Our bodily autonomy is on the ballot

This presidential election may determine the future of reproductive freedom.

By EMILY PHALLY
Abortion is no longer a federally protected right since the Dobbs v. Jackson Supreme Court decision in 2022. Many states have restricted access to abortion in the years since, despite widespread protests for bodily autonomy. (Gayatri Malhotra / Unsplash)

Content warning: This article contains mentions of rape and sexual assault.

With the recent 51st anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the historic ruling making abortion a constitutional right, the 2024 presidential election holds profound significance for me as a young woman of color and first-time voter.

Abortion is the key issue controlling the 2024 presidential campaign. On Roe v. Wade’s anniversary, the Biden administration declared its efforts to restore reproductive freedom through new, proposed initiatives for contraception and abortion access. Vice President Kamala Harris’ comments in Wisconsin this Monday underscored the political battleground of reproductive freedom post-Roe. She criticized former President Donald Trump for his role in reshaping the Supreme Court, linking it directly to the reversal of Roe v. Wade through Dobbs v. Jackson in 2022.

The current conversation around reproductive rights compared to the 1960s and 1970s was less centered around political affiliation, with supporters and opponents found across the political spectrum. Now, it has become deeply entangled with political identity, often delineating the lines between liberal and conservative ideologies. This shift has caused reproductive rights to become a central issue in political campaigns, with policies and judicial appointments often swayed by an individual’s stance on this singular issue.

Such political influences are evident in online campaigns and discussions, where party ideologies often color the narratives. The 2024 Republican candidates express an anti-abortion stance in their campaign at a minimum and often plan to support a federal ban, though with exceptions for rape, incest or saving the life of a mother. 

This political polarization has added a new dimension to activism, where the new generation of activists navigate the battleground of political alliances and oppositions. 

According to AdImpact, a media tracking firm, Democrats have outspent Republicans on abortion rights advertisements in 2023, with over $74 million compared to the Republicans’ $16 million. This spending gap is more pronounced in areas with competitive elections, such as Kentucky’s governor race, where Democrats allocated $1.3 million since September, while Republicans haven’t run any ads on the topic since early August.

Ahead of 2024’s pivotal elections, traditionally conservative states Ohio and Kentucky were the focus of compelling political ads that highlighted the consequences of rigid abortion legislation. The 30-second ad, “Never,” has a very strong message: “She could be your neighbor, or niece, your sister or daughter. But if she is raped and gets pregnant, a law in Ohio would force her to have the child.” The Democratic party’s approach to abortion has shifted from cautious to direct in hopes of gaining votes from people seeking assurance in a post-Roe world.

In Kentucky, Gov. Andy Beshear’s 2024 campaign trail was marked by a powerful testimonial from a sexual abuse survivor, Haley, that evoked empathy with an audience in hopes of influencing their perspectives middle-ground. The ad demonstrates the potential to protect these rights in states where a full ban is in effect.

The current era looks similar to 1973 — a polarized nation. A total of 21 states have enacted strict bans on abortion, such as Texas, Alabama and Missouri. Despite abortion being fully legal in the 29 remaining states, Dobbs v. Jackson makes it clear the legal status of abortion is not guaranteed.

Our current fight for reproductive rights may differ from the 1960s and 1970s, with it serving as a reminder that while our tools and tactics may have changed, the core of the struggle remains the same — the fight for autonomy, equality and dignity.

Therefore, our collective action at the ballot box has never been more critical to preserving the century-long efforts toward protecting women’s productive rights and bodily autonomy.