110 Freeway closures to disrupt weekend travel

Various ramp and roadway closures will likely affect traffic around weekend events at USC and the surrounding area.

By JENNIFER NEHRER
Cars on I-110
Various ramp and roadway closures may affect traffic around weekend events at USC and the surrounding area. The USC men’s and women’s basketball teams are both scheduled to play at Galen Center over the weekend. (Wikimedia Commons)

USC Transportation announced Wednesday afternoon several freeway and ramp closures taking place over the weekend in order to safely demolish a pedestrian bridge over Interstate 110 at 21st Street. 

While most closures will only take place for a few hours at a time, Wednesday’s announcement updated an earlier release by notifying the community that “the Adams [Boulevard] exit from the 110 south will be closed ALL weekend (instead of one night), from 7:00pm Friday night until 8:00pm Sunday night.”

From 11 p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Saturday, southbound I-110 will be reduced to one lane between I-10 and Exposition Boulevard. Crews will begin closing all on-ramps to southbound I-110 and the east and westbound connectors from I-10 around 9 p.m. 

Beginning at 11 p.m. Saturday and extending to 8 a.m. Sunday, southbound I-110 between I-10 and Exposition Boulevard and northbound I-110 between Adams Boulevard and Washington Boulevard will be fully closed. Crews will again begin closing on-ramps and connectors around 9 p.m.

USC Transportation is advising drivers to take alternate routes or public transportation to avoid major disruptions. Two detours — one for northbound and one for southbound drivers — will be in effect during the closures. Those going southbound on I-110 will be directed to exit at the I-10 interchange and reenter at Exposition or Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. Those taking I-110 northbound will be directed to exit at Adams Boulevard and either reenter the freeway at Washington Boulevard or access I-10 using Hoover Street.

USC is scheduled to host a number of events this weekend, including men’s basketball versus UCLA and women’s basketball versus Washington at Galen Center.

(California Department of Transportation)

Trending Posts

ADVERTISEMENTS

Looking to advertise with us? Visit dailytrojan.com/ads.