We need bathrooms in our dining halls

Students shouldn’t have to leave the dining hall to be able to use the restroom.

By YEJI JONG
(Arielle Rizal / Daily Trojan)

USC prides itself as an emblem of academic excellence and vibrant student life. But despite the glitz and the glamor of campus life, there’s a crucial component that seems to be missing from the Trojan experience: bathrooms in USC’s dining halls.

Imagine walking into the dining hall from a lab or a busy day of clubs and classes. Your hands have been touching different surfaces — books, door handles and phones. There are probably millions of germs on your hands, but the dining hall is serving finger food. You look for a restroom to wash your hands, only to be informed you have to leave the dining hall and go outside to use the bathroom. Clearly, the lack of bathrooms at the dining halls is a hygiene problem. 

The importance of maintaining personal hygiene, especially in a communal dining setting, cannot be overstated. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that you wash your hands thoroughly before eating to prevent introducing germs to your food.

Dining halls are a communal space with thousands of students gathering — hygiene practices should be of the utmost priority. While the staff work tirelessly to keep the space clean, having bathrooms would let students take more initiative in minimizing germs and bacteria. 

Especially considering the recent rise in coronavirus cases in Los Angeles County, communal cleanliness should be the highest priority. While there are hand sanitizing stations in the dining halls, getting in the practice of hand washing before a meal should always be encouraged. USC has rightfully invested in providing nutritious meals, but the absence of nearby bathrooms complicates the process of adhering to basic hygiene practices. 

For students juggling academic pressures and social commitments, the ability to conveniently wash up after a meal is not just a matter of preference; it’s a matter of well-being. After all, according to UCLA Health, hand sanitizer doesn’t effectively wash away the dirt and microbes from a busy day. 

Washing your hands isn’t even the biggest inconvenience: If students need to use the restroom, they’ll have to exit the dining hall and use the restrooms outside, then swipe themselves back in. Even though it only takes an extra few minutes out of the day, it’s tiring and inconvenient. Especially if I’m already in a rush, having to go the extra feet for a bathroom is the last thing I would want. 

UCLA dining halls have bathrooms. We already lost the football and men’s basketball games this school year; we can’t keep letting the Bruins win.

Installing bathrooms within or making them accessible without having to use an extra swipe at the dining halls isn’t just about getting rid of the seemingly small inconvenience of having to leave the table: It’s a proactive step toward promoting a better student life experience in the ways we need every day, not just by giving out free USC tote bags. 

This speaks to a bigger issue: Beyond the U.S. News & World Report rankings, a university’s success is measured by the satisfaction and retention of its student body. Attention to detail on campus plays a crucial role in shaping student perceptions and experiences. 

The absence of bathrooms in dining halls is not just an inconvenience; it’s a missed opportunity to demonstrate USC’s commitment to student satisfaction and well-being. USC has the chance to reassure students that the $75,500 they spend each year on tuition, fees and a meal plan are worth it, and that the University values its students’ everyday experiences. Investing in basic amenities like dining hall bathrooms is an investment in the overall satisfaction and retention of the Trojan family.