hip-hop artists like Mobb Deep were brought up.

The album features the work of significant New York City producers from the likes of Pete Rock, Large Professor and DJ Premier. The producers were able to incorporate a unique array of samples from Michael Jackson’s “Human Nature” — sampled on “It Ain’t Hard to Tell” — to the Ahmad Jamal Trio’s “I Love Music” — sampled in “The World Is Yours.” Songs like “Life’s a Bitch” and “Represent” are now remembered as hip-hop anthems that move listeners in a captivating manner.

In our modern day where a lot of rap lyrics gravitate towards discussing one’s achievements and living a lavish lifestyle, Nas’ debut album “Illmatic” stands out as a piece of hip-hop that comes straight from the heart and soul of living through various struggles and addressing social issues like poverty and police violence.

“Dummy” by Portishead

Portishead’s debut studio album often falls under the category of trip hop, which is a genre originating from the U.K. and combines elements of hip-hop and electronic production. While this album definitely incorporates those kinds of sounds, it also has its own unique, somber and melancholic attitude.

Lead singer Beth Gibbons makes the album’s complex instrumentals come to life with her beautiful and soft yet dark and haunting vocals. Many have likely shared some intimacy while listening to their most famous song “Glory Box,” which is driven by Adrian Utley’s bluesy guitar and alluring vocals from Gibbons.

The song “Sour Times” features a sample of a guitar melody featured from the “Mission: Impossible” TV series and evokes the strange nature of old English spy films. As the name suggests, “Mysterons” also features a mysterious theremin-esque melody that you would maybe hear in an old horror movie. If there’s an album you should listen to after a long day when you need to unwind, this is the one.