Men’s basketball aims to end four-game skid against rival UCLA

The stakes at Galen Center are huge, even with both teams struggling this year.

By KASEY KAZLINER
DJ Rodman dribbles the ball while being defended by a Long Beach State player
Graduate forward DJ Rodman, a transfer from Washington State, has a chance for a third-career win over UCLA. (Jordan Renville / Daily Trojan)

While the Trojans and Bruins currently sit toward the bottom of the Pac-12, both teams are playing for something bigger this weekend — the quest for the Los Angeles crown. Last year, USC and UCLA split the season series one game apiece, with both winning at home. At this point in the season, a win for either team would be critical for not only setting the tone for this year’s edition of the rivalry but also returning to the thick of the Pac-12’s best.

Both teams’ seasons have not gone as planned, to say the least. For USC (8-11, 2-6 Pac-12), losing its leading scorer, fifth-year guard Boogie Ellis, and its second-leading scorer, freshman guard Isaiah Collier, to injuries has proven to be detrimental. 

The Trojans have dropped three straight games without Collier and Ellis in the lineup and four total. However, even when the two guards are in the lineup, USC has failed to finish multiple close games off strong, which has been a challenge all season.

“When we’ve built the lead, we’ve kind of let off the gas, and I think that’s something that we’ve got to dial in on,” said junior guard Kobe Johnson in an interview with the Daily Trojan. “We haven’t been the best defensive team throughout the course of the year but we’re still building on the little things.”

Collier will remain sidelined against UCLA (8-11, 3-5), but it is still unclear whether Ellis will suit up for the Trojans. Ellis was iconic in the Trojans’ victory over then-No. 8 UCLA last season, scoring 31 points, with 27 in the second half alone.

“The scoring ability that Boogie brings to the team is like no other player that I’ve ever played with before, so missing someone like that, it’s a huge thing,” Johnson said. “It’s a huge opportunity for other people to step up.”

Regardless, even the darkest of woes can reveal a silver lining. The absence of Collier and Ellis has shed light on other Trojans making big impacts despite the recent losing streak. Sophomore forward Vincent Iwuchukwu is coming off a 14-point, 12-rebound double-double performance against Arizona State (11-17, 5-2), his second time scoring in double figures since both guards’ injuries.

Freshman guard Bronny James has filled the vacant spot in the starting lineup in the wake of the guard position’s recent depletion and has improved since the promotion. James posted 11 points against then-No. 12 Arizona (14-4, 5-2) after having a two-game scoreless skid. And, having the chance to take more shot attempts with the larger role, James has looked much more confident and less hesitant when making plays. 

With such a high-stakes game on the horizon, James will have the chance to prove his highly touted skills even further, especially if he can lead his shorthanded team to victory under pressure, something USC has desperately needed from him. 

The Bruins have been shaky all season despite making the Sweet 16 last year. Much like the Trojans, UCLA has struggled to be competitive in the second half of numerous games, most recently against the Wildcats last Saturday. The Bruins led by as many as 19 points before completely falling apart in the second half, ultimately losing by 6.

Freshman guard Sebastian Mack has been vital for the Bruins but has lacked support from his team. Mack has scored 20 or more points in four separate games this season, but UCLA has lost every single one. 

Sophomore forward Adem Bona has also been a force for the Bruins, specifically inside the paint. Bona is UCLA’s second-leading scorer averaging 12.2 points on a stout 60.7 percent from the field. Bona grabbed 10 and seven boards, respectively, in both games against the Trojans last year, so USC must be conscious of his size and impact down low.

Junior guard Lazar Stefanovic is one other Bruin the Trojans must be wary of. The Serbia native has been on a tear lately, scoring 15 or more points in UCLA’s last three contests. Stefanovic leads the Bruins in 3-pointers made, so on top of defending Bona down low, USC will also have to adjust to the perimeter when Stefanovic has the rock.

“I’ve always wanted to beat them for however long I’ve been in college,” said graduate forward DJ Rodman. “Now, being at the rival school is just something that’s pretty cool.”

With a season-high of 16 points against Arizona, Rodman has also embraced a larger role recently and is a valuable piece for the Trojans as a mentor to the younger players. 

Regardless of both teams’ unideal records, an exciting game featuring young phenoms on both sides, like James and Mack, will be in store. The Trojans have bested the Bruins in six out of their last 10 matchups in what has been a pretty balanced rivalry the last few years.

“When you’re at UCLA, the fans definitely let you have it, and when you’re here, I think we let them have it,” Johnson said. “Everybody’s cheering for their team and it’s just a great atmosphere.”

The Bruins will make the short trip from Westwood to Galen Center to face the Trojans on Saturday at 5 p.m.