No. 7 USC aims to stay perfect against UC Berkeley

The Trojans prepare to host the undefeated Golden Bears in a critical Pac-12 matchup.

By ANDREW NGUYEN
Senior Kaitlyn Dobler has been unbeatable this year, placing first in every breaststroke matchup. She has also been a standout leader. (Bryce Dechert / Daily Trojan)

As the regular season draws to a close, women’s swim and dive is inching toward actualizing its aspirations for both the Pac-12 and national titles. 

But first, USC (6-0, 3-0 Pac-12) must look to avenge last year’s loss to No. 5 UC Berkeley (5-0, 3-0). As the veteran Trojan team looks to remain undefeated this season, the Golden Bears pose as one of their tougher tests.

Friday’s match is the start of a grueling back-to-back weekend, as the Trojans face Stanford Saturday. 

“It is just a great dress rehearsal for what we’re gonna need to face at [the] Pac-12’s and NCAA’s,” said Head Coach Lea Maurer in an interview with the Daily Trojan. “Our focus is on kind of, how can we be our best selves and how can we focus on our bench and what information can we gather [on] that day to feel like we are our best team.” 

USC is coming off an impressive road win against Washington State (0-4, 0-4). In addition to placing first in 10 out of the 13 events, two Trojans left Pullman with new records at Gibb Pool. 

USC sophomore Claire Tuggle shattered the record on the 1650-yard freestyle with a time of 16:41.32 — beating the previous record by eight seconds. Tuggle then finished the day with a 50.67 on her 100-yard freestyle, claiming first place and a 1-2-3 sweep finish for the Trojans for the event. Expect her to step up and push the pace against the Golden Bears. 

Senior Kaitlyn Dobler has led USC in her specialty event, breaststroke, this season. The defending 2023 Pac-12 Champion in the 200- and 100-yard breaststroke has beaten everybody with ease, placing first in every matchup this year.  

“Instead of looking at it [as] the hardest part of the season, it’s the most exciting part of the season … we’re ready for the challenge,” Dobler said. “People are really looking forward to getting the opportunity to race these teams and set up what it’s going to be like at [the] Pac-12’s.” 

Dobler’s impact also goes beyond the pool as the leader during the Trojans’ momentous run. 

“She’s absolutely the quintessential leader,” Maurer said. “She models what to expect … she believes so wholeheartedly in her teammates, and they have no choice but to believe in [themselves.]”  

The Trojans also displayed a team showcase with senior Caroline Famous, senior Anicka Delgado and Tuggle each leading the Trojans’ scoring line with 18 points, bringing their individual points past an impressive 700 for this season. Famous placed first, winning the 100- and 200-yard backstroke, while Delgado placed first in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard butterfly.  

“We’ve been on these relays together for such a long time, it’s like second nature. When my hand goes on the wall, I know Dobler is going to be first in,” Famous said. “When you have a relay [team] like that … it’s really special, and I’m hoping we can really make a big appearance at [the] NCAA’s.”  

The Trojans boast a star-studded lineup, which may challenge their opponents to keep up with its pace. A win would hold immense meaning for the Trojans, given Berkeley has established itself as a national and Pac-12 contender.

“Everyone is really dialing up their best self and inviting people into the fold,” Maurer said. “It’s maybe one of the more unified and kind groups that we’ve had. And that’s exciting.” 

Many of its swimmers, such as senior Isabelle Stadden and junior Mia Kragh could challenge the Trojans’ scoreline in their respective events.  

Stadden dominated the 100- and 200-yard backstroke, including a first-place finish in the European Under 23 Swimming Championships for the United States, while Kragh has the eighth-fastest time in the nation for 100-yard fly.

A win here would give the Trojans a boost as they enter the final phase of their season toward the Pac-12 Championships and NCAA women’s swimming and diving championships.  

USC will host the Golden Bears Friday at 1 p.m. at Uytengsu Aquatics Center.